[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kanye West
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (370 KB, 1203x803) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
370 KB, 1203x803
Is he the most important artist of the 21st Century?
>>
The College Dropout only sold 10,000 copies, but everybody who bought one formed a band.
>>
No, MBDTF is still alright, but Kanye fell off years ago.
>>
>most important artist of the 21st century?

no

>most important hip-hop artist of the 21st century?

so far yeah.
>>
>>65334169
short answer: yes
long answer: no
>>
808s is the most influential album since The Chronic
Prove me wrong
>>
>>65334169
Yeah. If by important you mean most influential on a large scale. He sort of introduced hip hop to white middle class america, made hip hop a serious and respected art form appreciated by everyone in the world not just blacks and wiggers. Also spawned soooo many knock-offs and a subgenera with 808s.
>>
>>65334342
>>
>>65334530
Are you fucking joking?
>Who is Eminem
> made hip hop a serious and respected art
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
>>
>>65334582
You're probably too young to remember, but serious, respectable people were shaking their heads at Eminem - and his bathroom-graffiti-equivalent art - until he came back from retirement the second time.
>>
>>65334807
It's not a question that he is responsible for bridging the gap for white people in hip-hop though.
>>
21st century schizoid man.
>>
>>65334530
>introduced hip hop to white middle class america

except that had already been done by countless artists before it, of varying degrees

Dre
Snoop
Beastie Boys
Run DMC
ATCQ
LL Cool J

and for the newer era

Nelly
Eminem
Ludacris

Among MANY others. I seriously don't think i've seen a more incorrect and frankly retarded thing said here ever. Maybe you're just a liar, because that is simply false.

>made hip hop a serious and respected artform

What is Wu Tang
What is ATCQ
What is NWA
What is Public Enemy
What is fucking anything else in the realm of hip hop you can think of

Fuck it your post must have been bait
>>
>>65334867
Kanye still did much more for pushing hiphop to the front of the mainstream
>>
>>65334867
No he's not. .

>>65334807
>you're probably too young to remember

yet I wasn't
>>
>>65335005
See
>>65335033

Same thing
>>
>>65335033
nope

Hip hop was already a platinum selling genre with radio play, try again
>>
>>65334342
you probably call a rock artist the most important artist of the 20th century even though that's obviously wrong, so why are you not fine with calling the most important artist in the most popular genre of the 21st century the same?
>>
>>65335058

see

>>65335005

Just because you repeat it doesn't mean you are correct

also see

>>65335076
>>
>>65335033
Kanye started a few careers and a few gimmick trends in hip-hop, that's about it.
The fact that he lost it right after MBDTF proves he was nothing more than a spark.
>>65335050
Beastie Boys too but no one made more waves than Eminem in the 90s and early 2000s though.

As well as the sheer amount of people he made careers for.
>>
>>65334169
In terms of being a diva sure, like britney spears would have been, or christina aguilera

Let's look at his track record

A string of pretty good albums up to the massively overrated mbdtf (which is still good), then yeezus (which is garbage), then tlop (which is also garbage).

He's important as a cultural figure, but an important artist must be more than someone who tells us he is important. 808s used autotune, wowwww you mean like t pain? In that case, T Pain is also important, and in the case of Kanye, all of his writers are also important.

If we're using popularity as measure, Bieber is also very important, as is One Direction, if we're using innovation and creativity, then no, Kanye is not that important. Just a beat maker who eventually got a team of writers to further the Kanye brand and do "crazy" shit in the media.
>>
>>65334169
He is the most influencing pop artist of the first decade of the 21st century, take it how you like.

>>65334867
>>65334807
>>65334582
>>65334530

Yeah, you're both really stupid if you think white youth didn't like hip hop before Kanye/Eminem. This guy knows his shit - >>65335005 - white mainstream started absorbing hip hop ever since the early-mid 90's, and by the time Eminem released his album it wasn't on a small scale anymore either.
>>
>>65335165
But he followed it up with a better album?
>>
>>65335245
>he is the most influencing pop artist

how?

explain pls
>>
>>65335286
Name one more influential
>>
>>65335245
White hip-hop fans != white people in hip-hop
Yes there were white fans even in the 80s.
But TBB & Eminem were the primary spear-headers.
>>65335249
On Sight-New Slaves would have been EPOTY. But it drops off severely after that so Yeezus is shit.
>He is the most influencing pop artist of the first decade of the 21st century,
What's pop in this context exactly?
Or do you just mean mainstream radio artist?
>>
>>65335050
>Eminem made hip-hop serious and respected
Ayy lmao, you clearly were
>>
>>65335391
No one did because Hip-Hop is not a serious or respected genre of music.
>>
>>65335311
Eminem

I think if you make an argument for Kanye you can make an argument for Lil Wayne as well
>>
>>65335336
Yes I assumed by pop we were talking about mainstream artists only
>>
>>65335391
Except critics loved Lose yourself you fucking dolt.

Please leave if you don't have anything worth saying.
>>
Guys you can agree 50 Cent and Lil Wayne were more influential than Kanye and Em btw

No one has had the peak of 50 Cent
>>
>>65335454
I'd still give it to Eminem.
Even though he lost it at Relapse, while most people would say TES.
His name was just everywhere during that time and I can't think of anyone near his relevancy at the time.
I'd say his closest was Wayne.
Kanye pretty much picked up when they fell off though.
>50
>more relevant than the person who made him
no
50 was alright until his shootings, and then that was his legacy.
Wayne and Eminem were too close to give one to the other.
>>
>>65334530
>He sort of introduced hip hop to white middle class america
Vanilla Ice and Eminem would like a word child
>>
>>65334201
kek
>>
>>65334169
he's the closest thing to einstein in this generation t b h

>>65334201
underrated
>>
>>65336428
NAME ONE GENIUS WHO AINT CRAZY
>>
>>65335087
>it's good because it's popular
I fucking hate hip hop fans so fucking much. These morons literally judge music by how many albums moved opening week; they are consumerist little rats and I want to bash every one of their heads in
>>
so far yes

with one more studio album with a meteoric effect like GKMC and TPAB kendrick could be comin' in hot though
>>
KTT pls go
>>
>>65336635
all me
>>
>>65336635
yes but alright then who is the most important one
>>
>>65335087
>you probably call a rock artist the most important artist of the 20th century

>rock musician
>most important artist ever

why would you ever assume something so retarded.

I wouldn't even credit kanye with being the most influential Musician of the 21st century, which is why I specified Hip-hop.
>>
>>65334169
death grips
>>
>>65336689
Because if you don't like HH, you're automatically only into rock according to a lot of HH shitters.
>>
>>65334169
yes and everyone who doesnt think so should fucking blow off their head with a fucking shotgun barrell to the mouth
>>
>>65334201
lost
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.