[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What time signatures are the songs on this in? I'm trying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: Slint_-_Spiderland.jpg (66 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Slint_-_Spiderland.jpg
66 KB, 300x300
What time signatures are the songs on this in? I'm trying to get better at picking that out. I think Good Morning Captain is 9/8 time?

Also any tips for getting better at recognizing the time signature when I hear it?
>>
It's called math rock because the time signatures require advanced mathematics to figure out. Wish I could help!
>>
haven't listened in a few weeks and never counted it out, but I'm like fairly sure that every song on this album has time signatures that change regularly
>>
I was only able to figure out Good Morning Captain because rhythm guitar would change chords every measure, and I counted up the number of beats. How do I do it when that isn't an option?
>>
>>65193244
good morning captain is just in 4/4
nosferatu man intro is in 5/4 though
creeping up into the sky on breadcrumb trail goes into 6/4
etc
>>
Pretty sure Good Morning Captain's mostly in 4/4 though.
>>
>>65193380
>>65193383
Maybe I just suck at counting
>>
Learn harmonics
>>
I don't understand time signatures because I'm not a musician.
>>
>>65193401
listen to the snare drum on good morning captain, that usually helps out a lot with time signatures
it's like
one TWO three FOUR one TWO three FOUR
then the rest loops back around
>>
File: RogerWaters.jpg (504 KB, 2048x1360) Image search: [Google]
RogerWaters.jpg
504 KB, 2048x1360
>>65193269
kek
>>
>>65193244
The best way to improve at recognizing time signatures is to practice with what you already know. For example, 4/4 and 6/8 or 12/8 are easy to pick out in most songs. For others:
Listen to classical waltzes to improve at picking out 3/4 time
Listen to "Mars" by Holst to pick out 5/4 time
Listen to Money by Pink Floyd, the song that everyone uses to pretend they're experienced in music theory, or the break in La Villa Strangiato by Rush to pick out 7/4 time
Other than that, check out musical transcriptions of complex songs and follow along while you listen. Count in your head and pay attention to where the downbeat falls.
>>
>>65193500
What do I do on the songs that have less drumming on them?
>>
>>65193551
just try to work out where the riff starts and where it ends
visualizing where a snare would hit can help i guess
i don't know the technical terms since i've never studied any music theory, so go with what >>65193515 said
there's also 4/4 vs 8/8 which can really similar, if not the same, a lot of the time
i think an example of something that should actually be counted in 8/8 is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVUQxdn-MoQ
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.