[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
We discuss the meaning of John Cage's 4:33. https://m
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (61 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61 KB, 960x540
We discuss the meaning of John Cage's 4:33.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JTEFKFiXSx4
>>
wasn't the proposed meaning that the ambience and chance sounds of the space became the piece? an awareness sort of thing?

cage himself loved traffic sounds, he was trying to tune the audience into the musical qualities of their environment?
>>
>>65214930
That's pretty much it. Next. It's not like it's hard to find meaning in this.
>>
>>65214930
To my understanding, he believed that music represented a chaotic universe. By creating a piece of silence, he could represent his perceived ordered universe; a view he adopted from Zen Buddhism.
>>
>>65214906
>We do OP's homework for him
>>
>>65214988
It's the fucking summer.

I feel that John cage can provoke a lot of disparaging opinions.
>>
>>65214971
isn't music ordered by nature? as in, a chaotic piece of music would not sound "tuneful" or in tune, that's why there's keys and such

I guess I'm wondering what the relation is between the so-called "chaotic universe" and music as a whole
>>
The listener is the composer.
Any sound can be music.
It's not the composer that makes a sound music, it's the intention of the listener to decide "what I'm listening to from point A to point B is music", which can include any sound created by anything or anyone at any time.
>>
>>65215091
but again, it would be the opinion of the overwhelming majority to listen to "ordered" sounds written to be pleasing by their composer rather than any sound.

in the same way that you wouldn't read a book of random letters........
>>
>>65215076
"Wherever we are, what we hear is mostly noise. When we ignore it, it disturbs us. When we listen to it, we find it fascinating."
>>
File: costanza.jpg (17 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
costanza.jpg
17 KB, 250x250
>2016
>not listening to Reich's "Violin Phase" high

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBY0-VLCEE0
>>
>>65215122
Sure, but that doesn't stop "unordered" sounds from possibly being music.
Hearing pop music in a department store can just become 'noise' to someone who doesn't want to listen to it.
"It's just a bunch of random sounds" is a line commonly posted in the "thing's plebs say" threads, they're not wrong or right necessarily, it's the listener that ultimately decides and places order onto it.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.