[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Noise: why is it so shit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 11
File: 1461861193209.jpg (70 KB, 636x380) Image search: [Google]
1461861193209.jpg
70 KB, 636x380
Why does noise music, which is supposedly totally built on the foundation of total radicalism and freedom and invidivualism, all sound the same?
Why are noise fans so pretentious yet so incapable of explaining what the merit of noise music is?
Is noise music a scam exploiting gullible idiots desperate to be seen as being into something "radical"?
Is noise music for losers?
Is noise music for ex-metalheads who now want to look intelligent but still can't let go of bonheaded "extremism" in sound and imagery?
>>
here's your reply before this thread reaches 100+
>>
Nice pasta, delete this
>>
I miss this pasta
Pharmakon is trash
>>
I partially agree with OP. Most of it seems rather concerned with being as edgy as possible than actually exploring the sonic possibilities that lie within experimentations with noise. Take someone like Dominick Fernow aka Prurient. His work is either samey trash or, when he tries to step out of his comfort zone, straight up amateurish (Frozen Niagara Falls was an overhyped bad album).

This is reflected in the aesthetic and imagery of most noise too. It dresses juvenile death metal edginess in a coat of faux intellectualism, which, in turn, makes the whole thing look even more ridiculuous than it already is.
>>
>>65155579
Lmao
>>
>>65155579
"Samey" is my favorite buzzword
>>
I like noise, it puts me in a trance, its not for everyone, but then not every genre is, you cant expect to like everything, i also like noise because of how much is going on, you cant get bored of it, theres so many things for your brain to analyse, you could argue its shit and pointless and "not music" but you could argue the same about metal or pop, its what you personally percieve and want from music that makes it music
>>
>>65155579
>It dresses juvenile death metal edginess in a coat of faux intellectualism, which, in turn, makes the whole thing look even more ridiculuous than it already is.
>>65154933
>Is noise music a scam exploiting gullible idiots desperate to be seen as being into something "radical"?
Yes and yes.
Typical example - https://envelopephilter.bandcamp.com/
>>
File: 1463226930810.jpg (1 MB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
1463226930810.jpg
1 MB, 2000x2000
Tell me why my noise is shit

https://soundcloud.com/ourexitbag/so-so-sufferers
>>
>>65154933
I make noise and my shit doesn't sound like anyone else. Most noise "musicians" are uninspired edgelords that make pretentious trash.
>>
>>65156345
>I make noise and my shit doesn't sound like anyone else.
-literally every noise artist
>>
>>65156359
It doesn't because I don't make it in the regular way that most noise hacks do, but go ahead and condemn me anyway you philistine.
>>
>>65156417
Come on then bobby, share your method.
I need a good laugh.

Here's mine >>65148481
>>
>>65156345
>>65156417

you sound like someone who's heard like 5 noise albums in their life
your "work" is, without a doubt, utter dogshit made by someone who's got no idea what they're doing
>>
>>65156443
Why would I share anything I make on /mu/? There is really nothing for me to gain from it and I know this game, it's the 'you can't win' game.

It is extremely easy for lazy people on this board to spout bullshit about stuff they don't like because people here, and I use 'people' very liberally to describe the sorts here, are terminally cynical without any sort of merit for their cynicism, nor anything substantial to contribute.
>>
>>65156561
Ah another person who passes judgement and has already made up their mind all while being completely ignorant, such is to be expected from the fine folks of /mu/.
>>
>>65156611
You've never made anything worth listening to.
>>
>>65156671
prove me wrong. i will give your work a 100% fair chance.
>>
hehe everytime people fall for the "noise is bad" meme
>>
>>65156256
yo my dude, I remember you from a month ago or so. I was fucking stunned when I heard your shit. keep it up bruh.

disclaimer - not a samefag, go listen to his shit, you'll like it
>>
>>65156611
>I use 'people' very liberally to describe the sorts here, are terminally cynical without any sort of merit for their cynicism
I am a musician. I play multiple instruments. I have for decades. I am a qualified sound engineer.
I can read music.

I am definitely qualified to say whether noise is shit or not, and let me tell you - the peer reviewed opinion is that it's utter toilet water.
>>
>>65156697
>>65156717
Every time I've browsed /mu/ threads lately it's been filled to the brim with "hurr music is such shit pls spoonfeed me" threads.

There is simply nothing that this board likes, and despite how 'patrician' they paint themselves, their taste is pretty poor.
>>
>>65156877
translation
>2deep4u
We get it. You know your stuff is shit and don't want to share it.

If you really don't want your precious name tarnished by association with here, upload a sample of your work to clyp.it.

We will listen fairly.
>>
My biggest problem with noise musicians is that they use their gear as a crutch for their musical ability. Paying for sound, one pedal at a time.

Wait, that's my problem with most musicians.

It just doesn't seem like there's much effort put in by the artist when all they do is twist knobs and toggle effects. Their arrogance after a performance is unwarranted. There is never any visible exertion. Ain't a proper show unless you're dripping with sweat when you're done.
>>
>>65156824
If you are even half those things that you say you are then why the fuck are you shitposting on /mu/?

I don't buy it, go shit in your socks.
>>
>>65156824
Do you not see how wrong judging genre that exists to make music outside of musical rules by the standard of those rules is?
>>
>>65156824
>I am a musician.

me too

>I play multiple instruments.

me too! what a coincidence!

>I have for decades.

getting there

>I am a qualified sound engineer.

getting there too! what the fuck man, we should get married or something

>I can read music.

so can my dog, dude

>I am definitely qualified to say whether noise is shit or not, and let me tell you - the peer reviewed opinion is that it's utter toilet water.

and i am definitely qualified to say whether noise is shit or not, and let me tell you - the peer reviewed opinion is that it's among the most rewarding and exciting movements in 20th/21st century sound art

>>65156877
i don't need spoonfeeding, i've been listening to this stuff for ages and i'm perfectly capable of finding more of it on my own
i'd just like to be proven wrong by you, oh noise genius of /mu/. come on, do it.
>>
>>65156924
>There is never any visible exertion. Ain't a proper show unless you're dripping with sweat when you're done.
I think it's possible to have good shows without breaking a sweat (some chilled folk acoustic guitar stuff).
It's not the lack of visible exertion that annoys me, it's the lack of visible talent.
Any monkey could twist some dials and shit some noise out.
>>65156952
>If you are even half those things that you say you are then why the fuck are you shitposting on /mu/?
Working on a film score from home. In my breaks between work seesions, I shitpost on /mu/
>>
>>65156965
>Do you not see how wrong judging genre that exists to make music outside of musical rules by the standard of those rules is?
It's not music. That's why it's outside musical rules.
>>
>>65156970
If you're such a fucking expert then why can't you find music on your own? It's not even hard.

My posts on this thread aren't even about my music, it's an indictment of the state of /mu/ and wanting people here to search for more things that they like that aren't heavily-shilled big label garbage.

I want to actually improve the taste of this board in some way.
>>
>>65156924
>all this presumptuous, clueless rockism

fucking lel, i shouldn't have expect anything else from a LOUD AND PROUD SOUND ENGINEER BOW DOWN BITCHES
>>
File: option.png (108 KB, 599x442) Image search: [Google]
option.png
108 KB, 599x442
>>65157074
>I want to actually improve the taste of this board in some way.
>>
>>65156987
How many records did you sell last year?
>>
>>65157074
how do you expect me to find your music, you silly fucker? i've got nothing to go off of in my search
come on dude, if you really are a NOISE GENIUS WHO DOESN'T MAKE NOISE IN THE REGULAR WAY MY SHIT DOESN'T SOUND LIKE ANYONE ELSE I'M A GENIUS the least you can do is back it up with some samples
it doesn't even have to be recent shit, i'm sure even an unreleased demo from like 5 years ago would be enough to convince me of your genius considering how brilliant you claim to be
>>
>>65156800
>>65156256
This is actually pretty nice in places.

I wouldn't class it as noise because it has melodies.
>>
>>65156256
I mean this is more like drone but it's really good senpai
>>
>>65156987
I hear you on the talent thing. Usually it's a voice that stands out with those sort of acts. Shame the wannabes bury it in reverb to make up for their singing ability.
>>
>>65154933
I LOOOVE NOISE MUSIC IT ISN'T SHIT AND YOUR POST IS SHIT LMAO
WE HAVE THIS DISCUSSION EVERY OTHER WEEK LMAO LOL
>>
>>65157085
I'm a classically trained, world-renowned composer and filmmaker and I spend my free time shitposting on an image board filled with autistic children.
>>
>>65157157
Dude I'm just trolling, I don't even make music.
>>
File: 1463245470324.jpg (4 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1463245470324.jpg
4 KB, 184x184
>>65157198
>I'm a classically trained, world-renowned composer and filmmaker

aren't we all?
>>
>>65157227
damn, i never would have guessed...
>>
>yeah, I'm a noise man myself
>prurient, merzbow, pharmakon, the list goes on and on...
>>
>>65157085
There is something to said about the flurry of technical and rhythmic ability. I have seen it with experimental musicians, but more commonly it's sheer laziness passing for art. I wouldn't prescribe it exclusively to rock whatsoever, but feel free to continue disregarding my opinion.
>>
>>65156256
This is great which is why it isn't noise
>>
File: 1448441746163.png (75 KB, 983x1013) Image search: [Google]
1448441746163.png
75 KB, 983x1013
>>65157198
>I'm a classically trained, world-renowned composer and filmmaker
i'm also 6'4, god-tier aesthetics and have a 11' dick made out of solid chocolate
>>
the main appeal of noise is the edge though. nobody would listen to all that bullshit if it wasn't for the image that goes along with it. the sole purpose of the music is to be as cartoonishly extreme as possible. of course it mainly appeals to manchildren and edgelords.

besides, there's only like ten noise artists /mu/ ever talks about, even in the /noise/ generals. very few people actually like that stuff enough to dig deeper.
>>
>>65157361
yeah anyone with a brain would know only merzbow is worthwhile noise
>>
File: image.jpg (469 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
469 KB, 2000x2000
>>65156800
Thanks.
I was approached recently by a label I've actually heard of. This project might be getting a physical I didn't just tape together.

>>65156924
I work with my shit for hours a day to be able to do what I do live. Developing a physical presence doesn't always play into or feed off of valid performance, though I think it has for me.

>>65157158
>>65157171
>>65157510
I identify as a noise musician
>>
STOP
>>
>>65157713
Hey man how do you do those images? They look so fucking uncomfortable but pleasing, design-wise.
>>
> Noise = Harsh Noise Walls
okay
>>
>>65154933
Pharmy isn't noise though
>>
>>65158331
and then there's faggots like this

>muh power electronics
>muh death industrial
>>
Noise
>>
File: TDS.png (171 KB, 399x400) Image search: [Google]
TDS.png
171 KB, 399x400
can we just agree that thousands of dead gods is best concept album ever?
>>
Noise has no point existing anymore. Back in the 70s and 80s, it was radical and unheard of, but it died for a reason - it lost its groundbreaking and scary nature.

The internet got a bunch of autists who wanted an excuse to thrash around like spergs (but were afraid of punks and metalheads beating them up) into it again once you could find noise easily instead of having to hunt, and it was "obscure and edgy" enough for hipsters who wear black all the time to get into it.

See also: Post-punk and Industrial revivals
>>
>>65160094
>can we just agree that thousands of dead gods is best concept album ever?
No, that would be Joe's Garage by Zappa.
>>
Pharmakon and Puce Mary are only the faces of noise because they aren't hideous and have vaginas. If they looked like anything else, they would be another forgettable noise act that would be ignored.

Noise is, by far, the most image driven scene in the world.
>>
>>65160197
never liked joe's garage, maybe i had some shitty repress but music was mastered to be as loud as possible, no dynamic what so ever. Also I never got into solos there
>>
>>65160262
I hate over long solos as well. Give em 16 bars and tell them to shut up.

But I have a blind spot for Zappa.

I dunno, I first listened to it on a shitty low quality kazaa download in like 2001 and still loved it. Put the headphones on and really listen to the whole story, plus there's some catchy shit in there.

Eh, it's not for everyone though.
>>
>>65160311
i kno, to be honest i always had problem with zappa. tried poppier stuff: boring. tried jazzier stuff: bored. tried experimental shit: okay, but still not right.
>>
This is probably my favourite zappa solo ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiyW0cwvWc0
>>
From someone who actually enjoys noise: it's music for people who have listened to so much music they don't even enjoy it anymore. It's aural masochism to compensate for the fact that noise musicians and listeners don't know how to make anything that people actually like.
I dunno, it's a place people end up and inevitably grow out of because there's nothing interesting or fun about it.
>>
>>65160164
post-punk is just pop music for the thinking man
>>
the internet is definitely one of the worst things to have happened to noise
for all the alleged liberation, convenience and availability that came along with it there is yet to appear even a single notable and undeniably significant artist for whom it could be said that yeah, were it not for the internet this person probably would not have managed to connect with this whole thing and make what they are making
not a single fucking artist

all it's done is made it easy for any moron with a pirated DAW and too much spare time to shit out mp3 after mp3 of garbage deserving of nobody's attention

anyway, everyone posting in this thread (including myself ofc) is a fucking idiot who knows nothing about nothing
both the people arguing against noise and the ones arguing in favor of it

/noise/ has been a thing for 2 or 3 years now, right? and it still hasn't resulted in anyone on /mu/ learning anything about this shit
legit the dumbest general on the board, it would be quite funny if it wasn't so irritating
>>
>>65161443
>/noise/ dumber than /kpop/
Opinion dismissed.
>>
>>65161468
i don't mind k-pop, they stick to their general and never interact with the rest of the board
they don't influence it in any way whatsoever

idiot infested shithole generals like /noise/ and /daily/ and the like actually leak onto the rest of the board and play a part, however small, in steering the general board culture in one way or another
a thread like this(and many others in the same vein) and all the braindead posts in it is a direct result of /noise/'s existence
>>
>>65161550
Oh come on. Almost nobody understand noise. That's why they post aggressively. The shitheads are the people like you that complains, not the one sharing the stuff.

Also, /noise/ leaking more than death grips fans? Worse than mu-core? Worse than all the weeaboo shit? More than waifu shitters? Get a grip man.
>>
File: nowe_1.jpg (289 KB, 803x801) Image search: [Google]
nowe_1.jpg
289 KB, 803x801
I've been working on several noise pieces around the idea of a northless rebel. My starting point is the metaphor of a noise musician as an outsider looking for something that perhaps he won't find beyond the limits of sound perception. Even though he doesn't know where he is going, he keeps moving.

I don't know this fits this thread but whatever

https://soundcloud.com/pedro-ram-rez/a-man-going-nowhere-i?in=pedro-ram-rez/sets/a-man-going-nowhere
>>
>>65157905
I'm assuming you're talking about the most recent set. Those involved taking pictures of girls I know, manipulating those pictures, inking them, and then bringing them into software to manipulate them further.

>>65161443
Even being somebody who composes exclusively with hardware instruments, hearing someone say more or less that using software is an inherently bad thing is comical.
>>
File: 1463159151126.jpg (40 KB, 371x593) Image search: [Google]
1463159151126.jpg
40 KB, 371x593
>>65161704
>Almost nobody understand noise.
2deep4u!
>>
>>65161818
>https://soundcloud.com/pedro-ram-rez/a-man-going-nowhere-i?in=pedro-ram-rez/sets/a-man-going-nowhere
Sounds like early Burzum, but only if played through a guitar with a really shitty guitar lead that is about to break so it keeps cutting out, through an amp that the singer has left his mic next to so it feeds back.
>>
>>65161704
I understand noise
>>
File: world-coming-down-51da406c1465a.jpg (220 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
world-coming-down-51da406c1465a.jpg
220 KB, 1000x1000
>>65161840
top fucking lel @ his t-shirt
>>
>>65161704
I understand noise
>>
>>65161840
>>65161967
>>65162082
>I don't know what is a generalization
Does this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LVE_ALI4jA sounds like something a lot of people enjoy?
>>
>>65162203
>Does this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LVE_ALI4jA [Remove] sounds like something a lot of people enjoy?
It sounds like crap m8.
>>
>>65162203
I think fatale is kinda overrated but this is far from unenjoyable. It has rhythm, a clash of different frequencies and a slow progression in waves, it's developed enough to hold my attention. If you listen to music only for pleasing sounds then of course you'll see no merit in this. It's like asking how people can enjoy BDSM regardless of how many have this fetish.
>>
>>65162203
Wow, this is shit. Is this supposed to be "good noise"?
What is the point of a "song" like this?
>>
>>65162279
>>65162321
>>65162347
It's on the essential and a well respected album and a favorite of mine.
>>
>>65162499
It may be essential among millenial americanoise releases but otherwise it shouldn't get that much praise imo as it's nothing boundary-pushing or unique.
>>
>>65162611
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0L8510BYqo is great and genre pushing.
>>
>>65162709
it's a pleasant and well-executed catharsis but doesn't work for me as it's just not my type of noise

by the way, what's the point of this thread anyway? 2 anons arguing about the relevancy of a very specific album can't be it...
>>
Noise is a dead form of expression. The tumblrite SJWs drove it into the ground. It's the opposite of edgy now.

Structured improvisation and melody is the new rebellious musical action
>>
>>65162499
>It's on the essential and a well respected album
This is called appeal to authority. It makrs you out os an emperor's new clothes type idiot.
>and a favorite of mine.
Well, figures.
>>
>>65162861
[2]
>>
>>65162880
Nope that's a common statement on this album i.e. it's a classic.
>>
>>65162709
>genre pushing
Only if the genre is noise, because it has a piano youcan hear in it.

Hilarious band name, pedestrian deposit. I think he must be in on the joke and he's mocking the tards who listen to him with that name.
>>
>>65162918
You give a shit what critics say?

Fucking pleb.
>>
>>65162933
>he
it's a duo (male and female)

and wow really, going for the artist's name. Who's next on your list, "Throbbing Gristle"?
>>
>>65162933
>>65162959
I've seen them live, loved that album and THEN found it on the essentials.
You guys really don't get it. That's the whole point. But please continue projecting about me not understanding the genre.
>>
kinds of people who listen to noise:

ex-metalheads who want to feel elitist
highschool virgins who believe their taste in music will impress "patrician" girls
hipsters who read about prurient and pharmakon on p4k
people who claim to be nazis to be edgy
>>
>>65163605
>there's no way people are able to enjoy music I'm not able to
>must come up with stereotypes to comprehend it otherwise I have to admit to not getting a whole genre
>>
File: ice-1.jpg (442 KB, 1100x734) Image search: [Google]
ice-1.jpg
442 KB, 1100x734
>>65163605
>mfw people like things I don't like
>>
>>65154933
it's good to scare kids and grandma with, also to piss off rowdy neighbours. beyond that i don't see why anyone should subject them to it.
>>
>>65154933
>main point of noise is being "extreme"

How many releases did you listen to? Five?
>>
Mainstream noise is universally shit. It's all tumblr "hurr durr progressive rebellion" bullshit that's more about looking cool than actual sound. There's no real artistic statement there or anything; they just want to be able to call themselves an artist while putting in minimum effort.

The actual people passionate people in noise rarely make a big spectacle about it and are more interested in exploring sound than dressing in black and smearing fake blood all over themselves.
>>
>>65154933
I'm not that into noise yet, but the reason I decided to start exploring noise is because it helps when i'm in a shitty mood. it helps my anger and not to think, even helps me to focus more as a great deal of it it's really soothing.

I don't over-analyze it, it just is.
>>
>>65163848
if you don't think noise is extreme relative to other genres you're retarded
>>
>>65163995
>what is power noise
stop generalizing

and if you're referring to imagery, your strawman is even worse
>>
>>65164032
I meant that noise and drone and a lot of ambient sound "extreme" to normies who aren't used to listening to music that stays the same for a long amount of time
literally any music that requires patience on behalf of the listener is extreme if you compare to most of what's popular today.
>>
>>65162933
>I think he must be in on the joke and he's mocking the tards who listen to him with that name.
Lookit this fuckin guy
>>
>>65163605
Hellyeah, I'm none of these
>>
>>65163605
>tfw university virgin and want to impress patrician boys with my taste

w-well then
>>
>>65156256
do you do your art too? pretty good stuff
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.