[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /mu/, I'm currently pursuing a doctorate in music history
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: 123.png (984 KB, 1035x704) Image search: [Google]
123.png
984 KB, 1035x704
Hey /mu/,

I'm currently pursuing a doctorate in music history at Juilliard, and I want to speak with you all about the topic of my dissertation. I need to collect a certain amount of data and (believe it or not) you all count as a noteworthy music discussion forum. So without further ado;

The more I've learned about music, the more I've realized that there are really only about three or four songs written.

I know-- it's kind of an abstract concept, but I've spent the last two years of my life trying to prove this. I was half inspired by the "Only Six Faces" trope which, simply stated, says all human faces are a unique variance on a set of 6 generic "perfect" faces.

But the rest of the inspiration came from my own ear, and the incredible resemblance of three songs to every other song I've studied throughout my 20+ years of academia.

The weirdest part for me is that the three base songs I've successfully identified actually came roughly 400 years after the abundance of music had already been written, and an even weirder part is that they're all by the same band. I originally only identified the first, but through experimentation I've proven the other two. They are:

1. I Want You to Want Me - Cheap Trick
2. Surrender - Cheap Trick
3. Dream Police - Cheap Trick

The fourth spot is reserved for a potential candidate on Cheap Trick's newest album "Bang, Zoom, Crazy... Hello," which I have not yet finished testing. Unfortunately I can't reveal the reason behind Cheap Trick's ethereal and flawless execution of the generic songs, but I'm hoping my dissertation will break some ground and promote further investigation into the thesis.

So please /mu/, to further test my hypothesis and collect data for my dissertation, I need you to post any songs that may be an entirely unique and original composition.

Thanks for the help!
>>
Have you considered Cheap Trick's Can't Stop Falling In Love?
>>
>>65284739
I think maybe you need to get back on your meds, OP
>>
>>65284846
I've tested all of Cheap Trick's songs. Only the three I listed were generic-ly original enough to make the list. The rest of their catalog is actually based on the three.
>>
>>65284847
haha I know how crazy it sounds. Trust me, I have upward of 600 pages already written on it. There's data.

I'd release it if I could.
>>
Smash Mouth - All Star?
>>
>>65285040
That's actually a third generation branch of Surrender.
>>
>>65284979
>has written 600 pages
>won't share data
this was obviously bait, but as an academic let me confirm this is not how the dissertation process works
>>
Have you listened to anything by arto lindsay?
>>
>>65285121
Well it's not as simple as just copying and pasting it. This is music after all.

A large percentage of the 600 pages is analysis on transcriptions of songs that haven't otherwise been written down.
>>
>>65284739
So how come there's music before cheap trick existed?
wtf am i reading. I'm being trolled so hard...damn i better leave this thread and deleted from my memory.
>>
>>65285220
Cheap Trick is the generic culmination of all music, not the genesis of composition.
>>
Eight Miles High?

Original, not Husker Du
>>
>>65285257
What's your name so I can read your dissertation when it's done?
>>
File: 2001.jpg (8 KB, 196x149) Image search: [Google]
2001.jpg
8 KB, 196x149
>>65284739
>nah you'll nick it pal sod off I'm hoping to play it a week Tuesday
>>
>>65285212
>>65285330
I've written these down by the way.

I should mention I've already gone through most charts, hit singles, etc.

>>65285376
Amerigo Baldini
>>
>>65285376
Piero Scaruffi
>>
So from Arabic psychotic hashish jams, African tribal grooves, Asian "twinky twonky" music, European classical, folk music etc come:

MOMMY'S ALL RIGHT, DADDY'S ALL RIGHT
THEY JUST SEEM A LITTLE WEIIIIRD
>>
>>65285257
Really looking forward to see your explanation on how Hildegard von Bingen music can be observed on Cheap Trick.
And i mean that.
>>
>>65285463
your name doesn't come up with a page in their music history department. mind giving a link to any proof you actually go there?
>>
>>65285569
Actually, I'd prefer it if you didn't try and scope out my entire life.
>>65285533
It's not as simple as that. Rarely, if ever, are full lines ever found. The three songs collectively contain every rhythm and melodic discrepancy imaginable, albeit in small snippets.
>>
>>65285533
What OP is doing is actually valid and interesting, there are extremely subtle similarities between any types of music. I was in a music theory class a while back and someone wrote a paper comparing tibetian throat singing and a movie score.
>>
So just as further proof that Cheap Trick has a certain intangible godly-ness to it, I sang Surrender to my dog.

What resulted was unmistakable proof that Cheap Trick's music has something spiritual to it. How else could my dog have responded?

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0xVFgf7c0YV
>>
File: Photo on 5-30-16 at 6.19 PM #2.jpg (161 KB, 1080x720) Image search: [Google]
Photo on 5-30-16 at 6.19 PM #2.jpg
161 KB, 1080x720
>>65285927
Here's my dog by the way
>>
File: Adele.jpg (140 KB, 1279x959) Image search: [Google]
Adele.jpg
140 KB, 1279x959
>>
>>65285927
>>65285992
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiX5AN1XiZg
>>
>>65284739
>are really only about three or four songs written.

it's like the

'there only 7 story narratives in all of mankind' thing

it needs huge sweeping generalizations to work,

In time everything that has ever been will be reduced to photons fuzzing in space, so yeah, kind of...

but for the purposes of music appreciation,

nah.
>>
>>65285649
okay well then you're clearly lying. youve given your name and your institution, so it should be as simple as looking you up.
>>
>>65286166
he's studying at juiliard so I think he's probably more right than you are
>>
>>65286080
Hihmyson,Christopher reeves is actually hitler christ adele
>>
excellent b8 OP

no one on /mu/ goes to Juilliard we aren't talented enough
>>
>>65286263
nah.
>>
I'm 90% sure this is an early Tim and Eric bit
>>
>>65286263
we've established he's lying. try to search his name in connection to music, music history, or Juilliard
>>
so what about harsh noise or field recordings
>>
What about Merzbow and similar artists?
>>
>>65286300
I wouldn't go that far. I had a chance to go to Eastman but I turned them down to go to SFCM (lol). Some people on here are very talented and hard working young orchestral musicians.
>>
>>65286263
>appeal to authority

faggot
>>
Have you considered that generic doesn't exist, and you're just an wellemployedidiot?
>>
>20+ years of academia
>ridiculous hypothesis
>not willing to detail what underpins it
>wants 4chan's advice
no way this is real, but if it is you're hopeless
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.