[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why/when did indie music stop being popular? It had a run from
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: 49075218.jpg (120 KB, 634x799) Image search: [Google]
49075218.jpg
120 KB, 634x799
Why/when did indie music stop being popular?

It had a run from late 2000s to 2012/2013 or so

Then it got replaced by hip hop or EDM or something

When was the zeitgeist?

I remember being on /mu/ during indie rock's height during like 2010/2011 and shit
>>
>>65156600
indie's hay-day was from ~2003-2011. From ~2006 on rap really started to treat ground on the mainstream exploding into the monolith it is today around 2008-2009. During those years there was also a much larger focus in EDM even within the music of traditional popstars (think Rihanna and Calvin Harris, for example) so the EDM kids had their day in the sun for a few years (it's dying down slowly now).

Indie was completely passé by 2012.
>>
there hasn't been any exciting indie releases lately. it's all been rehashes or the same generic formula with everyone having the same vocal style.

the only relevant indie rock artist right now among young people i can think of is mac demarco.
>>
i think low fi focusing on actual instruments will be the next thing sorta like a grunge revival
>>
>>65156600
the national, arcade fire and bon iver all have new albums coming soon.

white indie is eternal. poptomists and n-lovers btfo.
>>
>>65157542
none of those artists are any good anymore, and their original work has aged like milk.

say whatever you want about Funeral, but it's a bit over-the-top.

Think of the 2000's as the 60's and the 2010's as the 70's. Most mainstays of the previous decade are still present but their work is widely understood to be subpar
>>
>>65157632
dude what? so Neon Bible is good no more?
>>
>>65157701
Neon Bible wasn't really that good to begin with.
>>
>>65157701
nah you have a point, i really didn't care too much for neon bible but it hasn't aged that much. then again, it might be too soon to tell.
>>
A lot of top 40 pop is similar to 90s indie nowadays.
>>
Indie was a bloated, decomposing corpse once every commercial on TV played the chorus by a generic band that copied that fucking "WOAAAAAAAAAAAAH" ending part from Wake Up. Good riddance desu
>>
File: 79336a26.jpg (29 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
79336a26.jpg
29 KB, 500x500
>this comes out
>remember thinking "omg I can't wait to hear what indeh will sound like in 10 years
>current year
>mfw
>>
>>65156600
>Why/when did indie music stop being popular?
Never it still is just different acts
Lana del rey,Arctic monkeys,FJM,vampire weekend,sufjan are still thriving strong

edm is overtaking hip hop concerts wise it's way more profitable for the venue just to hire one guy and his macbook then hip hop and their entourage

TL;DR indie is still alive
>>
File: 1407880557181.jpg (142 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1407880557181.jpg
142 KB, 900x900
>>65156783
NOOOOOOOOOOO
that sound so fucking boring, not like the future at all
>>
>>65157921
>TL;DR indie is still in life support

ftfy
>>
>>65157632
I think those bands are still great, Arcade Fire's second best album was released in 2010. I don't find Funeral over the top either and I think it's aged pretty well, still a great album 12 years down the line.

Also every popular genre falls away after a while. Not a bad thing, I think indie was at it's best in the late 90s when it wasn't all that popular. I don't think it's a genre that does well with mass appeal, more "popular" sounding indie just sounds really hollow and souless.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.