[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Death Grips has created the new style: post rap. The band shows
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: death-grips.jpg (165 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
death-grips.jpg
165 KB, 1366x768
Death Grips has created the new style: post rap. The band shows people that rap is actually fucking ridiculous with overblown masculine references, where the performers were shouting about the size of their dick and the bitches they fuck fuck for so long that the only thing that is literally left to talk about is sexual rage, where "of course I can make you scream, but if you ask for more." Rap always glorified the idea of publicity; that the performer is known by everyone that he is the new rock star, whom everyone wants to be, but Death Grips show that now he is actually a paranoid autist in "eight-high abandoned building" and you are literally not just wanting to be him, but you are trying to understand him and he dares you to "come up and get" him. Even more there was always the glorification of drugs and reckless behavior, telling everyone that they smoke weed or drink lean and that are in open rebellion against the forces. Well Death Grips show us that in fact we are seeing not just a rebellion but an ugly reality, where those rock stars are "Tailpipe draggin’, volume blastin’, bailin’ out my brain" and are "Never not on it, leanin' so hard you're ashamed." Musically, Death Grips exhibit tons of electronic and rock influences from previous years, and of course this is not at all new with bands like Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit doing this before, but now it is just a nearly random wall of sound with just mush of all the previous ideas. And the beat, that was always glorified in nearly every rap song and highlighted to the point where it almost became the main part of the track is now highlighted by the flat drums and electronics making the sound so raw that we cannot say if it is a rap beat anymore.

pls ask question, I can't explain myself properly in 2K signs
>>
But Limp Bizkit already pioneered this music 18 years ago.
>>
please kill yourself
>>
>>65136463
not sure if this is just a pasta but this makes lots of sense and i like it
>>
Post HIP-HOP

Rap is not a genre
>>
>>65136527
fair
>>
>>65136463
is it critiquing or embracing masculinity?
>>
>>65136553
I would argue they are experimental rather than post though.

Doesn't post imply it's an established genre? There aren't many DG copycats
>>
>>65136576
i feel like it is a critique because Grips are bringing the concept to such an extreme level that it is no longer admirable, but is actually scary from the mainstream point of view
>>
>>65136629
i feel like at this point it is arguable that Rap is very established in society and can be considered a mainstream genre
>>
>>65136649
but ive found almost all hills music to be indulgently masculine. celebrating male energy and power in no way critiquing it. maybe im wrong but i feel they are celebrating masculinity rather than critiquing it
>>
>>65136721
I could be wrong but I rarely see Death Grips actually celebrating anything, it's always either a critique or commentary on whatever it may be and like the other anon said, when they do have bragatory lyrics they're usually so extreme and hyper-violent/sexual that I can't see them as anything other than criticism on the typical masculinity of hip-hop/rap which tends to be laughable.
>>
>>65136721
that is a fair point of view and may be correct. There are two reasonwhy I am not thinking that masculinity is being celebrated here, which are: 1) The protagonist of many Death Grips songs is not interested in society and in some cases, completely antisocial and flawed (Come Up and Get Me, Birds, Get Got) which is not fitting with the mainstream perception of masculinity. 2) Even though, the banded uses the word "bitch" a lot, we never see an explicit comment about females, it is mostly about the domination of man, but not about the woman. this may be argued in light of the lyrics from songs like "Trash" and "Three Bedrooms in A Good Neighborhood," but I am basing my thinking mostly on the previous albums.

But even if you right, which is very likely, we still see a completely new level of masculinity being discussed in their lyrics. It is no longer "one good girl worth a thousand bitches" it is literally a soulless manifestation of sexual violence, which is still a big commentary about mainstream rap.
>>
>>65136721
hat is a fair point of view and may be correct. There are two reasonwhy I am not thinking that masculinity is being celebrated here, which are: 1) The protagonist of many Death Grips songs is not interested in society and in some cases, completely antisocial and flawed (Come Up and Get Me, Birds, Get Got) which is not fitting with the mainstream perception of masculinity. 2) Even though, the banded uses the word "bitch" a lot, we never see an explicit comment about females, it is mostly about the domination of man, but not about the woman. this may be argued in light of the lyrics from songs like "Trash" and "Three Bedrooms in A Good Neighborhood," but I am basing my thinking mostly on the previous albums.

But even if you right, which is very likely, we still see a completely new level of masculinity being discussed in their lyrics. It is no longer "one good girl worth a thousand bitches" it is literally a soulless manifestation of sexual violence, which is still a big commentary about mainstream rap.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.