[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rock is dead
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 5
File: enhanced-27471-1417549714-19.jpg (51 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
enhanced-27471-1417549714-19.jpg
51 KB, 500x375
You have 10 seconds to name a rock band from the last 25 years that is both critically acclaimed and culturally relevant. Please note that commercial success is not synonymous with cultural relevance.

Impossible Mode: No Nirvana.

Oh wait, you can't.

R.I.P Rock

Please note:
>The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys, Queens of the Stone Age, The Mars Volta, Franz Ferdinand, The Smashing Pumpkins, Oasis, Bloc Party, The Libertines, Blur, Pulp, Suede, and Interpol are not culturally relevant, all of them are fad artists associated with a certain 3-5 year timespan with no real longevity or standing cultural relevancy. You're not going to hear their music being played at a high school dance or have a large number of normies sharing them on Facebook the way you would a contemporary hip hop artist like Drake or Kendrick Lamar
>Jack White is not a culturally relevant artist. Seven Nation Army may be a culturally relevant track but having only one culturally relevant track indicates a lack of longevity and thus a lack of cultural relevance as artists.
>Muse, Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Tool, Kings of Leon, The Black Keys, Pearl Jam, Green Day, My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, Blink-182, Brand New, Taking Back Sunday, Mumford & Sons, and Red Hot Chili Peppers are not critically acclaimed.
>The Flaming Lips, Sufjan Stevens, Tame Impala, The National, The Hold Steady, Dinosaur Jr, Deerhunter, Mac DeMarco, Porcupine Tree, Beach House, Ween, Titus Andronicus, Bon Iver, Pixies, Spoon, Pavement and Modest Mouse are far too niche to be considered culturally relevant. This is also true for all metal.
>R.E.M., Bruce Springsteen, and U2 have not been critically acclaimed in the last 25 years.
>LCD Soundsystem, Radiohead and Arcade Fire are not rock bands
>>
File: 1464075368049.jpg (23 KB, 474x356) Image search: [Google]
1464075368049.jpg
23 KB, 474x356
>it's this pasta again
>>
Good thing neither of those things matter
>>
>>65169885
Wings
>>
The Killers
>>
>>65169885
Jason Aldean
>>
>>65169885
Please note:
>for every valid answer that REKT me
>I have to make up a strawman argument to disqualify it

Still at it huh?
>>
Blur, The White Stripes, etc.
>>
>>65169885
rem has definitely been critically acclaimed in the last 25 years
you ever heard of automatic for the people?
>>
Panic! At The Disco
>>
>>65169885
>You have 10 seconds to name a rock band from the last 25 years that is both critically acclaimed and culturally relevant
>But you're not allowed to say any of the 3 that are relevant
kek anon
>>
>>65169885
The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys, Queens of the Stone Age, The Mars Volta, Franz Ferdinand, The Smashing Pumpkins, Oasis, Bloc Party, The Libertines, Blur, Pulp, Suede, Interpol, Jack White, Muse, Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Tool, Kings of Leon, The Black Keys, Pearl Jam, Green Day, My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, Blink-182, Brand New, Taking Back Sunday, Mumford & Sons, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Flaming Lips, Sufjan Stevens, Tame Impala, The National, The Hold Steady, Dinosaur Jr, Deerhunter, Mac DeMarco, Porcupine Tree, Beach House, Ween, Titus Andronicus, Bon Iver, Pixies, Spoon, Pavement, Modest Mouse, R.E.M., Bruce Springsteen, U2, LCD Soundsystem, Radiohead, Arcade Fire
>>
>>65169922
isn't that a 70's band?
>>
>>65169938
This is a meme, but Pop Country is probably the closest answer considering op's special brand of autism. Guys like Brad Paisley, Toby Keith, and Tim McGraw are both critically acclaimed and culturally relevant. Their instrumentation is much closer to popular rock and blues styles than traditional country.
>>
Mercury Rev
>>
>R.E.M., Bruce Springsteen, and U2 have not been critically acclaimed in the last 25 years.
Wrong
>>
>>65169983
Hey buddy, I think thats against the rules
>>
>>65169885
this again?

pasta people, nothing to see here
>>
Car Seat Headrest
>>
File: LTnotagoodcall.gif (2 MB, 350x197) Image search: [Google]
LTnotagoodcall.gif
2 MB, 350x197
>>65169885
>Radiohead and Arcade Fire are not rock bands
>>
LCD Soundsystem, Radiohead and Arcade Fire are the answers
>>
>>65169885
My Bloody Valentine...
>>
>>65170240
epic meme will
>>
File: ZOOTV.jpg (301 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ZOOTV.jpg
301 KB, 1280x720
>>65169885

What is your definition of "Critically Acclaimed"? Because ZOOTV and "Actune Baby" is in your 25 year time span (barely)
>>
>>65169964
jesus christ fucking kill yourself
>>
>>65169885
>Tame Impala
Normies all over Australia eat that shit up.
>>
>>65169885
Define "culturally relevant". I see you think it means "it's played at high school dances". It's not what it means.
>>
>>65169885
>You have 10 seconds
NIGGA IT TOOK ME LIKE AN HOUR TO READ ALL THAT SHIT
FUCK.
>>
>>65169885
The Gerogerigegege
>>
>>65170499
Which typeface is used in the background of that? I need it.
>>
>>65169885
>Brand New
>Not critically acclaimed
>>
>>65170838
I didn't create it so I don't know. sorry
>>
>>65170250
>>65170265

this
>>
Weezer
>>
>>65169885
>ctrl-F
>no Death Grips

Disgraceful.
>>
>>65169885
Didn't read past the first paragraph, but Alabama Shakes
>>
>>65170977

also:

>implying Say it Ain't So, Island in the Sun, or Buddy Holly are ever going away
>>
>>65169885
Tony Molina Band
>>
florence and the machine literally fits the OP's criteria
>>
I also wanna say,

>who gives a fuck about rock living on for fucking ever

the times they are a changing, OP
>>
>Radiohead and Arcade Fire are not rock bands
they literally are
The answer is Vampire Weekend btw
>>
>>65170914
Alright.
I ask because that font is used in the Whitehouse music videos (wriggle like a fucking eel & why you never became a dancer).
>>
Fuckin' Nirvana
>>
Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Critically acclaimed across the board and won the Polaris Music Prize.
Other acceptable answers are Weezer, Radiohead, and Arcade Fire.
>>
All these newfags falling for this bait
>>
>>65169885

>Radiohead
>"Radiohead are an English rock band from Abingdon, Oxfordshire, formed in 1985. The band consists of Thom Yorke, Jonny Greenwood, Ed O'Brien, Colin Greenwood, and Phil Selway."

Google is your friend.
>>
>>65171350
who uses newfag unironically anymore
>>
Pixies aren't exactly niche
>>
Acid Mothers Temple
>>
Mastodon /thread
>>
>>65171534
out of all the bands you pick mastodon? jesus christ
>>
>>65170977
This
>>
leaving out some other people's dubious ideas of what critical acclaim and cultural relevance mean, let alone what the acceptance of a mass audience usually means, these ones:
>Dog Faced Hermans
>The Ex
>Fugazi
>Lightning Bolt
>Shellac
just to start
>>
Rock died in 1996. It was then that the most relevant and cunning rock bands at the time were starting to abandon the genre, and a lot of rock veterans were starting to go longer without putting out work. Rock and roll never progressed past that year. Neil Young had a four year gap in his discography following 1996's Broken Arrow, and when he came back with Silver and Gold, for the first time, he sounded old. I guess I sot of see Neil Young as an artist who's always been a sort of reflection of the state of rock and roll.
>>
>>65169885
Hardmode; You can't give the most accurate answer. Haha, you can't!
>>
coheed and cambria
>>
Arcade Fire. Suburbs was their swan song though, that last album sucked hard.
>>
>>65171692
reminds me of SOAD, with a bit more metal
>>
>>65171571
What is wrong with mastodon?
>>
>>65171692
their song A Favor House Atlantic sounds like a heavier Panic at the Disco song. this is pop music
>>
>>65169885
>far too niche to be considered culturally relevant
>Tame Impala

I take it you aren't Australian then, one of the biggest rock bands over here
>>
King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard :^)
>>
rock in its pure form will start in the garage and end in some piss smelly bar
>>
File: 1464186529100.png (9 KB, 591x102) Image search: [Google]
1464186529100.png
9 KB, 591x102
>>65169948
>>
>high school dances and sports events are the "culture" that deems something culturally relevant

grow the fuck up OP
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.