[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Zepp
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3
All memeing aside, is Led Zeppelin the most talented group of all time?

>Robert Plant: Incredible vocal range, even at his current age (watch Celebration Day)
>John Bonham: Often ranked as the best drummer in rock history. So good that people thought he was using a double bass
>Jimmy Page: Considered one of, if not the best guitarist in rock history. Inspired multiple generations of guitar players
>John Paul Jones: The "forgotten" zeppelin is still an accomplished bass player and organist
>>
Musically talented, yeah.
>>
>>65136589
They are the most talented at ripping off dead black musicians, yes
>>
Now back by popular demand! A list of some of the songs Zep stole from other artists:
"Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" - A folk song by Anne Bredon, this was originally credited as "traditional, arranged by Jimmy Page," then "words and music by Jimmy Page," and then, following legal action, "Bredon/Page/Plant."
"Black Mountain Side" - uncredited version of a traditional folk tune previously recorded by Bert Jansch.
"Bring It On Home" - the first section is an uncredited cover of the Willie Dixon tune (as performed by the imposter Sonny Boy Williamson).
"Communication Breakdown" - apparently derived from Eddie Cochran's "Nervous Breakdown."
"Custard Pie" - uncredited cover of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down," with lyrics from Sleepy John Estes's "Drop Down Daddy."
"Dazed And Confused" - uncredited cover of the Jake Holmes song (see The Above Ground Sound Of Jake Holmes).
"Hats Off To (Roy) Harper" - uncredited version of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down."
"How Many More Times" - Part one is an uncredited cover of the Howlin' Wolf song (available on numerous compilations). Part two is an uncredited cover of Albert King's "The Hunter."
"In My Time Of Dying" - uncredited cover of the traditional song (as heard on Bob Dylan's debut).
"The Lemon Song" - uncredited cover of Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor" - Wolf's publisher sued Zeppelin in the early 70s and settled out of court.
"Moby Dick" - written and first recorded by Sleepy John Estes under the title "The Girl I Love," and later covered by Bobby Parker.
"Nobody's Fault But Mine" - uncredited cover of the Blind Willie Johnson blues.
"Since I've Been Lovin' You" - lyrics are the same as Moby Grape's "Never," though the music isn't similar.
"Stairway To Heaven" - the main guitar line is apparently from "Taurus" by Spirit.
"White Summer" - uncredited cover of Davey Graham's "She Moved Through The Fair."
"Whole Lotta Love" - lyrics are from the Willie Dixon blues "You Need Love."
>>
>>65136644
>copies them
>does them much better
What's the problem?
>>
>>65136644
This thread is about their musical talent. Everyone knows they stole shit, but everyone also knows they're fucking godlike on insutrments
>>
>>65136658
>ooooh yeaaah ooooh yeaaaahh oooooh yeaaaaah
>twingy twingy twaaaang
>baby baby baby baby baby
Wow much better
>>
Ozzy is a better vocalist
Tony Iommi is a better guitarist
Geezer Butler is a better bassist
Bill Ward is a better drummer
>>
>>65136692
Excessive plagiarism is indicative of a lack of musical talent.
>>
>>65136701
You made it sound like it sucks baka
>>
Bonzo is pretty fucking good, but he's overrated.

The drummer from the Jimi Hendrix Experience, Neil Peart, and Ginger Baker are all superior. Peart is of course on his own fucking planet when it comes to ranking drummers
>>
>>65136773
Yes I know I accurately described it.
>>
>>65136589
>>Robert Plant: Incredible vocal range, even at his current age (watch Celebration Day)
John lennon, Jim Morrison, Roger Daltrey and Freddie Mercury all had better range.
>>John Bonham: Often ranked as the best drummer in rock history. So good that people thought he was using a double bass
See How Loud I Can Play!: The Drummer
>>Jimmy Page: Considered one of, if not the best guitarist in rock history. Inspired multiple generations of guitar players
Zzzzzzzzzz
>>John Paul Jones: The "forgotten" zeppelin is still an accomplished bass player and organist
Forgotten for a reason.

Let's not forget their songwriting was poor.
>>
Rush is more talented in every instrument
>>
>>65136920
>>>Jimmy Page: Considered one of, if not the best guitarist in rock history. Inspired multiple generations of guitar players
>Zzzzzzzzzz
great argument
>>
>>65136992
>great argument
Just playing Blues guitar really well doesn't make you a well-rounded guitarist, does it?
>>
>>65136969
>>65136969
>>65136969
/thread
>>
>>65136589
they are the most technically talented band, but their writing wasn't anything spectacular.

they are one of my favourites though and LZIV is a perfect 10 album
>>
>>65136709
Since when?
>>
As a white blues band they were boring as fuck. As a folk/folk-rock group they were outstanding. It's aggravating how little material they recorded in that vein.
>>
>>65137152
II is better
>>
>>65136799
Hello, non-drummer
>>
>>65137290
How long have you been playing jazz?
>>
>>65136799
Bill Bruford is better than all of them
>>
>>65137290
I also don't make movies, doesn't mean I'm not allowed to rank filmmakers

faggot
>>
>rock
>musical talent
>>
File: 1463536769508.jpg (291 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
1463536769508.jpg
291 KB, 960x1280
>>65136589
no
>>
>>65136589
No, not even close. If anything they are the most overrated of all time.
Seriously. There is one standout song on their best known album (When the levee breaks)
>>
>>65137178
since the dawn of existance

the power of the riff compels me
>>
>>65136644
>all meming aside
>>
>>65136799
motherfucking Steve Smith is just as good behind the drum set

and what more can you say about Ginger Baker? along with Cream they were the real and most talented group of all time that's why they were called Cream cause they were the cream of the crop

I would put Queen and any King Crimson lineup before Zepp and I'm a Zepp fan
>>
>>65137152
>they are the most technically talented band

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA kill yourself
>>
>>65138605
give me a rock band where all members are one by one more technically capable than LZ members.
>>
>>65138779
Yes
>>
>>65136589

In regards to every band member being the best in their field, I think that goes to Yes during the Yes Album - Topographic Oceans period

Jon Anderson, Steve Howe, Rick Wakeman, Bill Bruford, and especially Chris Squire all have so much talent it's insane
>>
>>65138779
Deep Purple, Rush, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Cream
>>
>>65137024
Actually it does since almost every good non-Spanish guitarist comes from Blues.
>>
Zep is my favorite band, but I'm not sure, OP.
>>Robert Plant: Incredible vocal range, even at his current age (watch Celebration Day)
Freddie Mercury is quite better than him.
>John Bonham: Often ranked as the best drummer in rock history. So good that people thought he was using a double bass
The best drummer? I think Keith Moon is on the same level. Neil Peart too, maybe even higher.
>Jimmy Page: Considered one of, if not the best guitarist in rock history. Inspired multiple generations of guitar players
Great, but far from the best, sure a top 5.
>John Paul Jones: The "forgotten" zeppelin is still an accomplished bass player and organist
I agree with this one.

Maybe they are at a whole, but I don't think they excel so much in individualities.
>>
>>65139177
Neil Peart is on a completely different level than Bonham, it's not even close.
>>
File: 1341714704533.png (12 KB, 537x401) Image search: [Google]
1341714704533.png
12 KB, 537x401
>>65136644

Oh wow holy shit

You mean a band did about 16 bluesy covers/medleys/takes on traditionals in a discography of 87 songs?

lol
>>
>>65139047
Not really.
>>
>>65139642
Except those are all the songs they are well-known for.
>>
They are truly amazing. I think Achilles Last Stand is the best representation of their talent though. Truly a masterpiece.
>>
>>65136589
Love all except Robert Plant
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.