[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think of this album, and their later career in general?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
What do you think of this album, and their later career in general?
>>
I love Good News
I'm not a huge fan of We Were Dead save for a few tracks
Strangers was okay
>>
Float On is a good song
>>
>>65167556
I own the album, and i can honestly say its my favorite, the rest its ok but its not really my style
>>
>>65167621
sounds like allstar from shrek
>>
>>65167734
maybe if you have downs syndrome
>>
>>65167767
why does this fit perfectly then?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEmJH7JsKgM
>>
>>65167556
They're quality started to dip drastically after Moon and Antarctica but I will say Good News is one of the most solid pop-rock albums released in the 00s. We Were Dead is mostly bad but it has a few gems on it. Strangers is better than We Were Dead but it's still worse than everything else.
>>
Modest Mouse has only released one good song and that is Dashboard
>>
>>65167556
First half is really good, but I've never really loved Float On and Dance Hall is fun at best.
Second half is more spotty, Blame It On The Tetons is one of the worst things they've ever released, it's good lines are ruined by Isaac's awkward singing style, the Sonic Youth ripoff is blatant, and the generic piano has absolutely no place in Modest Mouse's music. Black Cadillacs is also pretty bad.

In general the album feels underdeveloped compared to their earlier stuff, those albums were always moving forward and introducing new ideas but Good News is generally just verse/chorus/verse. Songs like This Devil's Workday and Satin In A Coffin are just watered down versions of Ugly Casanova.

I have no idea what Modest Mouse is doing anymore, it seems like they're conflicted between making interesting music (King Rat, Parting of the Sensory) and just making quirky pop music. The band is dead now anyways now that Eric left.
>>
>>65167795

Probably the same reason this one fits so well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ7TmmyZnHI
>>
>>65168053
I think they could make a decent record if Isaac picked up the needle again.

I'm still hoping for Isaac and Doug to collaborate one day.
http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/1044818/built-to-spill-modest-mouse-eye-jam-session?mobile_redirection=false

>2008
>>
>>65167556
Good album, I've played the shit out of it. Didn't care for (most of ) We Were Dead, Strangers is highly underrated.
>>
>>65168053
dude wtf i love Blame It on the Tetons and frankly i dont give a shit that it sounds like Unwind since i love that song too
>>
>>65168053
I agree, One Chance is amazing though
>>
>>65170430
Both ripped off Love and Mercy anyway.
>>
>>65167556
great album
strangers is underrated as fuck
>>
>>65167556
Everything they've done post Moon & Antarctica has ranged from okay to pretty damn good.

The big problem I see is that Isaac needs to stop producing his own shit. He's a great songwriter obviously but overproduces the shit out of whatever he works on. Some of the releases by other bands on Glacial Pace, notably Mimicking Birds, have suffered from the same fate when he produced their albums.
>>
>>65168678
>>65171080
Agree on Strangers. Most of /mu/ was really digging it before Pitchfork panned it. Such is life I suppose.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.