[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why didn't you tell me M.I.A. was based /mu/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3
File: 61DZVPE1E3L.jpg (82 KB, 500x499) Image search: [Google]
61DZVPE1E3L.jpg
82 KB, 500x499
why didn't you tell me M.I.A. was based /mu/?
>>
>>65225140
We've been saying that for years though
>>
>>65225140
reminder that death grips bears a direct influence from MIA

do with that what you will
>>
>>65225360

how exactly? I'm a huge fan of both and I don't hear any MIA in Death grips desu
>>
>>65225698
I don't think MIA knows of Death Grips or vice versa, beyond a passing familiarity. But I suppose MAYA bears some resemblance to some of DG's work in its post internet paranoia and abrasive popiness. In that respect they're both artist who have tackled the same subject matter, to some similar results artistically. But no influence unfortunately. Cos I'd fucking love some sort of a collab and I think it could work well too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=WmLWs-HvCac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4CpypI7SOo

they even have similar a e s t h e t i c s.
>>
>next album will be the last
;_;
>>
>>65225360
reminder that /mu/ doesn't understand the word "influence"
>>
>>65226402
wut
>>
>>65225140
too bluepilled
>>
>>65228078
If bluepill is meant to be the opposite of redpill, then bluepill is about uniting together, erasing divisions (recognizing similarities are more important than differences) and overcoming the various sources of corruption that exist in the world (including but not limited to: bigotry, institutionalized greed, exploitation of the working class, the military-industrial complex and so much more)

redpill is nothing more than a group of deluded morons who've bought in to wedge politics based on race/gender/etc and happily attack people they've been told are different, rather than the real enemy.

You're stupid btw
>>
>>65225698
Listen to Maya and come back :^)
>>
>>65228111
>who've bought in to wedge politics based on race/gender/etc and happily attack people they've been told are different, rather than the real enemy.

This would also apply to SJWs who can't divorce themselves from petty identity politics. All it does it divide people. They're just doing it from the other end of the spectrum. M.I.A. herself was talking about this other day, SJWs and how they're pro segregation. They're always criticising her and her work. Amazing how one person can annoy both /pol/ and tumblr.
>>
>>65227323
so enlighten us genius
>>
>>65227910
https://twitter.com/MIAuniverse/status/735147322477314048
>>
>>65228138

I've listened to all of her albums several times.
>>
>>65226052
Does MIA even do her artwork and videos tho
>>
>>65226052
I hadn't thought about that collab. That could be GOAT.

MIA is amazing live, seen her twice, the first time is a top3 for me.
>>
>>65230701
Yes. She does both the videos and artwork.
>>
>>65228773
Well Repubs started with identity politics so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>SJWs and how they're pro segregation They're always criticising her and her work.
[citation needed]

Not seeing the uniqueness of other's experiences and the difficulties people face is willful ignorance
>>
>>65230701
M.I.A., on pure raw talent, is a better visual artist and director than musician. She studied at Central Saint Martins. so yeah she has a very auterial presence when it comes to anything visual
>>
>>65231267
>[citation needed]
There's a big idea that's circulating around their circles right now, it's that racism= power + prejudice.

By their logic, PoC aren't powerful, so they aren't racist, just prejudiced, which means that regular hate speech laws shouldn't apply to them, hence the belief that each race should be governed by different laws, thus segregation
>>
>>65231346
> it's that racism= power + prejudice.

Yeah, racism is power and prejudice

>By their logic, PoC aren't powerful, so they aren't racist, just prejudiced, which means that regular hate speech laws shouldn't apply to them, hence the belief that each race should be governed by different laws, thus segregation

Holy autism
People of color won't always have power in a country that hates brown people
People of color can be racist to each other and prejudiced
>which means that regular hate speech laws shouldn't apply to them
Holy autismo
They still do regardless
>hence the belief that each race should be governed by different laws
[Credible citation needed]
>thus segregation
Lol
>>
>>65231267
>“Due to all these social justice warriors, I’ve been reduced to a POC,” says M.I.A., actually pronouncing it “pock” as opposed to spelling out the acronym for people of colour. “A POC is the only person who can speak for a POC. But a POC cannot talk about or appropriate any other cultures. We cannot be connected through a common human experience any longer.”

https://soundcloud.com/now-toronto/maya-on-pop-culture-reducing-the-idea-of-a-global-citizen?in=now-toronto/sets/maya-arulpragasam-mia

Pic related is the typical complaint. And please don't tell me you care about the Democrat/Republican divide. American democracy is a sham and all its candidates are awful.
>>
>>65231521
>Yeah, racism is power and prejudice
Stopped reading right there
>>
File: Untitled.png (67 KB, 270x407) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
67 KB, 270x407
>>65231533
you also had people saying she was appropriating refugees for Borders. you have white americans telling an actual refugee that their refugee experience isn't valid because idk, retardation
>>
>>65231558
Then go ahead and don't read it then
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>65231533
I really don't give a shit about the Democratic /Republican divide.
I hope the parties rip each other to shreds and no one's left standing
Or each party destroys itself through the idiocy
>>
>>65231521
>racism is power and prejudice
top kek
>>
>>65230761
Never seen her live. Heard all sorts of varying reports though, from awful to amazing. Stage design always looks great though.
>>
>>65231726
>top kek
Upvoted : )
>>
>>65225140
Jimmy is the best pop song of the 00's
try to name a better one
>protip: you cant
>>
>>65232532
Paper Planes
>>
>>65232532
Hey Ya
>>
>>65230314
You're literally retarded if you hear no similarities my friend
>>
YEAH WHAT CAN I GET FOR TEN DOLLARRR?
>>
>>65235491
>song about child prostitution
>still a banger you can dance to
>>
>>65226052
>Cos I'd fucking love some sort of a collab and I think it could work well too.

you might enjoy this: https://soundcloud.com/doomguy13/mia-x-death-grips-3-bedrooms-in-a-border-town
>>
>>65225140
Dude wake the fuck up.
>>
M.I.A. is one of Death Grips only WELL KNOWN predecessors.
>>
>>65231316
honestly she's fucking great at everything she does

it's no understatement to say she's one of the most talented artists of the 21st century thus far

it's refreshing too that she doesn't go after the cisnormative whiteboogeyman all that much either
>>
>>65231581
yeah she obviously needs to pay reparations to poc (aka blacks, arabs don't count) for this one. we all know lil kim was doing this waaaay before MIA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EBnYGyY8NY

fucking sick of cultural appropriation desu
>>
>>65237017
Agree completely. I'm a huge fan and might be a bit delusional so I don't say it often but I really rate her that highly, she's an amazing creative mind in every aspect, from music to directing to fashion.

I think the fact that she's been through an actual war and has been round the world and seen everything has influenced her politics hugely. When you've had bullets flying over your head, you could never, ever give a shit about tumblr politics. desu I always love reading her interviews. People make her out to be a retard and her politics are more visceral than anything (still 100% valid) but she's a very perceptive observer of culture and society. She's just a bit like Kanye and struggles to articulate herself fully sometimes
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.