[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Death Grips
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: Bottomless_Pit.jpg (31 KB, 640x378) Image search: [Google]
Bottomless_Pit.jpg
31 KB, 640x378
Can someone explain Death Grips to me? I really dig their music but it feels very alien to me. It seems like they are following a certain aesthetic and are a part of some kind of scene, but they are really different from every other thing I've listened to in my life.
Their sound is very odd to me (mostly a listener of classical, jazz and folk/blues/traditional stuff and some experimental rock), it sounds like a combination of electronic pop music and some undergroud elements.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck4Swcx7R30&ab_channel=GIFS_
>>
>>65232003
jesus what is this. So many memes and irony surround this band
>>
They arent following a scene they are the scene
>>
>>65232272
but what about the layers of memes and jokes about this band? I can't even understand if people are just making fun of them or are just making stupid shit up for no reason...

I mean, I'm a big fan of free jazz and all sorts of experimental music, but Death Grips are the most cryptical music act that i know of. Mainly because I know shit about hiphop and internet memes
>>
>>65232355
people are just fucking stupid. theres nothing you need to know about them and their relationship with "memes". its just the horrible fans this band has man.
the thing is their "scene" its kind of the internet if thats a way to put it, and like a guy said before, they are the scene man
>>
>>65232530
but what about the lyrics and the videos? They seem so fucking foreign to me. I've never had much problems with appreciating weird and underground art...
>>
>>65232612
Just. .. fuck if you don't like it. Don't listen to it. That's it. You're up here trying to make people convince you to like death grips. If you listen to Beware and you don't like it, then that's it move on to The Antlers.
>>
>>65232686
no, no, no. The thing is, I really like them. But I only see it as extremely abrasive hip-hop. The band seems to be a little more than that, but I can't really grasp it.
>>
>>65232756 not the guy you were talking to before;
they mastered the manipulation of loyal fans

most bands bow to their loyal fans or are just fully quiet.
These guys actually observe their fans and know how to react. whether its merch, album releases, or just really weird posts. They're internet "vets" too, so its not them learning on the fly. i guess you can tell this because for the amount of fans they have and downloads they've gotten, their videos aren't relatively "viral" besides guillotine, which says how diverse and loyal the fans are
>>
Edgy music for edgy kids
>>
>>65233033
can you explain this in more detail?
>>
>>65232756
well, if this helps, they said they were not a band: “Death Grips was and always has been a conceptual art exhibit anchored by sound and vision. Above a ‘Band.’ its what they wrote in a napkin for their "breakup".
have you seen these kind of things they do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRjpti9C7XU

http://www.theneedledrop.com/articles/2012/04/death-grips-retrograde/

its really really hard to know what the fuck is going on with them man
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.