[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is he's a rebel the best pop song of the early 60s?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (371 KB, 1600x1280) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
371 KB, 1600x1280
is he's a rebel the best pop song of the early 60s?
>>
>>65131914
Be My Baby is.
He's A Rebel is good though.
>>
>>65131914
Those are ugly objects
>>
Christgau thought Phil Spector was a negative force on popular music, although I'm not exactly sure why.
>>
>>65133200
He set too high of a standard, making it almost borderline unfair for people to make pop music of that caliber.
>>
Those girl groups from the early 60s were really, really, really annoying.
>>
>>65133236
Johnny Franz' productions for Dusty Springfield and especially The Walker Brothers were very similar to what Spector was doing.
>>
>>65133200
That's because Spector is the guy who started the trend of super-slick, overproduced, high budget studio confections. You see, Xgau has always been of the mentality that music should be ultra back-to-basics rawk from the streets or from NYC.
>>
>>65133287
The Walker Brothers were ok. I think Brian overall is a better supporting argument from my post above and your similarities, but it was on some pupil besting the sensei shit and Dusty Springfield was ruined by that very production, a lot of her songs just sound really dry and uninspired.
>>
>>65133309
Any producers you'd recommend that jumped on the "Wall of Sound" bandwagon, aside from Brian Wilson of course?
>>
File: shelovesyou.jpg (53 KB, 494x498) Image search: [Google]
shelovesyou.jpg
53 KB, 494x498
>>65131914
>>
>>65133309
You're wrong for his infatuation of D'Angelo alone, Christgau wants things to be forward thinking but he wants the forward thinking in the right places and as we all know, rawk from the streets is a backward motion.
>>
Is Give Him a Great Big Kiss early 60s, or is that already mid 60s? If the latter, then I agree with you on He's a Rebel
>>
>>65133354
Yeah I know what you mean. I wish Tina Turner's music kept the whole wall of sound style after the River Deep Mountain High album because she was fucking perfect for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx2BoL07HJ0

Know anything similar to this by the way? Mindblowing song.
>>
>>65133393
That was 1964 so it counts
>>
>>65133459
Okay, because that one blows any of Spector's productions out of the water. It's been stuck in my head since I first heard it a couple years ago.
>>
>>65133426
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESx1Fi9MNtw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS9mE0mhURM

These two might knock you out as well but what tripped me up was the similarities, I just think you might have a positive reaction to the two.
>>
>>65133564
Thanks bud.

Hey, probably a stupid question but what genre of music should I be listening to if I absolutely adore the finger snaps on River Deep Mountain High? Sinatra or something? I really have no idea.
>>
>>65133617
I'd recommend a lot of snappy (pun intended) ragtime stuff like Fats Waller, you'd love Patsy Cline and be sure to check out Chet Baker Sings.
>>
File: page25.jpg (78 KB, 484x893) Image search: [Google]
page25.jpg
78 KB, 484x893
Be My Baby and Then He Kissed me are better imo, and if you go into French shit then France Gall blows it all out the water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJAYeX39sDY
>>
>>65133658
Thanks man, anything else?
>>
>>65133730
The Ink Spots doing uptempo stuff
Early Tony Bennett
Bobby Darin
Eamon (He has a song called I Love Them Hoes which is so GOAT)
I think you'd also appreciate T.Rex and maybe Chris Isaak
>>
>>65133766
You're awesome dude! Last question though, know anymore bombastic pop songs like RVMH?
>>
>>65133828
*RDMH
oops
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.