[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does he have conclusively have the worst taste in history?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6
File: Robert_Christgau_02.jpg (435 KB, 1920x1275) Image search: [Google]
Robert_Christgau_02.jpg
435 KB, 1920x1275
Does he have conclusively have the worst taste in history?
>>
Maybe, but he's right about prog, a lot of it is just wannabe jazz/classical (ELP) garbage for people who think are too god for rock music but can't get into actual jazz or classical.
See proge mon.

>Can, next to Henry Cow, this durable (and variable) German contingent is art-rock's most genuinely avant-garde band, adapting Stockhausen and Coleman to rock rhythms and sonorities in a way that is usually interesting if rarely (in my experience) compelling.

>Inb4 Soulja boy
>>
Scaruffi is worst
>>
I hate him.
>>
File: cute anime pic 0141.jpg (108 KB, 1024x724) Image search: [Google]
cute anime pic 0141.jpg
108 KB, 1024x724
I don't really mind his opinions as a popular music critic. He seems to at least like music a bit. But they can be confusing and in some cases seem more like ramblings than actual short commentary on music.
>>65146847
Proge Mon is still a thing?
>>
yeah cause he hates radiohead
>>
>>65147060
He thinks he's funny as fuck.
>>
I've never read any reviews filled with so much fancy sounding jargon & legit bullshit - I'd call him an archetypal music snob if other music snobs made as little sense as he does in his writing
>>
No, but he's one of the absolute worst reviewers.
>>
the way hevwrites he comes off as such a condescending shit-eating prock
>>
>>65147213
i need to proofread my shit goddamn

regardless he's a tasteless prick
>>
christgau is a hack, plain and simple
>>
>>65146847
But Karn Evil 9 tho
>>
Look at it with at least a minimal level of objectivity.

He has been review albums since the 60's. The sheer number of reviews lends evidence to any argument you could ever wish to make. There are THOUSANDS of reviews where he just nails it. Just as many where he misses the point. Pigheaded, prophetic, ignorant, insane, perverted. There's evidence of all of it.

What's unquestionable is that:
a. he's listened to way more albums than you
b. he's more talented than you
c. he's funny as shit
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8LYpyXerDg

I don't know why
you wann' impress Christgau
ahh let that shit die
and find out the new goal
>>
>>65147449
>b. he's more talented than you
He can't even make music and his opinions are usually shit.
>>
>>65146685
He's definitely a contender.
>>
File: christagu70s.jpg (6 KB, 160x168) Image search: [Google]
christagu70s.jpg
6 KB, 160x168
>>65147497
>Forget "edge," or whatever the edgy are calling it these days. I wish we could forget their non-youth in the bargain, but that wheeze will remain with us--they create from what they know. So let me put it this way: Sonic Youth are the best band in the universe, and if you can't get behind that, that's your problem.
>>
>>65146685
The Roger Ebert of music.
>>
His rationales are awful.
>>
M.I.A. is his waifu and he is a courageous critic in being so open about it
>>
>>65146685
>>65146937
>>65147097
>>65147165
>>65147188
>>65147213
>>65147279
>>65149975
ITT: People angry because Robert Christgau called your album shit.

Christgau is the only critic worth a damn. He's the only person who actually critiques the music and provides his personal perspective on it. In one to two sentence aphorisms he says more than paragraphs by Scaruffi and fucking wasteful 20 minute videos by Fantano.

I know that hurts to hear, since you kids worship Fantano, but he's the worst fucking critic. When you grow up you'll understand that.
>>
>>65146847
>>65147060
>>65147108
FYI: I hate ELP. Shitty wank garbage

What? I'm a big jazz fan, although I prefer free and spiritual jazz and post-bop to hard bop and bebop.

And Christgau is terrible. Kill yourself btw
>>
Did he have a stroke when he changed his rating system from simple A, B, C etc. to bomb emoji star starstar A-
>>
>>65150036
You're forgetting the scissors emoji which makes 0 fucking sense at all, as does the rest of his retarded system.
>>
>>65150001
here's your (You) btw
>>
>>65150001
>I only know of meme critics
>>
Christgau has something people on here don't like. An independent sense of taste. He's a punk rocker and happy to be it.

The rest of you faggots are just eating the scrappings of other shitty YouTube and Pitchfork darlings while he's carved his own path in Punk, Jazz, Classical, everything.

He's reviewed and listened to more music than any of you.
>>
>>65150100
mediocre bait, you'll probably offend a person or two but you won't get as many angry replies as >>65150001
>>
X-"I didn't understand this album so I'll give it a lower score"-Gau
>>
File: Capture.png (8 KB, 758x86) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
8 KB, 758x86
>>65150114
They're both sincere you piece of shit, do you have an argument to refute me?
>>
>>65150115
He's given plenty of classical an A- even though he doesn't really fully understand the music.
>>
File: 1322531108494.png (265 KB, 334x393) Image search: [Google]
1322531108494.png
265 KB, 334x393
>>65150001
i am ok with album i like being criticized. what im not ok with is giving soulja boy an A
>>
>>65150128
wew lad

you need to improv on your bait btw
>>
>>65150001
>critiques music
>'beats masturbating' is one of his reviews
>>
>>65150147
>Boy do the haters get busy on this 16-year-old. But scrutinize the "superman" matter (look it up) and you'll see that even if he thought he was sneaking something outlandishly filthy onto a pop record, his fans thought he was inventing a dance that involved flying, thus furthering the presumption of innocence so crucial to his cute.
Christgau falling for internet bait.
>>
He writes decently and conservatively, people that hate him either dislike his taste, or they value him for more than entertainment.
>>
>>65150233
>he writes decently
see >>65150195

he's only decent if you take him as an ironic joke
>>
>>65150242
That is entirely the point of Christgau.

You're not actually pathetic enough to read reviews and take them seriously, are you.
>>
>>65150266
>You're not actually pathetic enough to think that people don't deserve to be paid to shitpost, are you.
>>
>>65146685
Yes. He literally only likes Bob Dylan and the New York Dolls
>>
>>65150338
Don't forget the one or two token avant-rock bands because he needs to prove that "i-i swear guys i don't hate art rock look i like henry cow can the list goes on"

Like seriously those are fantastic bands but fuck him and people who use them to support his taste
>>
>>65150370
>liking any rock
That is pretty bad taste.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1 MB, 1082x850) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1 MB, 1082x850
>>65150224
>a dance that involved flying
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.