[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Disco "gay" music? because it was played at
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: village people.jpg (32 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
village people.jpg
32 KB, 300x300
Why is Disco "gay" music? because it was played at nightclubs?
>>
because a lot of the people who made it and enjoyed it were gay or atleast sucked 2 dicks in a platonic way as a product of the times
>>
>>65242485
platonic
>>
>>65242437
Because the music style isn't "conventionally" "masculine"
Neither is homosexuality
Put them together
>>
>>65242437
Because op pic related
>>
>is
It WAS "gay" (even then it was kind of straight, at least wherever Saturday Night Fever was concerned). Then Daft Punk came along and put out Discovery. Now the stigma's mostly gone.
>>
>>65244667
That's the biggest load of bullshit ever. /mu/'s ignorance of the history of house music astonishes me.
>>
>>65244853
I was talking about the public perception of disco. People who were not EDM fans gave no shits about anything that happened between Funkytown and Discovery.
>>
Because it was the soundtrack to the 70s, and despite the meme people killed disco because they were racist and homophobic, the 70s were much more tolerant of blacks and gays than the decades immediately before and after.
>>
>>65242437

>Disco = Philly Soul + Northern Soul - funk musicians + gay songwriters and musicians
>Arrangements designed to create and sustain euphoric high
>Largely female-sung inviting the listener to emphasis with the female perspective in the relationship
>Heavily-sexualised subtext to the lyrics

You can see why it resonated with gays so much, bar a brief 2-year period at the end of the 70's when the breeders briefly got on board, until even the gays got sick of it. 'Disco' was never really 'disco' after 1981.

Whilst some new wave acts experimented with disco ('Atomic'), cheap synthesizers meant the sound hardened away from the sleazy and sexual into a more 'street' vibe. This was Freestyle, Italio House and Hi-NRG in the 80's, and it was still largely a Gay Thing until about '86 or so.

However, the gay sound crossed over into the mainstream, probably due to the popularity of Stock / Aitken / Watermen's bargain bin Hi-NRG artists - first with 'You Spin Me Round' by Dead or Alive, and then an endless series of shit-tier, inexplicably-popular singles that teenage girls loved to dance around their handbags to.

The guys got on board probably due to New Order's experiments with dance music and the rise of cheap ecstasy and rave culture in the late 80's. First acid house, then baggy, then techno straightened out dance culture. These sounds went in and out of vogue based upon the readily-available drugs at the time. Baggy = E. Techno = Speed.

This is Australia, Europe and South America. Maybe the drug culture simply didn't infect mainstream American society.
>>
>>65242437

^Oh, I forgot both Chicago House and Industrial too on the American side of the pond.
>>
>>65242437
Disco wasn't just popular with the LGBT community. It was also popular amongst women, African Americans, Italian Americans and liberals.
>>
>>65245927
This. However early House is popular and popularize with LGBT community, especially black faggots
>>
File: R-2518789-1288431955.jpeg.jpg (81 KB, 598x600) Image search: [Google]
R-2518789-1288431955.jpeg.jpg
81 KB, 598x600
not all disco was gay, actually most cover art had semi naked girls
>>
File: R-19003-1322344854.jpeg.jpg (41 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
R-19003-1322344854.jpeg.jpg
41 KB, 400x400
>>
File: 0.jpg (64 KB, 576x768) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
64 KB, 576x768
>>65246071
Gay also meant woman on woman action and there are woman who are attracted to feminine female parts. Just like I'm attracted to pic related
>>
File: R-162452-1274380102.jpeg.jpg (52 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
R-162452-1274380102.jpeg.jpg
52 KB, 600x600
>>
Mostly because so many men fucked to it.
>>
>>65245018
>....people killed disco because they were racist and homophobic.....

Not true at all! First of all, a lot of people saw disco for what it was: Nothing more than watered down funk that was made safe for the masses, so it could be mass produced and commercialized. Very much the same way "Pop Punk" is polluting young people's minds. Racist? many of us who hated disco were fans of disco's roots, and that was FUNK! Homophobic? Many of us were fans of Judas Priest, Lou Reed, David Bowie, and 1970s Queen. We didn't want this commercialized pablum shoved down our throats. Not all of us did coke, and we thought Studio 54 and everybody involved with it was plastic and phony. The final straw for many of us was that awful "Stars on 45" record sampling The Beatles.! That was going too far, and disco had to be murdered!
>>
this was a really good docu, lots of footage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz5c8gfrf-o
>>
>>65247314
thanks anon
>>
>>65246803
breaking news: disco had (and has) a huge underground scene, and there were countless independent labels releasing disco.
excuse me, was you say something? :)
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.