[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://fasterlouder.junkee.com/the- most-overrated-albums-of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6
File: homepage_large.909d52ed.jpg (111 KB, 319x319) Image search: [Google]
homepage_large.909d52ed.jpg
111 KB, 319x319
http://fasterlouder.junkee.com/the-most-overrated-albums-of-all-time/829875/5

What do you think /mu/? Does this list make you mad?
>>
The only mistake on that list is Pet Sounds, the others all fit.
>>
>>65134014
Pastebin nigga
>>
>>65134028
Fuck off, Exile on Main Street and London Calling are amazing. Closer also doesn't deserve to be on there
>>
>>65134014
>>65134028
>>65134053
HEY!

Overrated does not mean bad.
>>
>>65134077
Well then pretty much every acclaimed album is overrated
>>
>>65134095
Yeah, probably.
>>
>>65134077
Did I say any of those were bad?
>>
>>65134014
The only one I disagree with is since I left you and maybe pet sounds. I actually don't know that many people who remember the avalanches.
>>
>‘Jimmy Jazz’, ‘Koka Kola’, ‘The Card Cheat’, ‘Death or Glory’, ‘Four Horsemen’ and Paul Simonon’s ‘The Guns of Brixton’ should’ve been left on the cutting room floor.

I'm so fucking mad.
>>
>>65134212
but he's right
>>
I agree completely
>>
>>65134014
This is correct on most. But it is only mildly correct on Pet Sounds and London Calling.
>>
how is since i left you overrated
>>
If anything Since I Left You is UNDERrated
>>
>Kid A
>Inconsistent

Excuse me?
>>
>jimmy jazz should've been left on the cutting room floor

cut off his ears and chop off his head
>>
>>65134253
it's somehow become one of two records that anyone actually bothers to listen to in a genre that was invented and perfected by a still-obscure artist a decade and a half before the others attempted anything with it. it's like if The Monkees and The Mamas & the Papas got credit for inventing and perfecting rock and roll and no one ever listened to Chuck Berry
>>
>>65134236
But guns of brixton is probably the best song on that album
>>
>>65134293
no you fucking retard.

everyone praises SILY like it is some innovative thing like they made new music with old music, when the fact is they made old music with old music.

It's a shitty disco throwback album. the entirety of it's success hinges on the few vocal samples that make like two of the tracks catchy. It's mediocre.
>>
>>65134014
>That’s why most of the critical praise for Since I Left You focusses on process, rather than outcome.
Well he's not wrong.
>>
>>65134369
I don't praise it because it is made of samples. I praise it because it sounds good and the production is really rich and interesting. Not to mention great arrangements
>>
>>65134444
nice quads, but that doesn't change the fact that there's literally no way to have original arrangements on a sample-based album.
>>
File: image.jpg (204 KB, 1121x788) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
204 KB, 1121x788
>>65134465
Not sure if baiting or just a moron
>>
>>65134465
What?
>>
>>65134465
> great arrangements
> original arrangments
> the same thing
classic mu reasoning... you know there are actually artisitic virtues other than originality, right?
>>
>>65134512
>>65134530
arrangements are reworkings of compositions for different instrumentation or different emphasis on certain parts of the composition. sampling is a process of composition, not arrangement.
>>
>>65134369
>old music with old music

what
>>
>>65134465
Do you even know what "arrangement" means?
>>
>>65134597
see >>65134570
>>
>>65134014
>It’s a party album that exists more as a conversation piece than a soundtrack

Kill this man
>>
>>65134609
so the answer is no, then. adding introductions/bridges/codas, using harmony to emphasize different parts of a melody, restructuring the pats of a song, these are examples of working with arrangement, and they are also exactly what you do when you make music with samples. if anything sampling is a process of arrangement, rather than composition! what you are saying seems to be so wrong that I am afraid I must be misunderstanding
>>
>>65134465
you think scaruffi is great, am i right?
>>
Top 5 Overrated Albums IMHO

American Idiot
Blonde on Blonde
Appetite for Destruction
Music has the Right to Children (I love it but it's true)
Selected Ambient Works 85-92
>>
>>65134609
They're not making original arrangements of old songs, they're making new songs (by definition original), and with the use of EQ and filters to isolate elements from the sample sources they ARE changing the instrumentation and emphasis. You're just nitpicking as hard as possible
>>
File: 1444687384658.png (173 KB, 285x316) Image search: [Google]
1444687384658.png
173 KB, 285x316
>>65134369
lol there is not a single disco track sampled in that album
FAIL
>>
>It may well be one of the greatest mixes of all time, but does that make it a masterpiece?
>>
>>65134570
But that's what you do.
Sure, you can't change the "instrumentation" (not really but whatever) but you're using them to build a completely different song, changing the emphasis, the structure and everything else.
Of course you can make arrangements with samples.
>>
>>65134774
>Music has the Right to Children
fuk u
>>
>>65134444
there's nothing interesting about it you just aren't familiar with the music it's imitative of
>>
MBDTWF isn't listed, dropped
>>
>>65134858
i hope you die tonight in a violent death
>>
>>65134785
>lol there is not a single disco track sampled in that album
>FAIL
no one said there was are you retarded?

>>65134585
i see it's a autists can't understand figurative concepts cause they are literal autists thread

>>65134369
>the entirety of it's success hinges on the few vocal samples that make like two of the tracks catchy
seriously though. you take away the little voice on the title track and the vocal on frontier psychiatrist and no one would even remember this album at all because it's mostly completely forgettable mediocre shit
>>
>>65134932
it is definitely not overrated
it deserves more praise
geogaddi is probably better though
>>
Wtf, some of these "reasons" that they have for these albums make no sense at all. The Merriweather Post Pavilion on describes like the first minutes of My Girls and pretends that's the whole album.

That being said some of these are pretty valid. There are more than 10 btw just click the "previous" button.
>>
>>65134774
> american idiot
> appetite for destruction
overrated by who, rolling stone?
> music has the right to children
> saw 85-92
hard to imagine you could feel this way unless you just don't like ambient electronic music
> blonde on blonde
okay I maybe agree a little bit. this is bob dylan at the peak of his "everybody around me is an idiot, especially the women" phase and it makes for pretty vacant ugly music a lot of the time
>>
>Remarkable achievement that it is Pet Sounds isn’t even the best Beach Boys album (take your pick from Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, Surf’s Up and Friends)

wew lad
>>
>>65134774
>>65134858
I uh, actually agree. I used to like BoC fine but recent listens have not been kind to it - it's pretty damn dull and it sounds so basic, like they only had two synths. Very little in the way of interesting texture or rhythm. And on top of that it sounds so clinical, programmed and robotic. Sure, some of the melodies are nice and nostalgic, but others range from bland to mildly headache-enducing. It's like middle ground between ambient (which can be quite engaging and beautiful in even its most minimal and abstract forms) and actual interesting IDM that is not as good as either.
After looking for something along the lines of "similar mood to BoC but doesn't kinda suck" I found Mouse on Mars, I highly rec Glam and Instrumentals
>>
>>65134956
>>
File: 1461988972659.png (549 KB, 929x891) Image search: [Google]
1461988972659.png
549 KB, 929x891
>>65134956
>no one said there was are you retarded?
and so how can be it a disco throwback if there is no disco in it?
HAHAHAHAA
>>
I think Michael Jackson is the only deserving one on the list. You have to be an acclaimed worldwide by everyone from kids to your grandma to deserve the title "overrated". I've met one other person IRL who's even heard of the Avalanches.
The general public has never heard of them.

Your average Joe only knows Creep by Radiohead and says "I love Creep!", so I'd say that song is overrated.
>>
>>65135133

Theres a song sampled called do the Latin hustle, and I'd consider that kind of discoey
>>
>>65135089
because the music is disco retard.
>>
>>65135089
>>65135171
>>65135238
http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=LUID0jSh2Ic&video_start=5&audio=wpqm-05R2Jk&audio_start=54
>>
In the 12 years since Since I Left You’s release, the members of the Avalanches are responsible for little more than an annual DJ set, a few production credits and some Twitter shenanigans. This may be the most damning fact of all. Is the mythical album number two really awaiting the clearance of samples, in progress, or lost on a crashed hard-drive? Or did the band just cotton on to the fact that they struck the jackpot with a legion of post-grunge music critics looking to scratch their chins with one hand and rub their crotches with the other?

Though spectacularly crafted, the album leaves scarcely little to latch onto. It’s a party album that exists more as a conversation piece than a soundtrack; memorable for how often the host of an early ‘00s house party would tolerate the opening 10 minutes before skipping to ‘Frontier Psychiatrist’ and yanking it out of the CD player. That’s why most of the critical praise for Since I Left You focusses on process, rather than outcome. Yes, it’s an impressive feat of musical gymnastics that they were able to stitch together Tony Mottola with Main Attraction, The Duprees and Lamont Dozier (their record collection really is better than yours!), but to what end?

Since I Left You is such an original construction that it’s ended up as a kind of weird anomaly that’s had minimal bearing on the ensuing decade of dance. It may well be one of the greatest mixes of all time, but does that make it a masterpiece? – Max Easton
>>
>>65135885
>playing SILY at a party
>not playing "Live at Dominos" or "Electricity"
shiggy
diggy
>>
This list is really bizarre. The author is taking every jab he can at the artists listed but makes no effort to establish why they're overrated; its more "A list of artists I personally dislike despite what others think" and less anything substantial really.

Putting the avalanches on top really seals the deal. Yes, the production is praised but I'm pretty sure the praise ends there. As someone who likes as the avalacnhes, or as someone whos talked to a lot of avalanches fans, ive never seen them labeled as goat or even top 10. theyre a good band at best, I think their reputation is pretty spot on.
>>
File: london-calling.jpg (353 KB, 1596x1600) Image search: [Google]
london-calling.jpg
353 KB, 1596x1600
>>65134324
my man<3
have a high res textless london calling cover
>>
>>65134369
Loads of people on /mu/ and rym praise it. Most other people just think "oh frontier psychiatrist is cool" and haven't heard the rest of the album.
>>
>>65137513
>live at dominos
mein negger

>>65139067
i dont even get the hype for frontier psychiatrist. besides, the album AS AN ALBUM is amazing, i wouldn't argue that a single song really shines, it's more about how the album comes and goes
>>
>>65134369
I respect your opinion, but you're still a retard.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.