[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who is the Tarkovsky of music
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: 1442530888914.jpg (86 KB, 634x480) Image search: [Google]
1442530888914.jpg
86 KB, 634x480
Who is the Tarkovsky of music
>>
>>65315190
something that seems like it has a thematic element but you're not quite sure what it is hmm..
>>
first thought was spiderland
in any case it has to be something really entry level that is also actually good
>>
>>65315304
I think a lot of tarkovsky's works have very easily understandable thematic elements. They just are more apparent with repeated listens. So id say swans, sigur ros and maybe some of bjork's more avant garde work.
>>
>>65315390
Why is tarkovsky entry level? What would be beyond him? Honestly asking
>>
>>65315190
Tarkovsky is probably Gas
>>
>>65315415
Stalker andrei rublev and solaris are pretty easy to understand films. "The mirror", and his later post soviet union works are not entry level however
>>
>>65315415
Considering you have directors like, Michael Snow, Jonas Mekas, Jose Luis Guerin, or Stan Brakhage, Tarkovsky is totally what we could call entry level.
>>
>>65315190
I watched this two times and I have no idea what it is about.
>>
>>65315503
The mirror is only hard to understand if you overthink what you see. Because it really isn't.
>>
File: image.png (559 KB, 500x975) Image search: [Google]
image.png
559 KB, 500x975
>>65315415
Here you go
>>
>>65315598
the only way to truly get this movie is if you have a background in russian poetry. most westerners that pretend to like it don't actually get it
>>
>>65315660
Cringe
>>
>>65315667
let me guess: mirror is one of your favorite movies and you never read a verse of poetry in your life? :^)
>>
>>65315700
Wrong on both, reddit
>>
>>65315630
Nicholas Ray who worked in hollywood with the likes of Humprey Bogart and Joan Crawford with his million dollar budgets is level 2. While Tarkovsky which most people find boring to watch is level 1.
Alright then...
>>
>>65315725
I think I hit a nerve. I also think you don't actually understood mirror and probably think it's supposed to be a non-sensical string of images.
>>
>>65315630
>Tarr significantly higher than Lynch

Hmmm...
>>
>>65315781
I mean, no matter what you tell yourself you're still wrong, Reddit.
>>
>>65315769
We Can't Go Home Again is more difficult than anything Tarkovsky ever did.
>>
>>65315820
yep, you don't actually understand it. I suggest you start with pasternak and then move on to more contemporary authors. once you're able to read and appreciate his father's poetry you may be able to get zerkalo
>>
>>65315873
Why, Reddit? I don't care to watch it again. Why are first year film students so obsessed with Tarkovsky?
>>
>>65315909
I'm not obsessed, but your heated reply to my initial comment made me try and educate you. not many people actually get this movie, you shouldn't feel bad about it
>>
>>65315944
So why are you obsessed with Tarkovsky? There are tons of directors with a genuine depth to their films that require considerable historical and literary knowledge to fully appreciate. No need to pretend here that Tarkovsky's associational cinema of the self is the same.
>>
>>65315853
When i was at film school, i had to do this presentation for History of Cinema class in which we had to pick a film maker and explain how his work is modern cinema. We had to show 20 minutes of a the film and then talk about it. I picked Tarkovsky.
Some of my colegues in the end complained on how dull those 20 minutes felt. Film students!
Granted i haven't watched that film from Nicholas Ray yet, but i will.
>>
>>65316021
He's just trolling you. The only thing you need to better understing of The Mirror is having some basica general knowledge of modern Russian history and that's it.
>>
>>65315587
Yes but I can never seem to find a director beyond "entry level" that still retain some sort of storyline

Like who thinks Mike Snow is a the next step from Tarkovsky
>>
>>65315630
all the normal people I know just won't stop talking about Bergman and Herzog, I mean really is there ANY one who hasn't seen Wild Strawberries? Get some taste
>>
File: Stalker.jpg (97 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Stalker.jpg
97 KB, 600x600
This of course.
>>
>>65315660
>pretend to like it
>implying
>nice bait
>>
>>65315487
this
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.