[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The "Click"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (432 KB, 1409x1431) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
432 KB, 1409x1431
What's the longest amount of time an album has taken to "click" with you?

This can mean a specific number of listens, but it can also mean a long amount of time between your first listen and the listen that clicked.

Faust's s/t took the longest for me. I remember liking it the first time I listened, but, even though I loved many works in krautrock and kosmische musik, I couldn't feel it as anything monumental until around a year later, after several listens...then some sort of switch turned and it's become one of my favorite records. Felt like a punch to the stomach, a slap to the face, and a hug all at once.

By the way, TMR was an instantaneous click for me, I'm glad to say! Makes me happy to listen to it. Don't feel the need to analyze anything past that.
>>
Lemme sort in chronological order, the albums in which it has taken several listens in my lifetime:
CKY - Carver City: 2
Pestilence - Spheres: 2
Cynic - Focus: 3
Bjork - Homogenic: 2
Gorguts - Obscura: 5
John Zorn - Naked City: 3
Beefheart - TMR: 1
>>
>>65238992
why did Homogenic take so long, anon? It seems pretty catchy and easy to get into to me.
>>
Took Spiderland like 10 times. Couple times listening to it on youtube for lack of a better way, then I got it on CD, sold that CD, and gave it a final chance when I saw another CD copy of it for like 5 bucks, and that time it clicked
>>
>>65238639

Second on Faust's debut.
>>
>>65239169
2 listens isn't so long

tho I was immediately into it
>>
>>65239287
Still haven't gotten spiderland, though it may just not be for me
>>
File: Commercial Album.jpg (428 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Commercial Album.jpg
428 KB, 1000x1000
Sings Reign Rebuilder took like 5 full listens.

The Commercial Album took 12 attempts to make it through it.

The commercial album was more worth it, even though there are certainly better residents albums to start with.
>>
File: 1464361574969.jpg (37 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1464361574969.jpg
37 KB, 720x720
>>65238639
>Teenagers actually fell for the "it takes a while to really GET xD" meme
>Poseur teenagers actually force themselves to listen to stuff they cant unfrrstand to look smart
>>
File: First_utterance.jpg (463 KB, 1500x1488) Image search: [Google]
First_utterance.jpg
463 KB, 1500x1488
If I can make it through something, it's not too often I don't get it.

First Utterance took 2 attempts but now it's one of my favorite albums.

The Seer took like 3. Really should have sat down and listened to each disk at a time.

Soundtracks for the Blind took like 2 attempts but that was more my expectations.

>>65241001
>implying some music can't be too strange/complex to understand it on the first listen
>>
>>65240416
I think everyone finds different things in Spiderland, honestly. I like the atmosphere and the kinds of things it conjures up in my imagination.
>>
>>65241042
You can't "understand" music if you cant play any instrument or don't know music theory.

If you knew either, you wouldnt be still listening to beefheart and yly certainly wouldn't be wasting time on "hurr durr multiple listens" shit.
>>
>>65241178
You're a pretensious cunt, you know that?
>>
>>65241230
>Listens to pseudo muck like beefheart
>Calls others pretentious
>>
>>65241253
OP here,

As I said in the opening post, I liked TMR at first listen not because it was a masterpiece of avant-rock, but because it made me inexplicably happy. I had a bowl of beef stew and played mahjong solitare and was thrilled to death. Literally my happiest memory.

Do you have to "understand" music to enjoy it and recognize it?
>>
>>65241001

Whatever the mechanism, it is evident that taste can change in response to pressure to listen to something more carefully. You can call it "Stockholm syndrome" if you want, but I think it is very interesting that a person can hear music and not like it, and then listen to it with a different mindset , emotional outlooke, orexpectations, and then hear things in it that they didn't hear before.
>>
>>65241178
t. snobby high school jazz band kid who pretends to understand everything because he knows scales
>>
When I first discovered King Crimson back in 2009 I listened through all their albums and the only one that didn't click with me was Red. I didn't really start to appreciate it until about 2 years ago
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.