[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why aren't there more true female musicians? Like, ones
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 9
File: 2dub.jpg (153 KB, 793x1024) Image search: [Google]
2dub.jpg
153 KB, 793x1024
Why aren't there more true female musicians?

Like, ones that write their own music 100%, are virtuosos that play multiple instruments and do everything themselves.

Why are there no female Ariel Pink, Mac Demarco, R. Stevie Moore type characters?
>>
>>65218525
Because women don't have to strive to get fucked.

All those men musicians get mad pussy. Women just have to exist.

t. musician
>>
Not sure about virtuosos but there are plenty of female musicians that write their own music and play a part in the recording process.

Why bother doing everything yourself though? I suppose it might make it easier to put what's in your mind into something recordable but session musicians have their jobs because they're good at doing that when working with an artist. And while plenty of people have done what you're talking about, being a jack of all trades will generally just mean the session musicians that focus on one thing will be that much better at what you're trying to do.
>>
>>65218525
Your statement is misogynistic and you should be ashamed of yourself.
>>
>>65218525
>mac fucking demarco
>having the slightest bit of talent or artistic merit
TOP KEK
>>
>>65218593
Facts can't be misogynistic you fucking legbeard.
>>
>>65218602
This tb perfectly h
>>
>Why are there no female Ariel Pink, Mac Demarco, R. Stevie Moore type characters?

There are plenty of female talentless hacks lmao
>>
do you really not know why OP?

you don't just grasp intuitively why this is?
>>
Pj harvey
Teri gender bender
Mary halvard
Yuka honda
I could go on
>>
>virtuosos
>Ariel Pink, Mac Demarco, R. Stevie Moore

High octane trolling
>>
>>65218525
Because most of girls dream to be signers not instrument players famaladindong.
>>
>>65218606
>Facts can't be misogynistic

First of, what are facts?

Secondly yes they can as they convey a message.
>>
>>65218812
Those artists are all singers as well. I'm just curious why it seems like next to no women do everything themselves. Those musicians all basically play everything and record on their own. Women might be musicians but they usually don't do ALL of it. I honestly can't think of any female musicians that do it all on their own. There has to be some, but it's rare.
>>
>>65218525
that guys cute
>>
>>65218525
Women are somewhat less likely to have an ego colossal enough to disregard all sensibilities in order to pursue rock and roll fame.
>>
File: 1362947979373.gif (1022 KB, 277x193) Image search: [Google]
1362947979373.gif
1022 KB, 277x193
>>65218525
Women generally have a harder time discriminating sounds when many of them are going on at once, which makes it harder to listen to, let alone write, music with a lot of different parts going on

>>65218593
Get fucked
>>
>>65218841
I mean signers like Beyonce and stuff like that perhaps the better word is performers, they want to be that and not artist. I'm not saying mac de memeco and the other faggots are artist either.

Bjork being the exception.
>>
>>65218856
sensibilities? what do you mean by this word
>>
>>65218841
I think it's pretty rare for male musicians to do everything themselves too. Even if you can name a few more guys that do it, most people are smart enough to use professionals to help them get their idea recorded.
>>
>>65218830
why do you assume the brain to be unlike the body? male and female figures differ yes?
>>
>>65218881
DJs do everything by themselves though.
>>
>>65218578
Great comment that deserves more attention
>>
>>65218896
the brain is a social construct

UGH
>>
>>65218905
not really it contributes relatively little to the comversation at hand. a tangent more or less
>>
>>65218917
the brain is a social construct? do you stand behind that statement as "fact"?
>>
>>65218917
:^D
>>
>>65218940
I got a degree on social construcionism, so yeah.
>>
>true musicians
You're not a true musician unless you print the CDs and records yourself, distribute them, and handle all the logistics of touring.
>>
>>65218525
Um, ever hear of Patriarchy????
>>
>>65218968
why would the brain differ from the body in evolving "identically" between the sexes? in other words, the brain being a physical organ would display differences just as other differences in physical form no?
>>
>>65218868
Oh yeah, Bjork. She's bretty based. Does she really do it all on her own though?

Joanna Newsome comes to mind too but idk how much she does herself and it's pretty basic usually just piano + singing or harp/singing

>>65218881
Take a guy like Ariel Pink. He basically does everything himself or at least he did in the early days. There are literally no female versions of him. I would be so interested in listening to the female Ariel Pink.

I think it's because men are more logical/analytical and music is almost mathematic at the point where you play 5+ instruments and then record, mix and sing on top of it AND make it sound like butter. Maybe women just don't have the drive for it. I mean there's good female bands, not really any female versions of Prince or something like that though.
>>
>>65219059
are you the OP?
>>
>>65219085
Indeed.
>>
>>65219094
ok, so you have a mom right? does she like flowers/gardening that type of thing?
>>
>>65218525
>Bjork
>Kate Bush
>Fiona Apple
>Joanna Newsom
>Grimes
>Beth Gibbons
>PJ Harvey
>St. Vincent
Is this board legitimately retarded?
>>
>>65219059
There probably isn't a female Arial Pink but I think it's pretty ignorant to think there aren't women that do everything themselves.

It's also stupid to think you're not a "true" musician unless you refuse to have anyone else touch your music in any way.

Here's something I heard at some point and apparently she's in the same "scene" as Arial Pink, or at least that's what the radio station DJ playing it said.

https://soundcloud.com/charlieandbird

Pretty sure she does all this herself.

I'm just still not understanding why you care if people do everything themselves and why that isn't a disadvantage.

>>65219123
Don't think any of those do everything themselves. OP wants artists that don't let anyone else have anything to do with the music they make because that's apparently something good for some reason.
>>
>>65218525
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hildegard_of_Bingen

She's smarter than any of the "virtuosos" you mentioned.
>>
>>65218841
Most of what Speedy Ortiz and Hop Along were doing at the start of their careers (as well as now) was done entirely by the front women in those bands.

There are plenty of women doing this, OP. You may have to look a little harder, and this could be for a lot of reasons I wont really spent alot of time on, whether it be societal expectations, gender genuinely affecting interests, etc. but there are definitely women doing this and they are doing it well and getting recognition for it too. You just need to look around, these bands are talked about fairly often too.
>>
>>65218602
Mac is a genius prince fuck off please
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 413x395
>>65219161
>digging back this hard
>>
>>65219133
>implying st. vincent and pj harvey don't write their own material
jesus christ
>>
>>65219691
I didn't say that. But they don't do everything themselves. For instance they don't play every single instrument featured on their albums and at least St. Vincent doesn't produce her albums, at least entirely. That's what OP is after, don't ask me why.
>>
>>65219101
>does she like flowers/gardening that type of thing?

I guess
>>
>>65219734
Yeah, I caught that, I'm sorry.

I feel like that's asking for a lot though, I mean doing all that shit's tough...
>>
>>65219123
All of these people write their own material

Look at the liner notes for Pom Pom, Ariel Pink had just as much help as some of those female artists, and more help than some them too
>>
>>65219758
Ariel Pink's early records IIRC are totally him playing, writing, recording everything by himself.

I am aware his more recent material is not done entirely by him.
>>
>>65218525
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pom_pom_(album)

SEVEN composers on Pom Pom, THREE additional writers, 15 additional musicians musicians, but sure Ariel Pink is a virtuoso who does everything himself
>>
>>65219788
see >>65219776

Even if it's not entirely him, it's pretty impressive what he does on his own
>>
>>65219776
his early work kinda sucks

Grimes made her album entirely herself besides the Aristophanes and Janelle Monae vocals and it's amazing.
>>
>>65219796
I'm not saying it's not impressive but to say what Ariel Pink is accomplishing is better than ANY woman working in the industry like the OP said is ridiculous.
>>
>>65219339
how about you fuck off as well.
>>
you guys are literally making "self done" vs "assistance" the meme of the thread. its irrelevant
>>
>>65219805
Regardless Lover Boy and House Arrest are 100% him besides maybe one track of each

>>65219826
OP just said that there really isn't a female ariel, and i don't know if there could be
>>
File: little earthquakes.jpg (18 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
little earthquakes.jpg
18 KB, 480x480
>>65219123
Why does Tori seem to be forgotten these days. She wrote all her own songs, Play brilliantly on anything with a keyboard and has a gorgeous voice.
>>
File: uhhuhher.jpg (226 KB, 797x615) Image search: [Google]
uhhuhher.jpg
226 KB, 797x615
>>65219734
not him but nobody makes an album all by themselves. not a great one anyway. it's physically impossible. proof in point, the time polly jean tried to make an album all by herself. (pic related) it's not awful but it's not her best effort and could've benefited from some extra hands.

she did the whole thing herself except for the drums/percussion. wrote it. recorded it. performed it. played it. did the album art. engineered it, if you could call what resulted engineered. it was basically an album of demos.

it's no secret that the best albums are made in band dynamics. the greatest musical minds of popular music from duke ellington to bob dylan to lennon/mccartney to stevie wonder to ray charles did their best stuff in concert with others.

/mu/ has this strange obsession with soloists and geniuses. way too much emphasis and very little left for working musicians who record and tour regularly. /mu/ also has a thing about consuming music in album form but that's another story.
>>
>>65219874
When you say female Ariel Pink do you just mean someone that does everything themselves (which we've already shown doesn't apply to Ariel anymore) or something else?
>>
>>65219947
Just his general thing it doesn't seem like something any women do i don't know

Maybe they just don't like making his particular type of music but i guess it can't really be replicated even by other males really
>>
>>65219969
So you want someone exactly like him. That would be impossible for any artist really. Music made by different people is going to be different, even if it's in the same genre/style.
>>
>>65219885
This. Very popular outside of /mu/, yet underrated here.
>>
File: tori6toriamossings.l.jpg (117 KB, 700x699) Image search: [Google]
tori6toriamossings.l.jpg
117 KB, 700x699
>>65219885
tori is one of those rare talents who can take to the stage all by herself and be fine, just her and her piano. not alot of artists, male or female, who can captivate an audience all by themselves. wish she'd take that approach into the studio more often. she's made enough ornately produced albums. she needs to simplify her sound.
>>
>>65218557
This
First post best post
>>
>>65218525
The fact is OP because you're not paying attention as much as you think you are, and you automatically assume that just cuz a man puts his name on an album means he did everything himself, you don't give women that luxury. Of course, men and women both have help with their albums and there are male virtuosos but there are also female virtuosos, some listed in this thread are examples.

Here is a list of some female musicians who write their own music and most of them produce it (some with no help and some with, but each are the visionaries of their projects just as much as Ariel Pink is): Jlin, Jessy Lanza, Nidia Minaj, Paula Temple, Lady Lamb, Anna Meredith, Grouper, Julianna Barwick, Negativ Gemini, Soap&Skin, Elysia Crampton, Lafawndah, EMA, Laurel Halo
>>
>>65218856
That's strange because most women are incredibly narcissistic.
>>
>>65218854
this
>>
>>65219984
I wonder why there's no women in his genre. I mean the only artists that are like ariel are maybe mac, jon maus, and r stevie

Does geneva jacuzzi count? I'm not sure if she writes her own shit and she is ariel's (ex?) girlfriend
>>
>>65218854
>>65220097
Are you girls
>>
>>65220109
Hypnagogic pop is a pretty broad genre anyway that I'm not even sure how its boundaries are determined. The woman I posted here >>65219133 is considered hypnagogic pop. Kedr Livanskiy is too apparently but I don't think she sounds much like Pink.
>>
>>65220129
n-no
are you this guy?
>>
>>65218525
so being a true musician = doing everything on your own?

composition is what's important. production and how many instruments one can play are irrelevant.
>>
If we are so interested in praising the artists who do it all, why not Kevin Parker (Tame Impala) his music is far more dense and large than mac demarco or ariel pink, and involves him playing more instruments. On top of that, he must produce what could be dozens of tracks, minding all the reverb, delay, phasers, and other effects. There is no female match.
>>
>>65220233
if you could wear this post on your head it would be a hat
>>
what's funny is that not one male musician named itt is a match to joanna newsom
>>
>>65220233
Also James Murphy
>>
File: R-95675-1274571825.jpeg[1].jpg (209 KB, 600x592) Image search: [Google]
R-95675-1274571825.jpeg[1].jpg
209 KB, 600x592
Wish Solex released stuff more often so /mu/ would talk about her. She occasionally samples original improvisations by friends (and her latest album is all that) but she does the majority of the work. She even manually triggers all the samples when playing live (though she doesn't play live often anymore) rather than doing sequencing.
>>
>>65220156
nah he's some dude from a runescape private server
>>
>>65220269
>couldn't even arrange an orchestra herself and had to get Van Dyke Parks
What a talentless hack.
>>
>>65220429
too bad Van Dyke Parks' cheesy medieval tinged string arrangements are the least interesting part about Ys hahahaha
>>
What about Jonny Greenwood?
>>
>>65220481
What about him?
>>
>>65220579
I think anon was trying to make a very funny joke about how Jonny is a grill xDDD
>>
>>65218525
There's Lisa Germano, but she probably thinks of guys like you like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohldk_DzcLk

:>)
>>
>>65220202
omg fucking finally someone understands
>>
>>65218525
Remember:
Women are a meme.
>>
>>65218525
Because they're obviously not as smart nor as capable

there are no female musicians or songwriters that come close to the likes of Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Kurt Cobain, Noel Gallagher etc
>>
>>65218525
who's this guy
>>
>>65220070
>Jlin, Jessy Lanza, Nidia Minaj, Paula Temple, Lady Lamb, Anna Meredith, Grouper, Julianna Barwick, Negativ Gemini, Soap&Skin, Elysia Crampton, Lafawndah, EMA, Laurel Halo

I got so excited to check out these artists, but turns out they are all boring electronic/alt pop/alt R&B acts
>>
>>65220758
You should have added those genres to the OP as things that don't count if you're a "true musician".
>>
>>65218525
Is it sexist if I don't think i legitimately enjoy any female singers? There are some songs with females that are ok, but they would be better with a male singer. Female singers just get on my nerves for some reason.
>>
>>65220677
ur mom #rekt
>>
>>65220624
she probably wants to fuck horses

all girls are into beastiality
>>
>>65220771
Not even the OP. My favorite musicians are mostly females (Joni Mitchell, Bjork, Kate Bush, Judee Sill, Joanna Newsom, etc.), but I find this new alt-R&B trend that FKA Twigs seems to have started incredibly boring.
I just wish there were more women doing music that I appreciate.
>>
File: 1454199675618.jpg (12 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
1454199675618.jpg
12 KB, 384x384
>>65220777
>>
>>65220624
>>
does that mean she wants to fuck me i don't get it
>>
She shreds with the best of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7b-_YcACuQ
>>
>>65220817
Bjork and Kate Bush could be described as alt-pop (though both started out as mainstream pop). In any case, Lady Lamb isn't R&B to any degree so if you skipped her because of the others you should go and try her.

Anna Meredith also isn't R&B at all. Her music is electronic, like synthpop, but I don't know why you think that's bad. She's also a classically trained musician that decided to make synthpop for some reason.

Grouper's like ambient so I could understand why you wouldn't like her. Jessy Lanza sounds kind of like Grimes to me for some reason so I could see that too. Haven't listened to the others.
>>
>>65220838
>>65220811
You didn't get the joke, so:

https://youtu.be/UMa3NkH2tB4
>>
>>65220880
>Lisa Germano
just tell me dude
>>
>>65220880
>>65220974

dude i would totally love her fuck you

my ex gf fucking ruined my life im a nice guy mgtow
>>
>>65220871
Well, when I think of Bjork and Kate Bush, I think of art pop.
Alt-pop to me is more like a poppier version of alternative rock.

Anyway, I did listen to Lady Lamb. Not a fan but she's not bad.
Didn't like Anna Meredith's stuff. I'll check out Jessy Lanza again.
>>
>>65220880
what does the dresses song mean dude
>>
>>65220880
>>65220998
>>65220974
>>65221074
fucking tell me
>>
>>65218557
>R. Stevie Moore
>mad pussy

wat
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.