[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Pioneered noise rock >Pioneered punk rock >Pioneered
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (139 KB, 1287x1271) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
139 KB, 1287x1271
>Pioneered noise rock
>Pioneered punk rock
>Pioneered Shoegaze
>Pioneered heavy metal
>Pioneered Dream pop
Now please tell me why The Velvet Vnderground are not the greatest band of all time?
>>
What world are you living in where VU aren't considered amongst the 5 best bands of all time?
>>
>>65308592
In 4chan.
>>
They are. Normalfags will tell you it's the Beatles, but that's out of ignorance. VU&N and White Light White Heat are the aphex of Western popular music
>>
>>65308755
apex*
>>
they are!!!
ok let me tell u about the velvet underground
>
i was the 14 year old in the realease, very aqkward silentr but i loved it!

then i made a banned calldf the new pioneers with my friend IPJFSD}P bob scott

wee were the best high school nabd tut they didnt like the way we wa

so they banned us

we released an akbun called fuck the motherfucking fucks

and verygood

and velvet ndergroung, well, expired us to do it! so yesm, the y are the best band all time.
>>
>>65308755
Dubs confirm, but s/t is better than WLWH desu senpai
>>
>>65308545
Rock sucks.
>>
>>65308909
no rock doestn suck !!!! :(((

if it sucks, why do they call it rock? tjey call it rock becuz it ROCKS!!!
>>
>>65308942
Thanks for using a trip.
>>
>>65308755
You're looking at it wrong, the Beatles made the Velvets possible. Yes, that's what people used to call them, deal with it.
>>
File: IMG_0478.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0478.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
Post your copies /mu/

Got the 5 disc set at a store for $20
>>
Its just boring. Doing something first doesn't equal quality.
>>
>>65308545
You forgot twee pop and post-punk.
>>
Why are Velvet Underground underground fantards so awful? They literally make shit up about their accomplishments and influences every single time they're brought up. All of this shit is just baseless speculation that you can't possibly back up. They're even worse than Beatles fans. Just take this guy for example >>65308755
>>
>>65309013
Name music that you think isn't boring.
>>
>>65309054
Why is it a lie that The Velvet Underground were a pioneering Art-Rock group? It's established fact.
>>
>>65308545

>Pioneering stuff means that the stuff is as good as the future stuff.

Time for this meme to die.

Also, they have 3 great songs in their entire discograpy. Venus in Furs, Heroin, and Sister Ray.

Their biggest accopmlishment by far is Sister Ray and if it is not in somebody's personal top 50 list of songs then that person is a pleb.
>>
>>65309063
Miku
>>
>>65309110
Try listening to one of their albums with the sound on next time.
>>
>>65309110
>Time for this meme to die.
I would definitely say songs like Venus in Furs, All Tomorrow's Parties, Heroin, etc. are better than their followers' efforts.

Though I give John Cale the credit.
>>
>>65308545
Pioneering =! Perfecting
>>
>>65308545
Because something that makes "Godspeed You Black Emperor!" the greatest band of all time.
They are great just by selling them.
>>
Literally name one thing The Velvet Underground did that wasn't already done by a blues musician.
>>
>>65308545
>>Pioneered noise rock --> Velvet Underground actually
>>Pioneered punk rock --> The Stooges
>>Pioneered Shoegaze --> The Jesus And Mary Chain
>>Pioneered heavy metal --> Lou Reed
>>Pioneered Dream pop --> Cocteau Twins
>>
>>65309129
now your post make sense.
>>
>>65309275
...?
>>65309280
Were blues musicians making noise rock...? and playing with atonality?
>>
>>65308781
no he meant they are the "aphex twin" of Western popular music
>>
>>65309320
I thought Aphex Twin was the "Aphex Twin" of Western popular music.
>>
File: IMAG0234.jpg (3 MB, 3024x5376) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0234.jpg
3 MB, 3024x5376
>>65309009
Masterpiece
>>
>>65309313
You take this band very seriously huh?
>>
This album is shit and Lou Reed was a talentless hack and every TVU fan is a white hipster Starbucks-drinking faggot
>>
>>65308833
I reported you
>>
>>65309424
I'm a white grean tee drinking hipster and I like VU.
>>
>>65309424
At least I have a gf faggot
>>
>>65308545
this is one of the greatest albums of all time faggots, get over yourselves. And yes, in great part because it came out in 1967. Do you know that context and works of art are inseparable?
>>
>>65309285
I think this thread it's the only one who makes sense in this entire post.

Thanks anon for having written this thread
>>
File: image.png (145 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
image.png
145 KB, 640x360
>>65309971
>think this thread it's the only one who makes sense in this entire post.
>>
I like TVU, but they're overrated as fuck.
>>
pioneering something =/= good

And that's what i feel about VU. They had really great ideas, but they didn't knew what to do with them. They have some nice songs, but overall i don't think there's a full album from them i can enjoy. They're very incosistent imo.
>>
Rock music, like all arts, grows like a tree. Because the 60s were early in that tree, every major band has a lot of outgrowths. For example:

> The Beatles
Freak Folk, Psychedelic Pop, Jangle Pop, Progressive Pop, Neo-Psychedelia

> The Who
Power Pop, Mod Revival, New Wave, Punk, Britpop, Prog Rock, Oi!

> The Rolling Stones
Glam Rock, Glam Metal, Punk, Punk Blues, Country-Rock, Alt-Country

> The Doors
Goth, Neo-Psychedelia, Garage Rock Revival...

> The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Speed Metal, Blues Rock, Punk Blues, Punk Funk, Space Rock, Post-Rock

and so on. Every major band has tons of major branches that grew out of them. Take it back another generation - imagine how many bands you'd have to connect back to people like Robert Johnson.

My point: yeah, the VU were massively influential. So were a lot of other people.
>>
>>65309373
delete this
>>
>>65308545
Because they only pioneered parts of those aesthetics and didn't develop them further. Still a great band though.
>>
>>65308755
literally this

someone asked me what is probably the best band in music and none of my friends had any clue who the velvet underground were
>>
File: black monk time.jpg (61 KB, 319x319) Image search: [Google]
black monk time.jpg
61 KB, 319x319
>>65308545

>>Pioneered noise rock
>>Pioneered punk rock

*cough*
>>
>>65308545
>Pioneered Shoegaze
>Pioneered heavy metal
Could you provide an example.
>>
>>65312101
This meme is stupid.
Was this meme from that thread a while back about WL/WH being the first noise rock album?
>>
>>65312428
>Venus in fur
>Sister ray
>>
>>65312456
Since none of those sound remotely like heavy metal, I'm afraid the wall of sound technique they use there isn't shoegaze and it isn't a novelty either since Phil Spector invented it.
>>
>>65312439

it's not a meme, Black Monk Time was the first noise rock album. it came out even before TVU&N.
>>
>>65308545
>Pioneered noise rock
yes
>Pioneered punk rock
yes
>Pioneered Shoegaze
no
>Pioneered heavy metal
no
>Pioneered Dream pop
no

2/5, OP
>>
>>65309356
You were wrong
>>
Faust was better desu.
>>
>>65312601
>>65312601
>>65312601
>>65312601
>>65312601

THIS

Faust s/t>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>anything TVU did
>>
>>65312528
It's not noise rock.
>>
>>65312645

how is it not noise rock?? I mean it's not like Big Black or something but it's often pretty dissonant and somewhat abrasive, especially for the time.
>>
>>65312101
Also Freak Out has some songs that could qualify as punk rock like Hungry Freaks and the album was released a year before TVU&N
>>
>>65309971
fuck you dick this thread is downvote bad thread commenting dick faggot suck
>>
>>65309285
>>65309971
>>>Pioneered heavy metal --> Lou Reed
Yeah....
>>
>>65308991
>the Beatles made the Velvets possible
lmao you're delusional, they hated the beatles
if anything they did the exact opposite
>>
>>65313829
Lou Reed hated The Beatles, John Cale admired them. John Cale also hated Dylan and Reed was a Dylan wannabe when he started out.
>>
>>65310930
I know you're jealous
>>
>>65313901
there's zero beatles in TVU's sound. do you hear any beatles influence in Cale's viola playing?
>>
>>65313970
You're talking to two different anons, I was refuting your point about
>they hated the beatles
>>
>>65313901
>Lou Reed hated The Beatles,
you can't trust anything he says, he lied in many of his interviews. He also claims to have hated the beach boys but he played in a beach boys cover band when he was younger
>>
>>65314068
This is one he seemed to have stuck with throughout the years though
>>
>>65309285
>Pioneered punk rock --> The Stooges
I'm assuming OP refers to proto-punk. Many different artists throughout the 60s developed the sound that would become punk rock, in many cases independently: the venezuelan Los Saicos, The Sonics, The Kinks, Monks. The Velvet Underground is one of these and arguably the most influential out of the bunch. The Stooges win a trophy for kickstarting actual punk rock (while also making proto-punk).

>Pioneered Shoegaze --> The Jesus And Mary Chain
Venus In Furs has showed very early some of the elements that would be the trademark of shoegaze. It's not a shoegaze song, but a clear pioneer.

>Pioneered heavy metal --> Lou Reed
I actually disagree with this one. For me metal started with Black Sabbath.

>Pioneered Dream pop --> Cocteau Twins
Like so many other instances, VU has a few tracks that anticipated the genre.
>>
>>65310660
underrated
probably the best post on /mu/ right now
>>
>>65308991
The Beatles pussified rock. Bands like VU kept it original spirit.
>>
>Too busy sucking on a ding-dong
what did he mean by this?
>>
The Rolling Stones were arguably a bigger influence on the first generation of punk than TVU were.
>>
Because better than being the first at something is to be the best at something. TVU were first in a lot of stuff, but the best is better. Just because you're first doesn't mean you're best.
>>
>>65314412
That's such a fallacy. You can't be the best at genres that didn't even exist at the time. They were doing their own thing and were magnificent at that. If I somehow took how influential they were away from the weight of my scores, TVU&N and White Light/White Heat would still be 10/10 in my book for their sound alone.
>>
Since we're having this discussion...Dylan's really underrated as a precursor to punk in a lot of ways imo. Subterranean Homesick Blues, Maggie's Farm, Outlaw Blues, On the Road Again, Bob Dylan's 115th Dream, the entirety of Highway 61 Revisited besides Desolation Row and Rainy Day Woman #12 & 35 are all very similar to punk in aesthetic and attitude.
>>
File: IMG_20160601_134950.jpg (2 MB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160601_134950.jpg
2 MB, 1944x2592
>>65309009
Picked up the picture disc recently, saw it at a shop and recognized it from here so thought I'd give it a spin. Best purchase I've made in a while.

IM
WAITIN FOR MY MAN
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.