[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can you beat me?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7
File: music.png (14 KB, 363x481) Image search: [Google]
music.png
14 KB, 363x481
Can you beat me?
>>
Oh the viruses
>>
File: gibibytes.jpg (93 KB, 731x471) Image search: [Google]
gibibytes.jpg
93 KB, 731x471
ezpz
>>
>>65251938
Hm?
>>
>>65251954
Pretty nice, my dude, what should I add to mine
>>
>>65251993
Convert everything to flac, it will sound better and have bigger file size.
>>
File: maki (22).jpg (43 KB, 512x408) Image search: [Google]
maki (22).jpg
43 KB, 512x408
>>65252029
>transcodes
>>
>>65252029
Wouldn't converting mp3 and wavs to flac not change anything though? Does it really work like that, I thought that would just be destructive
>>
>>65252065
No flac is higher quality, I read it on head-fi.
>>
>>65252065

Hearing the difference now isn't the reason to encode to FLAC. FLAC uses lossless compression, while MP3 is 'lossy'. What this means is that for each year the MP3 sits on your hard drive, it will lose roughly 12kbps, assuming you have SATA - it's about 15kbps on IDE, but only 7kbps on SCSI, due to rotational velocidensity. You don't want to know how much worse it is on CD-ROM or other optical media.

I started collecting MP3s in about 2001, and if I try to play any of the tracks I downloaded back then, even the stuff I grabbed at 320kbps, they just sound like crap. The bass is terrible, the midrange...well don't get me started. Some of those albums have degraded down to 32 or even 16kbps. FLAC rips from the same period still sound great, even if they weren't stored correctly, in a cool, dry place. Seriously, stick to FLAC, you may not be able to hear the difference now, but in a year or two, you'll be glad you did.
>>
>>65251899
I've got 3 terabytes of 60's pre-ambient

800 gigs of live recordings of this local band called the fuckerfucks. They played only 2 shows before breaking up but I had 11 redundant recording rigs all recording flac which I then layered over one another for 25,000 kbps bitrate.

8 terabytes of the beatles. No not THOSE beatles, the new beatles. They haven't recorded an album yet and technically they're not really a band yet but they're indie-gospel-post-funk-punk style is going to be huge when you guys hear their stuff in about 5 years.

4 petabytes of the Ethiopian Free Jazz wave that occurred in 1973 in a town called Wenji Gefersi.

18 terabytes of sound check recordings from the mid 90's band LFO. They only scored a hit with "I like girls (who wear abercrombie and fitch)" but they were way ahead of their time.

That's just my C: drive. I have 41 drives.
>>
>>65252132
>>65252158
absolutely epic
>>
>>65252132
This, but even CDs are imperfect. I've discovered during the last two years, since I can take CD-Rs home from the mastering plant, that there's an astonishing variation in quality between different CD plants. If you think digital is perfect, I have news for you. Many of us have been fooled by this myth that it's just 0s and 1s and therefore copies perfectly. It doesn't. The variations in quality are pretty wild, and random. Just the way you hook up a cable can make a difference. And there's no quality control in these CD plants, other than someone checking whether there's any level being transferred.

Most of us take it for granted that a CD is a CD, and we almost never discuss about varying standards of manufacture. I can't say too much about current US manufacturer's because I have few US made CDs. I have still detected a general shrillness to many US CDs ("let's tweek the high end to make them sound sharp to delude the general public that our CDs sound better than vinyl and tape"). Tweeking the high end also accentuated the hiss. After so many disappointments and revelations having heard import versions after getting US discs I have concentrated on acquiring import pressings.

As for maunfacturers themselves: on the import side I like the clarity of Nimbus UK but they can be hissier and lighter on low end than MPO France which produces well rounded sounding CDs. PDO have been fine except for the recent PDO UK disc rot problem. Sonopress in Germany are adequate. I used to shy away from DADC in Austria (Sony Europe uses them) but have realised that was a personal bias. Nimbus USA (Virginia) vary. Their reissues of the OMD catalogue were shoddy. DADC in Indiana (Sony/Columbia) are so so.
>>
>>65252132
Could you provide me some sort of batch flac converter
>>
>>65252132
love this pasta t b h
>>
You all just lost the game.
>>
>>65252370
doesn't even have all of death grip's shit. imagine what else is missing...
>>
>>65252261
In the off chance you're being sincere, you've replied to copy pasta. Also converting mp3 -> flac will do nothing but give you a larger file size. If you want FLAC files, rip from a lossless source (e.g. CDs)
>>
I'm not home but mine is around a terabyte, and all on slsk for downloading.
>>
>>65252429
Yeah that's what I thought, that made no sense, I can never tell when you guys are being serious
>>
File: music2.jpg (113 KB, 378x488) Image search: [Google]
music2.jpg
113 KB, 378x488
Pic related

>>65252370
Why do people still think it's superior when it's missing a bunch of stuff?
>>
>>65252426
Exactly... every RH album except In Rainbows. Radiohead!!! Come on!
>>
>>65252426
>doesn't even have all of death grip's shit.
how is this a bad thing
>>
File: Capture.png (1 KB, 37x13) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
1 KB, 37x13
100, 200 giggerpoops
is that what passes for a fat librey on neomu
s m h a t m t b p h w y
picrel
>>
>>65252500
mp3s do not degrade in quality either. a 10 year old mp3 will sound exactly the same as it did 10 years ago
>>
9 weeks 2 days 4 hours

Running time is the only true criteria for dickwaving, filesize is for flacfags
>>
File: 1.jpg (114 KB, 549x514) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
114 KB, 549x514
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.