[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people on /mu/ feel obligated to like the same music.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5
File: 1463935112978.jpg (28 KB, 313x334) Image search: [Google]
1463935112978.jpg
28 KB, 313x334
Why do people on /mu/ feel obligated to like the same music.
You guys know what I'm talking about;
>Animal Collective
>Modest Mouse
And the list goes on and on
>>
>>65330600
Whats your favourite dub and favourite modern funk/soul album?

I've been enjoying a lot of Mad Professor, Scientist, Marta Ren and Hannah Williams myself.
>>
I don't like AnCo, Modest Mouse, or Radiohead. What do I win?
>>
Jesus Christ, liking Modest Mouse on /mu/ was law?
>>
>>65330600
I like Animal Collective so much I can't even begin to explain

Modest Mouse is mediocre and I don't ever go out of my way to listen to them
>>
>>65330600
Because this board is full of loser teenagers who think Pitchfork and Anthony Fantano are basically God.
>>
>>65330665
I didn't know you listened to dub turny
>>
File: Untitled.png (14 KB, 332x156) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
14 KB, 332x156
>>65330922
I listen to a lot of music, I don't know why people think I only listen to old dance music and BRUK?
>>
>>65330827

>modest mouse
>mediocre

Hey pal it's okay, not everything we Americans do makes sense to you savages.
>>
>>65330982
Didn't mean disrespect, did I hit a nerve?

I've been listening to The Upsetters a lot lately
>>
>>65330600
Because they are popular with that age group that browses /mu/.
>>
They're just the most popular bands here. You don't have to like them
>>
>>65330600
Modest Mouse is shit
Animal Collective is ok
>>
>>65331310
No not at all, just find it odd is all.

14 Dub Blackboard Jungle is an amazing album, do you like Mad Professor at all, been really enjoying most his works. I used to have that No Protection album but really learnt to appreciate it over time.
>>
and you posted a fucking simpsons photo which is one of the whitest malest things you could do?
>>
>>65330665
Basic duba and funk taste
Don't see anything Persian
>>
>>65331376
That's cool, I plan on listening to No Protection one of these days but as yet no I haven't listened to him. Do you know much about his solo work? Have any favorite albums by just him?
>>
>>65331406
>whitest malest things
Kill yourself.
>>
dude AnCo is on the verge of being on the biggest bands out there in general

last 3 albums have made it inside the top 50 of the billboard 200

I picked up Painting With at the god dam library yesterday
>>
>>65330665
I discovered Leela James not too long ago. She has a nice old raspy tone to her voice.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mnYZDapj1tQ
>>
More like, why are people on /mu/ obligated to only complain about others tastes instead of discussing their own.
>>
>>65331474
>last 3 albums have made it inside the top 50 of the billboard 200

that doesn't mean they're "one of the biggest bands out there". they've only ever had one song in the top 40
>>
>>65331435
You knoe any Persian dub or funk, that would be cool to hear, really Persian.

>>65331450
I meant hate, I used to just wait for the lyrics to kick in, drove me nuts. As for MP, Psychedelic Dub and The Roots Of Dubstep is worth listening to as well.

>>65331482
Name rings a bell, not sure how much I've heard. Try Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings and Hannah if you like that raspy sound. Charles Bradley too ofc
>>
>>65331547
Ta.

(Any song you'd recommend?)
>>
>>65332030
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fojrEzlygOc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBdSZIZjUsk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBdTVmSVq14
>>
>>65332158
>the second video girl's voice.
Sounds like she could do rock, too. Saved.
>third guy's putting a piece of his soul into every word.

Goddamn. Is it true he was "discovered" when he was 62? Awesome to see people making it, not just early in the game.
>>
>>65332602
He sung before but his first released album wasn't until 2011 I think. Awesome voice though, you should grab his new album too.
>>
>>65331406
>whitest malest things you could do
Yea, go ahead and kill yourself faggot
>>
File: folder.jpg (382 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
382 KB, 1000x1000
Best Modest Mouse coming through.
>>
>>65333104
I see, thanks for the recs. I know you listen to BRUK, we used to chat in old AFGJ threads. What do you think of Phuturistix? Know of any artists like them?

This Choon is a banger.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p-_0Nx-_dIA
>>
>>65330794
Award for being a contrarian faggot
>>
>>65331467
>>65334167

not sure why you are so mad. OP complains about meme taste and posts the most generic suburban american show of all time. irony?
>>
>>65330600
>people share musical interests
The only explanation is they feel obligated, not that people with similar interests group together.

I browse /mu/ because the musical opinions and philosophies of the board are more comparable with my own, which allows discussion much more interesting than I could find someplace like reddit.

My question for you OP is why do people on /mu/ automatically assume people with different tastes than them are mindless sheep to the overlord mind of plebian poptimists? And why can they only use the same words to casually disregard them?
>>
File: 20130527.gif (46 KB, 612x755) Image search: [Google]
20130527.gif
46 KB, 612x755
>>65331474
>AnCo
>one of biggest bands out there
>>
File: 1461946944350.jpg (66 KB, 638x647) Image search: [Google]
1461946944350.jpg
66 KB, 638x647
>>65330600
>Wavves
>Literally any other punk band
>>
>>65330600
It's literally the same shit on every single music site where hipsters gather. Whether it's /mu/, RYM, last.fm, you name it's, it's the same Radiohead and Neutral Milk Hotel worship everywhere. Originally it was just people wanting to be different so they started to listen to these artsy indie rock bands that "no-one knew" and now it's just new people trying desperately to fit in so they listen to the same bands. I always feel like a compelete outsider when I look at chart or collage threads because I don't listen to indie rock or waporwave like pretty much everyone else on this board but I don't feel like forcing myself to like /mu/core so whatever.
>>
>>65330794
Of course you dont.

>trying this hard
kek
>>
Modest mouse was my teenage angst band and I still think they're god tier.

I always thought AnCo was shit, but that was only because I used to be a contrarian faggot and only dismissed them because of how hard they were shilled on /mu/ a few years ago.

My opinion has since changed tho
>>
>>65330600
nice dubs
I don't feel 'obligated' to like anything. I just find some of /mu/core appealing (AnCo, radiohead, Swans) that's all. Death grips, for instance, is really annoying and sappy.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.