[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do you think they suddenly went post rock by the mid 1980s?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 0a66225b9da0cbdad2bbe010.L.jpg (50 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
0a66225b9da0cbdad2bbe010.L.jpg
50 KB, 500x500
Why do you think they suddenly went post rock by the mid 1980s? They were having such a streak with the whole new wave/synthpop thing earlier?
>>
Talk Talk, led by singer Mark Hollis, formed in England in the early 1980s. From the start, Hollis cited jazz and classical artists like Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Béla Bartók and Claude Debussy as major influences. But Talk Talk's first two albums, The Party's Over (1982) and It's My Life (1984), did not readily reflect such influences; critics compared the band to contemporary new wave groups, especially Duran Duran. Hollis partly attributes the shortcomings of their early music to a financial need to use synthesizers in place of acoustic instruments.

Although critics did not favour the band's early output, the first two albums were commercially successful in Europe. This gave Talk Talk the money needed to hire additional musicians to play on their next album, The Colour of Spring (1986). The band no longer had to rely on synthesizers. Instead, musicians improvised with their instruments for many hours, then Hollis and producer Tim Friese-Greene edited and arranged the performances to get the sound they wanted. A total of sixteen musicians appeared on the album. The Colour of Spring became Talk Talk's most successful album, selling over two million copies and prompting a major world tour.[2] At the same time, minimalist songs like "April 5th," "Chameleon Day," and the B-side "It's Getting Late in the Evening" pointed towards the band's next direction.[3]
>>
>>65273101
>From the start, Hollis cited jazz and classical artists like Miles Davis, John Coltrane, the list goes on...
>>
>>65273129
kek
>>
File: 1464534103207.jpg (214 KB, 658x595) Image search: [Google]
1464534103207.jpg
214 KB, 658x595
>>65273129
>>
>>65273129
Hollis on suicide watch
>>
>>65273065
They had become rich and took the opportunity to make something they really wanted to make all along
>>
>>65273129
I don't get the insult, a talented musician took inspiration from other talented musicians and you turn it into a meme?
>>
>>65273300
They're jealous they'll never make something like Laughing Stock
>>
>>65273300
>>65273322
>it's a joke
>>
>>65273300
heh... I'll turn YOU into a meme
watch this

>*snaps fingers*
>*you turn into a meme*

pssh... piece a cake......... *flicks lighter and lights a cigarette*
>>
>>65273344
*teleports inside you*
>>
Same thing what happened with Scott Walker and Radiohead. They all got a bunch of money from popular music so they had a lot of freedom to make music that truly interested them, even if it was risky.
>>
Heroin

I'm serious
>>
>>65273065
It was Mark Hollis' decision from the start. They couldn't afford the album they wanted, so they settled for making two mediocre albums until they could break free from their contract. If they didn't break free we would have never heard Laughing Stock and Spirit of Eden
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.