[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>take music appreciation class as an elective >worried
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1462455350965.png (53 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
1462455350965.png
53 KB, 645x773
>take music appreciation class as an elective
>worried about the class not being about listening to my favorite /mu/core but everyone says it's an easy A so whatever
>find out the professor actually has a lot of useful and insightful things to teach us
>listen to classical, jazz, dadrock, and scarufficore over the school year
>using what I learned in class, realize it's all very interesting musically
>however, miss the intense emotional reaction I got from /mu/core favorites
>try to listen to previously beloved /mu/core for the first time in a while
>tfw not finding it as amazing as I remembered it to be
>tfw can't stop thinking how trivial the composition is, or how derivative the musical ideas are
>tfw now only listen to music to coldly analyze and appreciate it instead of actually emotionally moved by it
>tfw will never have an intense emotional reaction from music ever again

Has anyone else gone what I've been through?
Is there any way to "plebify" myself again?
>>
it's okay anon. you can air out your insecurities here, but I don't believe you actually believe what you're saying. I've made probably close to 100 threads on /lgbt/ about how I'm not gay but I love dicks. I think it's pretty much the same thing you're doing.
>>
Don't worry, OP. You're the biggest pleb of all if you lose the ability to enjoy something just because you can analyse it.

I mean I'm amazed you were even able to enjoy entry-level /mu/core from the get go you're so pleb.
>>
sounds like you missed the point of the class
>>
Was it just this last semester? Unless you're specifically trying to foster that overanalysis, it will probably slowly wane.
>>
Most /mu/core is objectively bad music

Congratulations on realizing this
>>
Most /mu/core isn't that good, congrats on realizing it [1]
>>
sort of experienced this before but i just change my listening habits
>>
>>65249901
yeah that's why i didn't take a class like that. did history instead
>>
well a lot of /mu/core takes from previous sources that are equal or even better sometimes. Radiohead's style is similar to a bunch of bands and artists like Robert Wyatt, MBV, a bunch of britpop, Neu, Can, Stereolab, a bit if of Nick Drake ( I think) the list goes on. (as an example)

Rock Bottom by Robert Wyatt is great. What /mu/core are you talking about in specific?
>>
>>65252641

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Radiohead just seems so thin compared to those artists. I used to think they were the most unique and emotional band ever, but now I'm getting bored of their music.
>>
>>65252887

well you can only listen to the same few albums so many times.. I do this a lot too but I branched out a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2TUb51oukc

this reminds me of a better version of Bloom, it's from the Rock Bottom album by Robert Wyatt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tvj4VLmkl0

I like this track because of how raw it sounds (imo). They manage to create something awesome with just a few chords and by combining it with a bunch of other instruments in the background.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.