[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/advanced/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7
Note: This thread was incorrectly started by an embryo, Montie, who has not been listening to music very long and does not even listen to jazz or classical, by his own admission. Because of real /advanced/ members' principled opposition to making Montie feel validated, this thread has separated and will be the proper home of anyone who wants what is best for the board and the continued legitimacy of this general.

A general for those who want to discuss music that isn't posted often

This thread is not meant to be elitist, it's just some of us aren't always able to talk about our favourite albums, especially when they are ignored in favor of more popular releases (i.e. /mu/-core, p4k BNM, and the same old). This means no general essentials or latest hype albums allowed. Do no troll or derail the thread with non-musical or off-topic discussion.

What music have you been enjoying lately?
>>
The other /advanced/ thread was started as bait by a non-regular of the general who used the old OP format as provocation to get shitposters to populate the thread, which has happened extensively, as evidenced by the presence of bands like Ween and REM in the original thread, both of them /mu/core artists.
>>
>>65171236
>siding with a trip fa
>siding with montie
>ever
Im cozy here senpai
>>
smells to me like montie made both threads.........................................
>>
>>65171137
>File: Ai Weiwei - 'Study of Per(...).jpg (79 KB, 600x450)
>79 KB
>/advanced/ Anonymous 05/25/16(Wed)23:32:04 No.65171137 [Reply]▶>>65171236

GOD DAMNIT OP DELETE THIS SHIT.
>>
File: 5813887.jpg (242 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
5813887.jpg
242 KB, 700x700
i've been revisiting James Ferraro's work this week in anticipation of his new album next month. i think this album was unfairly ignored or dismissed after one or two listens by most people when it came out later last year. Skid Row seems to be the first, along with War, of yet another new direction for Ferraro, but this direction has a lot of indebtedness to his earlier work, too. it's clear to see the connection between Skid Row and Wild World or Last American Hero thematically, but Skid Row also sounds like a tighter and more conceptually coherent approach. what do the folks in /advanced/ think of Ferraro, Skid Row, and his upcoming project?
>>
>>65171320
>REM
>mu-core

Pick one. Also:
>everything I don't like is bait

>>65171345
I already have a thread, why would I make another?
>>
File: General_essentials_with_kanye.jpg (2 MB, 1500x3102) Image search: [Google]
General_essentials_with_kanye.jpg
2 MB, 1500x3102
>>65171389
please refer to L6, Montie. i understand you haven't finished this chart because you are a super embryo, but this is honestly embarrassing.
>>
>>65171435
Just because one album is on that old-as-fuck chart doesn't make it /mu/core.
>>
>>65171555
>literally doesn't understand what /mu/core is
>>
What's /advanced/'s favourite jazz releases?

IMO Sun Ship, Moanin', and The Shape of Jazz To Come are all perfect
>>
>>65171608
I haven't heard Sun Ship yet, but I love the others. Art Blakey's The African Beat is also really cool, and you should check it out.

my favorite jazz albums are Lloyd Miller's A Lifetime in Oriental Jazz, Melvin Van Peebles's Br'er Soul, and Sonny Clark's Cool Struttin', but those three could rotate weekly
>>
>>65171681
I love all of Coltrane's stuff, especially with his quartet, I'd check out Sun Ship ASAP

Elvin Jones' fills give me shivers, all the little touches he adds are perfectly executed every single time.

I'll check out those three too, thanks man
>>
>>65171723
yeah, i've heard lots of Coltrane from various eras but for some reason never made it around to that one. if you haven't heard it, the Coltrane set of the 1961 Village Vanguard recordings is essential stuff, as is his collab with Johnny Hartman.
>>
This is really good.

What did you think of it? Did you like it? Favorite song? Did that donkey make you laugh?
>>
>>65171608
Art Blakey is top, also a big fan of Andrew Hill and Thelonious Monk

I'm not big into swing but I enjoy Benny Goodman and Duke Ellington. I don't really know what to check out next
>>
>>65171763
never heard it, but very intrigued. do you have a link? soulseek isn't returning any results for it at the moment.
>>
>>65171763
here's a sample of what it sounded like if youre curious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzHXtG1wR-w

For fans of Cardiacs I guess
>>
>>65171778
as far as jazz in general or swing in particular?
>>
>>65171751
I do actually, haven't gotten to it yet though since it's a pretty hefty listen (4 1/2 hours) but it definitely won't be missed.

>>65171778
Assuming you've gone through the essentials, what I usually do is dig into the discographies of the individuals who played on each of my favourite albums (i.e. I love sun ship, so I'd look into albums released from Elvin Jones, McCoy Tyner, and Jimmy Garrison).
>>
>>65171781
https://mega.nz/#!e1kUzBxA!8SYKK02IabQFvMU8TvKX4sbVsRXavmW4cNR3rZLcVjc

Here you go. I guess you could call this zolo, avant-prog, or whatever bullshit term you're comfortable with
>>
>>65171806
Swing in particular

>>65171823
I've been doing that in other jazz genres but not swing, so I'll be sure to do this
>>
>>65171845
thank you!
>>
>>65171848
Ah, fair enough man. In that case, if you like Benny Goodman check out Charlie Christian.

Fun Fact: He was the first jazz guitar player to play an electric

>>65171845
>>65171802
Great share, I really dig Zappa so this is right up my alley, appreciate ya
>>
>>65171866
>>65171874
save it friends it's all yours :^)
>>
here's an idea I'd like to try out:
>try to list every bit of music you can't live without
>you must upload anything people who are curious ask you for, if it's not readily available on Youtube
that way get a lot more immediate interchange of valuable information. instead of endlessly arguing about our batch of music in some abstract sense, we lay all our cards on the table
>>
>>65171608
John Coltrane's My Favorite Things, and anything modal
>>
>>65172008
I'm in if this gets started
>>
This is some bullshit. Nothing discussed in these threads isn't discussed elsewhere. You want to talk about jazz, go to /jazz/. You want to talk about classical, go to /classical/. What's the point of this other than elitism?
>>
>>65173715
alright - list 'em, or put together a 3x3 or whatever, and I'll do the same.
>>
File: JamesBrown - Funk Power 1970.jpg (168 KB, 1086x1085) Image search: [Google]
JamesBrown - Funk Power 1970.jpg
168 KB, 1086x1085
>>65173837
>Debussy - String Quartet (as played by the '61 Juilliard Quartet)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-_U5S_3t0E
I really like their Ravel stringquartet, which isn't online
>James Brown - Funk Power 1970
sex machine, super bad, since you been gone...:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk6jbbrCEe0
>Minutemen - The Punch Line, Bean Spill EP, What Makes a Man Start Fires, Buzz or Howl Under the Influence of Heat, Double Nickels on the Dime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xYHzC_yYTk
>Cartola - (self-titled) from '74
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GlcWd51a-I
>Moving Star Hall Singers - Been in the Storm So Long
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhu03mXKp44
just to start off
>>
>>65173837
Allright, how about we list 5 essential albums and explain why they are 'essential' to us?

Hospice - The Antlers.

Meme choice, but i think they zoom in on the aspects of an unhealthy relationship so hard that they make you recognize some of it in your own relationship (or at least i did). Which is what made the lyrcis so painfull. The cancer story, which might be a metaphore for depression, the link to Sylvia Plath, the hint to abortion in 'Bear', the moment you realize the happiest song on the album is the one where she dies. Etc.

Mass V - Amenra.
For the live effect. They are a Belgian sludge metal band whose live shows involve visuals and used to envolve the singer almost mutilating himself. I've never seen another show that manage to capture despair, a shared feeling of vulnerability and mortality, depression and catharsis so well.

The things we carry - Have heart
It's nostalgia on this one. I used to be straight edge and i've heard the unbreakable over 400 times. It played a massive role in forming my identity as a teen, helped me deal with conflicts i felt then.

Ole - Pharaoh Sanders
Not technically an album, but my favourite piece of jazz ever. I've never found another jazz piece that managed to capture me so completely for 20 minutes. It's just raging on and on and on in such a relentless tempo, yet it's so nicely structured, listenable, entrancing and menacing. At a certain moment it feels like every instrument is giving a solo at once and the sounds just start spinning around my head (thanks to headphones in the dark, you know what i mean).

f#a#infinty - GY!BE
Do i even have to explain?
A special time i heard it was just after learing about Ai Wei Wei's exhibition in which he had reforged to concrete irons out of collapsed chinese buildings. Buildings that collapsed and killed dozens because the company's building them cut corners to avoid costs.

Dead flag blues sounded way more 'real' at that moment.
>>
>>65174143
good idea on saying why it's essential to us:

the Debussy piece is what made me realize that I never really loved classical music until I'd heard it before. it also made me realize that the string quartet is the main way I enjoy it, and the Juilliard String Quartet with Isidore Cohen can do no wrong for me - with every recording they opened a new door for me.

James Brown basically represents American music for me. not just that - I never knew how to dance until I figured out on my own that if you're just sitting there instead of feeling the need to get up and dance, you haven't really penetrated what he's all about yet. people sit quietly and listen to classical or jazz, but this music you need to participate with

lots of people within the Velvets-inspired alt subcultures talk about hearing the Stooges or Ramones and thinking it's the greatest thing they ever heard - I got that from Minutemen. like I'd been waiting my whole life to hear this music - like it was made just for me.

Cartola is one of my favourite Brazilian artists - if I ever want to unwind, this album is surefire.

the Moving Star Hall Singers were recorded in the mid-60s - when they were an isolated black community on Johns Island off the coast of S. Carolina. these people have never left their small community, and know how everybody else sings - these are voices that know each other. Benjamin and Ruth Bligen are among my favourite singers ever
>>
>>65174143
right now I'm listening to the Pharoah Sanders piece, and wondering why the hell I never listened past Black Unity. great playing - really a true heir of Coltrane

I think that GY!BE album is overrated beyond belief. the way I think about it is that people feel like that spoken intro speaks to their condition, and then they're hooked for the duration. but I wasn't engaged by the music until that cello/bass drama thing 9 minutes into the second track.

I haven't heard the others, but I'll give them a shot
>>
File: no.gif (1 MB, 384x288) Image search: [Google]
no.gif
1 MB, 384x288
>>65171137
>This thread is not meant to be elitist
>>
File: peter.jpg (93 KB, 960x1226) Image search: [Google]
peter.jpg
93 KB, 960x1226
What does /advanced/ think of pic related? Hammill is honestly one of my favourite artists of all time, I could listen to him for days on end.
>>
>>65171874
Eddie Durham was the first person to play jazz solos on an electric guitar in 1938. Christian first recorded a year later.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.