[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did the critics like this shitty band back in the 2000s again?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: spoon.jpg (101 KB, 525x525) Image search: [Google]
spoon.jpg
101 KB, 525x525
Why did the critics like this shitty band back in the 2000s again?
>>
>>65168258
Spoon is pretty catchy. I enjoy the majority of the albums.

Not mind blowing but much better than the majority of the indie scene.
>>
>>65168258
Spoon is good
>>
>>65168258
They aren't shitty, they have some good stuff.

Gimme Fiction and Kill the Moonlight were good albums. Not groundbreaking, but good.
>>
>>65168258
Utterly unpretentious, good-natured and competent rock music with passionate vocals. There's not a whole lot to dislike.
>>
New York Kiss is a fucking perfect song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiAi0RLHDMo
>>
>>65168258
This was my jam in high school
>>
>>65168258
"Critics" gave them favorable reviews which they actually deserved. Spoon are a solid 8 band, at least on the albums I've heard.

Now p4k is a different story. As soon as there is a an indie band in New York, they can't hold their orgasm and explode in a giant burst of cum, throwing BNMs left and right. So they have a huge bias for this good (but not super great) band.

I agree with >>65168558 —for new yorkers they are actually really unpretentious. They've stuck to playing music without trying to build a cult of themselves, be the voice of the generation, etc.
>>
>>65169143
>As soon as there is a an indie band in New York,
They're based in Chicago. They gave that one Sonic Youth album a 0.0 just because they hated New York so much
>>
File: Brent DiCrescenzo.jpg (183 KB, 1380x2112) Image search: [Google]
Brent DiCrescenzo.jpg
183 KB, 1380x2112
>>65169202
>they
See Brent DiCrescenzo, the most autist p4k author.

I understand they're technically from Chicago, but I see this bias towards NYC bands in their writing. Spoon, Vampire Weekend, LCD Soundsystem, Interpol and so on. These are all good but p4k goes way too far with them. I guess it's because NYC is the hipster mecca.
>>
Lol I always mixed them up with the "Goo Goo Dolls" because the album was called "Ga Ga Ga..."

I'm not sure I've ever actually listened to either of them
>>
>>65169411
Pitchfork liked one Interpol albums, and the albums they liked by those other artists are universally acclaimed. I don't see the bias.
>>
>>65169411
Spoon isn't an NYC band in the slightest. They're an Austin band with ties to Chicago, Portland, and (most recently) LA. Plus, Pitchfork doesn't rave about them, but rather just gives them very solid reviews, as does nearly every other major publication.
>>
Girls Can Tell/Kill The Moonlight era Spoon was untouchable. I'm literally just picking a song at random here, they're all gold. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xRKaZFyBIA
>>
>>65169143
>Spoon is an American rock band formed in Austin, Texas.
>>
>>65169891
to be fair, that is a cover, but holy shit that record is so good
>>
this is my favorite spoon song, I dont give a shit if this makes me a normie

This pumps me up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v0KCoPMTdU
>>
>>65169411
Spoon are from Texas.
>>
Why does nobody ever talk about Telephono, A Series of Sneaks, Soft Effects, and The Agony of Laffitte? Everyone only talks about Girls Can Tell onwards.
>>
>>65170116
GOAT track right here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhAdujIj5v8
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.