[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Truly music is the most plebeian form of art, isn't it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4
File: 1308079089001[1].png (218 KB, 600x579) Image search: [Google]
1308079089001[1].png
218 KB, 600x579
Truly music is the most plebeian form of art, isn't it?
>>
Body acceptance is worse
>>
True

>inb4 video games

That isn't art.
>>
it's easily the least progressed of all forms
>>
yes it is, but it's still amazing
>>
>>65132783
Programming is the most patrician art. But I think photography is the most pleb art. Music is somewhere in the middle.
>>
Music has been around since cavemen bashed rocks together. Every other medium is forced garbage for fedoras.
>>
>>65132846
>Programming is the most patrician art
lel
>photography is the most pleb art
true
>Music is somewhere in the middle
On average this seems fair. Music has the highest highs of any art though.
>>
>>65132783
Either this or the least progressed form.
>>
>>65132889
What are these "highs"
>>
File: ADrrakN.png (25 KB, 96x160) Image search: [Google]
ADrrakN.png
25 KB, 96x160
>music
>art
>>
>>65132783
I think music and visual art are the most creative forms of art as they require only 1 sense to perceive and are thus more open to interpretation.
>>
>>65132822
imagine of visual art was marketed like music
you'd have genres like appletree
just loads of the same fucking picture of different apple trees

that's what most music is actually like, just these tiny deviations

like it's considered really daring to have an apple tree with strawberries growing under it
>>
>>65132783
ummm we rely how fucking heavily on our sense of sight? Music is one of few artforms that involves no sight, and forces us to draw inferences from the material and make sense of it however we see fit.

Pop music is a pretty plebeian form of art because you literally can't qualify if you don't follow the rules and obey every trope. But music in general, with all its branches, is about a Patrish an artform as you can get.
>>
I think its fucking idiotic and cancerous to art as a whole to rank certain arts over the others.
>>
>>65133157
On 4chan you can only think in memes
>>
>>65132947
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrb0dHKJBR4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3i3uckYcfY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ieDQJBS-U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnO41-rKUsc
>>
art is inherently plebeian
>>
Music is literally the most patrician form of art.
>>
>>65134070
really this or caring about the concept of "art"
>>
>>65132846
I'm a programmer and music producer. Does that lower or raise my patrician score?
>>
What the fuck are you all even discussing about ? The point of this thread doesnt even make sense.

Just because Music is more accessible and some bullshit selfcalled artist are popular doesnt make it any pleb. Mastering music takes a shit load of skill and some tunes are fucking mind blowing.

Music is just emotionally far more reachable and way more accessible, due to its over mediatization. Now that you know that, go on and use this fucking board to discuss about relevant and interesting subject.
>>
>>65132783
That'd be cinema.
>>
I'd say it goes

>Literature
>Media/visual (painting, sculpture, ect.)
>Film
>Music
>Coreography/dance
>Photography
>Things that are creative but not really art (pottery, furniture, architecture, product design, cooking, fashion, vidya, acting, ect)

I suppose a lot of stuff i the last group could be considered combinations of art, like video games include writing, visuals, directing, acting and so on
>>
>>65134393
>>Things that are creative but not really art
Those are called crafts, anon.
>>
I think in any art form there is such a wide range, so you simply can't judge one against the other. If you only watch action flicks you could easily assume cinema is a low art, the same goes for those who only listen to popular music.
>>
Music is the only art form I enjoy, basically. I've tried to get into literature in the past but the enjoyment is so fleeting. Apparently that changes once you've experienced life more and can relate better.
>>
>>65134393
>film over music
kys
>>
>>65134351
THIS. FUCKING THIS.
Both Music and Cinema can be accessible to normies, but music has an historical background way more considerable than Cinema, which is basically born as plebeian entertainment.
>>
File: volodya.jpg (8 KB, 246x205) Image search: [Google]
volodya.jpg
8 KB, 246x205
>>65134487
>relate
pleb
>>
>>65134461
kys
>>
>>65134843
What else would explain it, then?
>>
>>65134393
>Has pottery listened under not art
>sculpture listed under art

kill yourself desu
>>
>>65134985
One evening at a remote provincial college through which I happened to be jogging on a protracted lecture tour, I suggested a little quiz—ten definitions of a reader, and from these ten the students had to choose four definitions that would combine to make a good reader. I have mislaid the list, but as far as I remember the definitions went something like this. Select four answers to the question what should a reader be to be a good reader:

1. The reader should belong to a book club.
2. The reader should identify himself or herself with the hero or heroine.
3. The reader should concentrate on the social-economic angle.
4. The reader should prefer a story with action and dialogue to one with none.
5. The reader should have seen the book in a movie.
6. The reader should be a budding author.
7. The reader should have imagination.
8. The reader should have memory.
9. The reader should have a dictionary.
10. The reader should have some artistic sense.

The students leaned heavily on emotional identification, action, and the social-economic or historical angle. Of course, as you have guessed, the good reader is one who has imagination, memory, a dictionary, and some artistic sense--which sense I propose to develop in myself and in others whenever I have the chance.
>>
>>65132889
As a photographer by trade you are 100% right. The amount of rich girls who figured out bokeh truly lowers us to plebe status.
>>
>>65132796
>lol random XD
>>
Rating anything above music on a music board is just shitposting
>>
>>65137945
wrong
>>
Here's the actual scale:

Performing arts (art music, opera, dance)
Literature

[Accessibility powergap]

Painting
Visual media (including art films)
Recorded music
Crafts
Video games
>>
Food preparation is the most patrician form of art, when you think about it.

>Practiced by everyone (yes, LITERALLY everyone)
>Reflects cultural environments relating to food availability and cultural taboos/preferences (such as Jews avoiding pigs)
>Most subjective art, being based entirely off preference
>Everyone does it, thus, there is more pressure for the top of the line to perform best in creation
>Gives ties to ancestors through family recipes and orally passed down traditional foods
>Has existed and developed since the birth of consciousness
>>
>>65138675
what about folk music
>>
Musical taste is extremely abstract. Most popular songs are easily accessible to most people's ears, but once you get into post-tonal works people stop listening.
>>
>>65137179
>lol can't handle these curves XD
>>
>>65139451
>lol random XD
>>
>>65136353
Don't worry, they'll never beat you out at being a tsukkomi.

You see, the original Japanese word from which we get Bokeh, 暈け meaning unsharpness, is pronounced identically to a different word ボケ; both are romanised to Boke.
The latter Boke could be translated as fool, and is one half of a popular form of Japanese stage comedy known as manzai. The other half, 突っ込み, lit. "one who butts in", romanised Tsukkomi, responds to the Boke's foolishness with sarcastic comments and reprimands, sometimes striking them with a paper fan or similar object. There is a strong resemblance to the traditional pairing of the Funny Man and Straight Man in Western comedy.
In this case, your initial comment both embodied the sarcastic wit of the Tsukkomi and referenced the word Bokeh, which forms a pun in its original language.
Having now understood the joke, you may proceed to laugh at it.
What I'm trying to say is that humour is the highest form of art.
>>
You guys aren't as deep as you think you are.
>>
File: wXGLUYU.gif (916 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
wXGLUYU.gif
916 KB, 500x281
>>65134461
>le reply to everyone in le thread
>>
>>65134070
>>65134126

Really it's the anonymous discussion about it on the internet that is plebian. There is such thing as good non "plebian" art. Good art illustrates the zeitgeist of an era, and comments or challenges the powers that be.

Not to say that there isn't art that pacifies and entertains the plebs, which is bad art.
>in b4 art is merely what you as an individual chooses to make of it
>>
>>65140544
fuck, a typo, there goes my whole argument
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.