[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would say were the essential hip hop albums and artists
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 1438071894827.jpg (28 KB, 597x593) Image search: [Google]
1438071894827.jpg
28 KB, 597x593
What would say were the essential hip hop albums and artists to check out if you wanted to make your own hip hop album?
>>
what?
are you saying you want to make a hip hop album, but you don't even know the essentials?
and you're not going to try to make a song first?
>>
>>65287726
There's some hip hop I like, I just don't know loads about it as a genre. However, the way I write songs lends itself better to rapping than singing so I thought it would be a good challenge. But obviously I'm not going to just decide I can waltz and make a hip-hop album without knowing my shit.
>>
>>65287687
kys culture vulture
>>
>>65287847
I'm black you fucking tard. I was just raised nearly entirely on top 40 chart stuff and I've only recently listened to anything else and tried to write my own stuff
>>
>>65287927
>I'm black
>fucking tard
>recently listened and tried to write

k y s
y
s
>>
>>65288052
How's your music projects coming along?
>>
I think you can create a very interesting album by reading about the structure and sound of hip hop music, without actually listening to it, before you make your own stuff.
>>
>>65288252
anything in particular?
>>
File: 1462692632696.jpg (7 KB, 255x220) Image search: [Google]
1462692632696.jpg
7 KB, 255x220
>>65287927
>>
Madvillainy
Paul's Botique
>>
>>65288737
cheers
>>
The Roots- Things Fall Apart
Madvillain- Madvillainy
Young Thug- Barter 6
Maxo Kream- Maxo 187
Black Moon- Enta Da Stage
Scarface- The Diary
Eric B & Rakim- Paid In Full

Then you can make a decent hip hop album. The trick is, don't listen to one area or specific sub genre. Widen your tastes. Bump some Denzel Curry and Montana of 300, then chill out to some Outkast and DJ Screw. Bump some GZA and Capital Steez, then let Doseone and Busdriver confuse the living shit out of you. It's that simple kid.
>>
MF DOOM
Madlib
Nujabes
DJ Shadow
J Dilla
Beastie Boys
>>
>>65288874
>>65288847
nice one fellas
>>
>Study your syllables
You sound corny if your syllables aren't tight. You can only do so much in a bar, don't try to oversaturate it.
>Find good beats
Listening to someone try to make hip hop beats when they have only heard the bare minimum top 40 is pretty cringe, so listen to some good producers to get a feel for how to do it (differs between what kind of hip hop you want to make)
>Focus on your punchlines first
Every good rapper starts off talking about fuckin bitches and getting money when they start, but you develop as an artist when you fill in your lines with macho bars or funny punchlines. Simple, but a classic choice
>Try freestyling AND writing
You're not an emcee if you can only bust writtens or you can only go off the dome. Practice both and find a balance, it translates well to recording.

Any questions?
>>
>>65288959
can you elaborate on the first one?
>>
>>65287687
The Low End Theory: Model your bass-lines after the ones on here. Also your kicks and snares should be identical to the shit on here. Also the rhymes are impeccable

cLOUDDEAD: Listen to this to learn how to add atmosphere to your music.

ATLiens: This album creates a mood that makes the replay value on it sky high. Andre and Big Boi have excellent flows and rhymes on here, but the album doesn't take itself too seriously.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.