[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vinyl records are just overpriced placebos these days. Prove
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: vinyl-record-fruit-bowl-design.jpg (32 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
vinyl-record-fruit-bowl-design.jpg
32 KB, 500x375
Vinyl records are just overpriced placebos these days.

Prove I'm wrong.
>>
>>65227522
They're nice objects and they look and feel pleasant
>>
>>65227543
Nothing different from placebos
>>
File: BirdOnAWire-Compression2-Small.png (112 KB, 400x272) Image search: [Google]
BirdOnAWire-Compression2-Small.png
112 KB, 400x272
if it was recorded analogue it will sound better analogue but if it was recorded digital, it probably won't sound any better played back analogue over digital.

peaking levels sounds like shit on digital, it can be bad on analogue too but can also add flavor at times. so most digital recordings are compressed (not the same as MP3 compression) to shit to avoid peaks and valleys in the wave form. Digital may be clear but sounds flat because of this compression. you won't hear it on shitty speakers or with a shitty table but it becomes clear with mid to high end hi-fi gear.
>>
>>65227522
All vinyl records have encoded sounds that you can access and listen too. They also include a piece of visual art.

Most if not all placebos do not have these features. Unless pleasure derived from those things is just muh placebo effect.
>>
>>65227522
You should stick to vinyl. I've discovered during the last two years, since I can take CD-Rs home from the mastering plant, that there's an astonishing variation in quality between different CD plants. If you think digital is perfect, I have news for you. Many of us have been fooled by this myth that it's just 0s and 1s and therefore copies perfectly. It doesn't. The variations in quality are pretty wild, and random. Just the way you hook up a cable can make a difference. And there's no quality control in these CD plants, other than someone checking whether there's any level being transferred.

Most of us take it for granted that a CD is a CD, and we almost never discuss about varying standards of manufacture. I can't say too much about current US manufacturer's because I have few US made CDs. I have still detected a general shrillness to many US CDs ("let's tweek the high end to make them sound sharp to delude the general public that our CDs sound better than vinyl and tape"). Tweeking the high end also accentuated the hiss. After so many disappointments and revelations having heard import versions after getting US discs I have concentrated on acquiring import pressings.

As for maunfacturers themselves: on the import side I like the clarity of Nimbus UK but they can be hissier and lighter on low end than MPO France which produces well rounded sounding CDs. PDO have been fine except for the recent PDO UK disc rot problem. Sonopress in Germany are adequate. I used to shy away from DADC in Austria (Sony Europe uses them) but have realised that was a personal bias. Nimbus USA (Virginia) vary. Their reissues of the OMD catalogue were shoddy. DADC in Indiana (Sony/Columbia) are so so.
>>
>>65227522
>placebos
um, I don't think this word has anything to do with the situation. The records surely are actual records and not just designed to look like them
>>
>>65227522
>placebo

nope. they sounds quite a lot different, for better or for worse.
>>
>>65227886
Compression is applied during the mastering stages. It has nothing to do with recording the music. I would be hard pressed to believe anyone on here could tell the difference between a high end tape recording and a digital one.
>>
>>65227522
lmao faggot, you're gonna need to deal with it
new pressing plants are being opened up, and those kinds of investments are only made if there's a future in vinyl
>>
>>65227522
well i like them
>>
>>65228195
It's more that the digital mediums allow mastering engineers to brickwall everything, which many do to improve sound quality on shitty speakers, but it kills dynamics on high end speakers. This typically isn't done on records, due to both physical limitations and the fact no ones going to listen with earbuds or laptop speakers. Cassettes can fuck off though, people hear about the high quality of mastering tapes and for some reason equate that with the tiny cassette tapes. I've recorded onto some proper tape and it sounds fucking amazing though.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.