[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>I have non-generic, obscure, and interesting taste. >Merzbow,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9
File: eye roll.jpg (98 KB, 500x362) Image search: [Google]
eye roll.jpg
98 KB, 500x362
>I have non-generic, obscure, and interesting taste.
>Merzbow, Boredoms, Gerogerigegege, Coil, Throbbing Gristle, Whitehouse, Nurse with Wound, Einstürzende Neubauten, Brainbombs, Death in June, Current 93, La Monte Young, Moondog, Lou Harrison, Henry Cowell, Luigi Russolo, Popol Vuh, Fishmans, Jean Jacques Perrey, Les Rallizes Dénudés, Rainbow Caroliner, Taj Mahal Travellers, Fushitsusha, Peter Brötzmann, John Cage, Scott Walker, Unwound, Dead, Frank Zappa, Morton Feldman, Captain Beefheart, Pharoah Sanders, Albert Ayler, Ornette Coleman, Alice Coltrane, Arnold Schoenberg, Pierre Boulez, György Ligeti, Karlheinz Stockhausen, Thinking Fellers Union Local 282, Raymond Scott, Delia Derbyshire, Daphne Oram, Terry Riley, Peter Sotos, Boyd Rice, Henry Flynt, Kazumoto Endo, David Tudor, Half Japanese, Secret Chiefs 3, Keiji Haino, Ramleh, Otomo Yoshihide, John Zorn, Joe Meek, Faxed Head, Harry Partch, Wesley Willis, Fred Frith, The Residents, Sun Ra, Sun City Girls, Hans Krusi, Royal Trux, Jandek, Loren Mazzacane Connors, The Dead C, Comus, Cromagnon, Eliane Radigue, The Red Krayola, Opus Avantra, Pan.Thy.Monium., Murmuüre, Gong, cLOUDDEAD, Muslimgauze, the list goes on...
>>
I had high hopes for this meme, I really did. I really thought it could shake things up on this board, but it just kinda fizzled out.
>>
>>65237246
I would support you if you did that on other boards.
tell me what to do if I see you doing that there
>>
File: Mr.Skull.jpg (842 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Mr.Skull.jpg
842 KB, 1920x1080
>the residents

Nigga you don't even try.
>>
Inferiority Complex - The meme
>>
>>65240061
Im not defending the residents but your takeaway from this post, albeit baitpasta, is hard cringe
>>
>>65237480
It got spammed too hard & made into a general. It wasn't done right.
>>
File: Commercial Album.jpg (428 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Commercial Album.jpg
428 KB, 1000x1000
>>65240131
I know it's pasta, but I love the residents too much to not get a little up in arms whenever I see this pasta.

Their discography is FAR from flawless, but they have more creativity in a single album than most bands have in an entire discography.
>>
tryhard/10
>>
the fuck is wrong with clouddead?
>>
>>65237246
>why can't these tryhards just be content with kanye bieber?!
>>
File: 9af.jpg (19 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
9af.jpg
19 KB, 512x384
>>65240103
>>65240369
People aren't making fun of you because you're too deep for them, people are making fun of you because your taste in entry-level RYMcore exposes you as a drone and a dilettante.
People are making fun of you because it's blatant that you have no actual familiarity with the "deep" music you claim to appreciate, because if you did have familiarity with it you would have gone past those entry-level artists and discovered the less obvious ones ages ago.
>>
>>65240453
I'm not reading your shit but its is pretty clear people are crafting some avantteen strawman in their heads that intimidates their musical taste so they like reposting this meme over and over again to prove to their own egos that there isn't a real threat.

It's one of the more depressing things I've seen on /mu/ lately.

As an aside what is the best album to start with for The Residents?
>>
>>65240453
not gonna lie, I haven't heard of half these bands, and I've never participated in RYM
>>
>>65240453
if you weren't an insecure poser yourself you'd understand why "entry level" is an asinine concept and "moving beyond" music is a childish attitude
>>
>>65240453
poseur: the post
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (70 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
70 KB, 1920x1080
>>65240496
>I'm not reading your shit

You should, it would clear up a lot of confusion for you.
>>
>>65240453

Hey buddy, the poser club is three blocks down!
>>
You're like 6 or 7 years late on this meme, buddy.
>>
File: 0.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
>>65240501
>and "moving beyond" music is a childish attitude

Not at all, I'd expect anyone who's really into a genre to explore it way beyond the most popular artists. The average poseur doesn't do this, he just sticks with the most well-known ones because he doesn't know how to actually dig deeper.

>>65240541
Mhm.
>>
>>65240496
Avant-teens don't even exist any more. They've moved on to poptimism ages ago and who knows where they are now.
>>
>>65240612
so, what beyond-entry-level bands do you recommend oh trve one?
>>
>>65240576
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNw4PwVYzSs
>>
reminds me of being a little high schooler and putting all this thought into what bands i'd list on my profile
>>
>>65240734
I'm a big fan of this obscure Vietnam avant-noise band. I got into them through a cassette that came out on Merzbow's old cassette label back in like... 1984, I think? Or maybe 1985. I recommend them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0-PUDjNycQ
>>
>>65240453
t. person who holds others to a standard of understanding he himself does not have, even though his favorite bands like Radiohead and Death Grips are simple and could be understand fully in an afternoon spent reading
>>
I listen exclusively to album covers converted into sound using Audacity. The result is far more patrician than any intended music.
>>
File: First_utterance.jpg (463 KB, 1500x1488) Image search: [Google]
First_utterance.jpg
463 KB, 1500x1488
>>65240453
Ever considered maybe "deep" is overrated and I just want to hear stuff that's a little weirder/scarier than what I'm used to?
>>
File: 1463270058258.png (327 KB, 514x518) Image search: [Google]
1463270058258.png
327 KB, 514x518
>>
>>65240826
ok, that was kinda funny
>>
>>65237246
really unfair to mix important 20th century composers like Cage and Cowell and Harrison and eclectic improvisers like Zorn and Frith with a bunch of shitty "experimental" pop acts, but whatever
>>
>>65241753
They all have the same audience so fuck you
>>
>>65241787
they really don't, you seem really uninformed. there's a ton of history and analysis that goes into understanding the former's music, and the later is so expansive that you'd have to really work to be familiar with all their collaborators and styles. Like obviously dumb teenagers on here like them, but there are plenty of dumb teenagers who 'love' a Love Supreme without knowing how to listen to a bebop solo, and so can't even begin to understand what they're listening to.
>>
>>65241854
Ok but get this

Frith was on The Residents' label and played on plenty of their albums. So you stop liking him right now or admit you're a dumb gay pleb. Your choice my guy.
>>
File: jukhoibkj;b.jpg (47 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
jukhoibkj;b.jpg
47 KB, 500x281
what's the point in taking a horse out of its grave to beat it to death?
>>
Trying to construct taste in such a way that your taste is "interesting" to an observer is totally pointless. There's always gonna be someone else with more obscure shit that they use to form a superiority complex around. Listen to music for the sake of personal enrichment instead of trying to form an identity around it. It doesn't add depth to your character when you try to use music taste in place of an actual personality, it only makes you more shallow, mono-dimensional, and banal.
>>
>>65240612
I don't understand this argument. Digging into genre's in search of gold usually only reads to finding a metric fuckton of derivative crap, that only poorly imitates the well-known artists that you mock others for listening to. This is especially true in such "avant-garde" genres as drone, noise, and power electronics. Digging into a genre, in the way you describe, is nothing more than filling a hunger for a certain aesthetic niche with the artistic equivalent of McDonalds.
>>
Memes aside that is quite a good taste in music
keiji, zorn, frith, cage, ornette, otomo and the dead c are all names i like to see
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.