[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stereolab
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: 2.jpg (265 KB, 1073x946) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
265 KB, 1073x946
>was able to pull off noise rock
>was able to pull off shoegaze
>helped start the genre of post-rock along with other bands
>was able to pull off 60's styled pop
>was able to pull off motorik-styled krautrock
>was able to pull off industrial
>was able to pull off funk
>was able to pull off lounge music
>was able to pull off electronica

How were they able to do so many different styles and (mostly) be successful at it?
>>
I really really like their early stuff, the repetitive noise/shoegaze shit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_r1td1iRsg
>>
>>65330927

I like the little piano at the end of that song, what's your favorite Stereolab song man?
>>
>>65331057
High Expectation. Even if it's not that noisy. I just love how mellow it is. Yours?
>>
>>65331164

Oh man, it's hard to pick a favorite from that era.

>John Cage Bubblegum
>Lo Boob Oscilatorr
>OLV 26
>UHF MFP
>Lo-fi
>Nihlist
>the Nurse With Wound collabs
>Golden Ball
I know Stereolab has an album that has over a million views on Youtube and another album with an 8/10 but it doesn't feel like they're discussed enough. They have a lot of gems that people overlook imo.
>>
Sound Dust is fantastic.
>>
>>65330726
Not industrial or noise rock, but otherwise they did pull off all of these genres
>>
>>65331287
The thing I find about stereolab is that they have an overwhelming amount of material from the length of every one of their albums, to their EPs and then all their B-Sides on top of that, it's fucking ridiculous.

From 1992 to 1997 (they released six albums in that time alone, unless you count Space Age Bachelor Pad Music, then its seven) they didn't stop releasing great material.
>>
>>65331472

Isn't their debut pretty much heavily influenced noise rock?

Also they did experimental with industrial with the Nurse With Wound collabs on Switched on Volume 2.
>>
I didn't listen to them for a long time because I hate how the instruments got lower in volume when the vocals start on Tone Burst. Other than that I like the track. Any recommendations based on that? Not Transistent Random Noise, something else like it
>>
>>65331472
at least half of TR-NBWA is noise rock
>>65331643
try Peng! or Emperor Tomato Ketchup
>>
>>65331552

You forgot about the two comp albums which are both pretty good for comp albums. IIRC one of the ep's material (I forget which one it was, it was another EP besides Space Age Bacholer Pad Music) wasn't included with the comps.

So you have in that timeframe; 5 albums, 2 stand alone EPs (or maybe one, I forget) and 2 comps, along with probably a bunch of other oddities, which are high quality for the most part imo.
>>
>>65331643
Switched on Vol 1 and 2 are comps that have tracks in similar styles iirc, also >>65331673.
>>
I liked McCarthy, so where's a good place to start with Stereolab for me?
>>
Stereolab is a band I keep trying to get into because on their own I love 60's pop, motorik beats and repetition but I dunno, I'm barely ever blown away by this guys' later material. The stuff up to Noise Bursts is all wonderful but I'm not a fan of the cleaner sounds they adopted later.

Cool drumming on Parsec, doe.
>>
>>65331794

I only heard one track off of Mccarthy, but Stereolab is pretty different in terms of sound, in fact most of STereolab's albums sound completely different to each other.

>Peng!

a bit of a rocky debut(im) with some good songs that are heavily influenced by noise rock and 60's pop ( I think it's mostly supposed to be a deconstruction of the whole idea of 60's pop.)

>TRNBWA

Same as Peng! but with shoegaze and a bit of punk, and imo higher quality as an album.

>Switched on Volume 2:

Comp of some of their early singles, Nurse With Wound collabs, and some Neu!-influenced jams in between

>Space Age Bacholer Pad music

60's pop + Krautrock + Pink Floyd

>Mars Audiac Quintet

A LOT more organ synths, and the noise has settled down a bit compared to previous albums.

>Emperor Tomato Ketchup

It's more groove heavy and electronics are used more in it.

>Dots and Loops

Heavy lounge and electronica influence, the noise is mostly gone at this point but I think the album holds on its own.
>>
>>65330726
Stereolab is one of my favorite bands and I just think they are very very talented musicians
>>
do dododo dodo do
>>
Fab Four Suture is underrated
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.