[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I write better lyrics?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
Everytime I try to write about my depression and insecurities, it comes off as whiny and pretentious. Pic unrelated.
>>
>>65215028
>The dishes ain't even clean though
Spittin' hot fiya right there, good on ya m8
>>
>>65215028
that's really bad

start over and try again
>>
>>65215028
>Everytime I try to write about my depression and insecurities
>it comes off as whiny and pretentious

I wonder why !
>>
>>65215071
what do you mean
>>
>>65215165
i think he means "suck it up faggot"
>>
>>65215028
Don't write with a conscious goal in mind, just write words that you think of within a certain rhythm. Build from there. Observe Captain Beefheart for an example.
>>
>>65215416
>Don't write with a conscious goal in mind, just write words that you think of within a certain rhythm.
But I don't want to write random fictional stories, I want my music to be personal.
And are you saying that I should wait around for inspiration?
>>
>>65215481
>are you saying that I should wait around for inspiration?
Not at all. Familiarize yourself with poetry, both classic and contemporary. Read Shakespeare, Milton, and Young and move your way forward. Poetry is about expressing yourself indirectly, so don't try to be too concrete as if you're writing prose. It's more about clever language and theme than actual narrative. Two great lyricists I'd recommend who are currently active are Edward Ka-Spel and David Tibet.
>>
>>65215028
Just write. Read a bunch too. Find lyricists who write lyrics similar to what you want to write and read their lyrics. Read poetry. Just write what comes to you when it comes to you, it will improve over time. Save lyrics you like, discard or improve ones you don't like. Don't "try" to say anything or write about anything, just let it come out on its own.

Also, most of the time lyrics will just look bad on paper. Setting them to music invariably improves them.
>>
>>65215580
>Poetry is about expressing yourself indirectly, so don't try to be too concrete as if you're writing prose. It's more about clever language and theme than actual narrative.
oh shit. thank you.

>>65215694
>Find lyricists who write lyrics similar to what you want to write and read their lyrics
I've looked, but there's not many people like the artist I wanna be like out there.
>Don't "try" to say anything or write about anything, just let it come out on its own
... so you're saying I should wait for inspiration.
>>
>>65215028

What did he mean by this?
>>
lmao
>>
>The dishes ain't even clean enough though

damn...
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.