[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Structure
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: WfNFpkMU.jpg (24 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
WfNFpkMU.jpg
24 KB, 400x400
I've been playing around with FL studio on and off for a few years and I'm wondering if some of you have run into and overcome the problems I have at the moment. I can make some nice 4-8 bar sounds but for the life of me I can't extend it into a full track. Sometimes I wake up with a full track playing in my head but by the time I (and if I manage to) wrangle the daw into reproducing an idea of it I can't fit it into anything else.

Also, whenever I make something rather nice I'm always worried I've subconsciously copied something I've heard in the past. I've searched a lot for answers to these problems and the common wisdom for this last one appears to be, "you'll make it your own/your own take," but that isn't very comforting. Do many musicians have this worry and accept this answer, or simply ask friends about it and then call it a day?
>>
>>65221888
Re: first problem.

It's definitely not a technical issue, I know this daw in and out.

I'm open to the possibility that I am retarded in some ways as I huffed and smoked a lot of strange shit in my younger years.

This thread is just a hail mary after wondering about it for ages.

Thanks.
>>
>>65221888
What a coincidence, I was just thinking about this.

What I do is, take a song you like, paste it onto a new track in your DAW and just copy the structure of that song. For example, if there's a percussion loop in the beginning, do that, if the kick disappears around 2 minutes, do that. And so on.
>>
>>65221972
I had your problem a while back.

Just keep saving your half finished songs (as exports, this is critical) and any loops you make export them to samples and save too.

Eventually you'll have a library of half tracks and beats/riffs etc.

One day, fire up a multitrack mixing program, and try smashing some ofthese bits and loops together. Might have to pitchshift a little to get them all in key sometimes, but seriously, you would be surprised at what comes out.

I regularly find 2 minute clips of stuff from years ago I had completely forgotten existed on some corner of my hard drive and use them in new things.

Oh and best advice...learn anything but fruityloops.
>>
>>65222051
>learn anything but fruityloops.
Not OP, but i wanted to get into DAWs for some time and thought FL would be the best starting point. Any other easy-to-learn program you would recommend?
>>
>>65222069
Reason.
>>
>>65222051
Nothing wrong with FL a bunch of well known artists use it.
>>
>>65222083
This. You won't need to buy anything else.
>>
>>65222094
You can smell when someone has used fruityloops.

I know when you get good enough your DAW doesn't matter, but all the ultra shit trap stuff I hear all sounds like a fruityloops demo.
>>
>>65222121
If the world's best software in any field were free and let 13 year olds publish mass amounts of crap with easily recognizable example content it'll quickly get the same reputation.
>>
>>65222186
Friutyloops is free now?

Also

>implying every other DAW isn't pirated
>>
File: average_fruityloops_user.jpg (38 KB, 702x468) Image search: [Google]
average_fruityloops_user.jpg
38 KB, 702x468
>>
I don't run into this problem because I sing and play a real instrument.
>>
>>65222483
>Not mixing electronica with real instruments

I've been working on some triphop crossed with black metal and it sounds sick as fuck dude.
>>
>>65222520
Never had trouble moving a crowd with guitar, bass and drums.
>>
>>65222547
Eh that's true. I've been in plenty of bands like that and playing all live on stage is up there with having sex.

But don't completely discount electronic stuff. It has some good uses. Obviously if you're a rock band stick to what sounds good.

The triphop/black metal tune is for a film soundtrack. I wouldn't have made it otherwise but the scene just feels like it needs it (scifi/horror film).
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.