[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need help to set up my new gear
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6
File: 4chanhelp.png (11 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
4chanhelp.png
11 KB, 600x600
hi. I am about to order my very first monitors, KRK Rokit 5 G3(Pair) and my first audio interface Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I need to understand a number of things so sorry if this gets too long. I did my research online but all forums had too many terms I didn't understand.

I realized I will have to buy cables for my monitors too and I am confused between what I need - RCA and XLR? Is there anything more I need to know about cables?

Also I am currently using a piano that works as a midi and for now I connect it with a simple USB directly to my laptop. I want to know how can I connect my piano to my audio interface.

I will post all pictures below. I just need to know which cables I need and which cable goes into which hole. I am terrible at this, this is the first time I am getting real equipment.
All this is for my small home studio where I produce electronic music.
>>
File: rp5.png (377 KB, 623x468) Image search: [Google]
rp5.png
377 KB, 623x468
MONITORS

These are the monitors I am about to order.
>>
File: focusrite-scarlett-2i2_1.jpg (40 KB, 500x287) Image search: [Google]
focusrite-scarlett-2i2_1.jpg
40 KB, 500x287
AUDIO INTERFACE

This is the audio interface. Which cables will I need to connect the monitors into this thing and into which slots?
>>
File: piano1.jpg (62 KB, 1024x527) Image search: [Google]
piano1.jpg
62 KB, 1024x527
MY MIDI THING

These are all the holes it has in his back. I want to know if it can be plugged in to the audio interface. If yes, which hole goes where and what cable will I need?
>>
File: piano2.jpg (492 KB, 2080x1560) Image search: [Google]
piano2.jpg
492 KB, 2080x1560
>>65186524
one more slot
>>
I have no idea about what is balanced and unbalanced either. I kept bumping into these terms.
>>
TRS and XLR are balanced cables, and your ideal solution for plugging your speakers into your interface. So to start out you need a 5' or 6' or whatever foot (balanced cables buy you long cable runs without losing signal)

TRS (Male) -----> XLR (FEMALE) cable

Fuck RCA.
>>
>>65186524
Fucking clean your shit
>>
File: 47611.jpg (103 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
47611.jpg
103 KB, 1200x900
>>65187341
Whoops i meant TRS (Male) to ---> XLR (Male)

like this one at monoprice
>>
If you are trying to use your midi keyboard / device with your interface, you will have two options. One involves the question: Does your keyboard have Midi In and Out plugs on the back? If the answer is no, then you will connect it to your PC using USB if it has that.

Since the scarlett doesnt have MIDI in and Out plugs on the back like some interfaces, this is a moot point anyway.

But so long as your computer identifies the USB midi device and the DAW can see it, it will work fine.

The next question is, do you want actual AUDIO out of your midi device (im assuming no, if its some radio shack bullshit keyboard that you want to use as a simple controller). If YES, then the keyboard / device needs to have a Line Out 1/4" Audio out, and you will use a 1/4" TRS to TRS cable to one of those inputs on the scarlett.
>>
So just to recap:

You need two TRS 1/4" to XLR cables for hooking up each monitor to the interface.

You May not need to do anything at all other than have the MIDI device hooked up via USB for your DAW to use it. If it doesn't have MIDI IN and MIDI OUT plugs on the back, and your interface doesn't either, then this is your only option.

And if you want to use the audio out from the MIDI DEVICE (assuming it does have audio output capability, and your pic does indicate so), then you will need one more TRS 1/4" to TRS 1/4" plug to run into the input of the focusrite.

TRS can carry an unbalanced Stereo Signal, or a balanced Mono signal.

In this case, the TRS to TRS you use for the keyboard will not be balanced, if its carrying stereo from the keyboard out of that one output on the back.

Your monitors however, will receive balanced, mono signals from each of the Line outputs on the scarlett. This is ideal. Forget about RCA.
>>
>>65187369
>>65187449
>>65187589
thank you so much! this helps a lottttt
>>
>>65188571
You are going to be startled at how different things sound on your monitors. It will take some time to adjust to not hearing booming bass. In the end, it will be a good thing.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.