[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
name a better currently succesful rock band in 2016: > protip:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 5
File: 21p-864x474.jpg (144 KB, 864x474) Image search: [Google]
21p-864x474.jpg
144 KB, 864x474
name a better currently succesful rock band in 2016: > protip: you can't
>>
>>65130896
dead grips
>>
>>65130907
>rock band
>succesful
>>
>finger on the trigger
>killer of a nigger
>now I've got some some charges to face
>'cause I'm 21 Pilots and this is Blurryface
Damn... do they deserve it?
>>
>>65130896
This makes three. You've made three Twenty One Pilots threads so far.
>>
>>65130948
Today.
So far, today.
>>
the transitions in their music is phenomenal, they are very great
>>
>twenty one pilots
>rock band
>>
>flaming lips
>radiohead
>nickelback
>>
>>65130948
>implying I'm not somebody else who just happens to share a widely spread opinion in music
Are you living under a rock? There's a reason they're topping the billboard charts
>>
>>65130997
Bc people who listen to them enough to get them on the charts are dum
>>
WHY DO THESE THREADS KEEP POPPING UP? WHAT IS GOING ON? AM I GETTING MEMED ON? HELP!!!!!
>>
>>65131042
bc 21pots are finally getting the recognition they deserve
>>
be honest their music is great if it wasn't for the tats, piercings and hair you'd love them as much as you love death grips
>>
I have no idea what Twenty One Pilots sounds like, and I have no intention of finding out.
>>
>>65131085
and i care what you think :(
>>
>>65131085
Pop/Synth-pop with occasional ukulele/guitar or rapping instead of singing. MEH production.
>>
>>65131085
Imagine if Macklemore teamed up with the keyboards guy from Motion City Soundtrack
>>
>>65131114
DO DA GOO DOLE DAYZ
>>
>>65131074

HELP! I DON'T GET WHAT IS GOING ON. ARE YOU MEMING? DON'T DO THIS TO ME PLS
>>
are these dudes similar to arctic monkeys?
>>
>>65131178
Nah, think upbeat sounding Owl City with rap about mental health issues and struggling to fit in
>>
>>65130997
not all 7th grade epic philosophic intellectuals wear capes
>>
>>65131214
oh so in other words, utter shite
>>
I don't get why /mu/ is so violently against anything that's not /bleep/ or rock or the exact same stuff they post every day
There's more music than just the obscure weird shit that you pretend to like...
21P are pretty good
>>
>>65131237
lmao wtf?
im smoking weed with my gf and this line
this fucking line
it makes no sense to me i dont get it
but it cracks me the fuck up
|-/
>>
>>65131141
that could be ok though
>>
>>65131286
If that's what you wanna take away from what I said then go for it, not gonna try and force my taste onto you bc it's obviously a waste of time
Enjoy whatever music you enjoy, nobody is forcing you to listen to them, just don't criticise music you haven't listened to bc that's just immature
>>
>>65131289
I'm totally aware there's good music outside of /mu/ essentials. TOP are not good, though. They have weak lyrics that are usually crammed in to the melodies for a jarring experience

>Out of student loans and treehouse homes we all would take the latter
Seriously, where do I start with this? That's like saying "I'd rather eat a donut than be dunked in acid." This isn't introspective or emotional, and the way it's delivered is so contrary to the actual melody that it ends up jagged and forced.
>>
>>65131168
>not liking 21 pilots in the 21st century
>>
>>65131295
>im smoking weed with my gf
No. Nobody smokes weed with their gf and then goes to fucking /mu/.
>>
>>65131361
>Nobody smokes weed with their gf and then goes to fucking /mu/.
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>65131344

WHY ARE YOU THIS MEAN TO ME?!
>>
Arctic Monkeys
>>
>>65131419
>Arctic Monkeys
what's with /mu/ and attracting the shittiest of trolls lately?
>>
the shitposting has gone so far that some plebs in here are actually starting to listen to this shit
>>
>>65131340
It fits with the song tho, he's growing up and obviously doesn't want to. The target audience of their music are the people who are having to deal with the reality of growing up, he's not delivering it in a vague way to make you think deeply about it because that's not always what's needed.
He misses when he was a child and didn't have any concerns, he misses not having to worry about finding money to pay for the education that's not exactly providing the job opportunities he was expecting.
We're told that we'll figure everything out when we grow up and all he's saying is that it's a lie "I was told that all my fears would shrink," and things just become worse because there's more expected from you because you're suddenly an adult "but now I'm insecure and I care what people think". Children don't deal with rejection and being judged in the way adults do and he's missing the freedom of self that children posses.
>>
>>65130926
they're rap rock at times
they're more successful than most bands
>>
>>65131329
You...you unironically think Top's lyricism is good?
>>
>>65131444
There's threads about the same shit everyday, /mu/ saying the music is good or bad doesn't make it so bc music is art and art is subjective. Saying that other than the 20-40 artists posted on here (excluding SoundCloud and whatever) that all music is not very good is a very stupid thing to do.
21P make nice music, it might not be delivered how you want it to be, or it might not be relatable to you but the music isn't necessarily for you.
The people who relate to the lyrics enjoy it, which is what music is about(not some stupid statement trying to distance yourself from everyone else by having "superior" taste"
>>
>>65131558

But that sort of thing has been repeated until it became a cliche. It's a truth but the kind of truth a 6th grader would consider "deep" or "meaningful". There have been loads of other musicians who said the same thing in a more elaborated manner and quite frankly, better. Regurgitating this sort of theme at this point is nothing more than shallow. Besides that the music itself is bland and uninspired pop rap that disguises itself as "le epic indie music XDDD :DD" and is marketed towards an angsty teen crowd.
>>
>>65131603
I enjoy the music, they're not the greatest band ever but they're nowhere near as bad as people make them out to be.
>>
>>65131286
Yep. Bland production, subpar singing, etc etc
>>
>>65131446
Man, I've listened to them since WPSAMTWIN and AM was a good album.

Not their best, but certainly not the worst. Why does liking them nowadays equate you to a troll?

Oh right, they got 'mainstream'. Guess i have to go back to my DGrips
>>
>>65131657
this tbqf&hm80eys
>>
holy shit that's what they look like. i think i'm gonna be sick
>>
>>65131654
Elaborate/complex≠good all the time, sometimes simple is best.
And regurgitation of lyrics and themes is all /mu/ likes, there's nothing spectacular about half the stuff this board is into.
It's not disguised as anything, they make the music they enjoy making and have done so the entirety of their existence. You're trying to project the "le epic indie music" onto them when it's not there at all.
The angsty teen crowd is the same crowd that listens to death grips and tame impala, it's the exact same crowd that thinks listening to radiohead instead of Kanye makes you have better taste. It's the exact same crowd that thinks listening to obscure music makes it better music.
>>
>>65130896
Literally any.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-24-18-28-20.png (338 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-24-18-28-20.png
338 KB, 1080x1920
>>65131621
KFC Twigs deleted post btw
>>
>>65131751
>they make the music they enjoy making and have done so the entirety of their existence.

And so do many, many other groups. That doesn't make them interesting or talented in the slightest. It also doesn't make them worthy of this much shitposting, I can't tell if it's just being done to make impressionable faggots start listening to more generic shit or what.
>>
A lot of the hate towards them stems from the fact that a large majority of tumblr likes them, but a large majority of tumblr likes the exact same music as /mu/.
4chan and tumblr are basically the same place, you're not any different to them
>>
>>65131796
The band's that get spammed on here make generic music, it's nothing special at all.
Listening to popular music isn't a bad thing my guy, it's not gonna lessen you as an individual because you can bop along to some T Swift.
There's legitimately nothing wrong with not listening to obscure music just because it's obscure, seeing posts about "wanting to get into x genre" really highlights the problem, you listen to music that you enjoy and look for other things you enjoy. If you don't like it then move on, don't force yourself to listen to harsh noise just because it's "patrician"
>>
>>65131886
Except nothing else is being spammed this much, and that which almost is holds more artistic merit than this group does (And no, that's not subjective).

>Listening to popular music isn't a bad thing my guy
I didn't say it was.

>There's legitimately nothing wrong with not listening to obscure music just because it's obscure
I didn't say there was.

It seems pretty apparent that you're just waffling on about nothing when the entire point of my response was to let you know that a band with this little originality or uniqueness has no place having 4 or so shitpost threads up at once.
>>
>>65131751

>Elaborate/complex≠good all the time, sometimes simple is best.

Read again. I didn't imply the contrary.

> And regurgitation of lyrics and themes is all /mu/ likes

Who cares what /mu/ likes? Besides that twenty one pilots is an especially bad case when it comes to regurgitating themes.

> there's nothing spectacular about half the stuff this board is into.

But nothing is as bland as twenty one pilots in my opinion.

> It's not disguised as anything, they make the music they enjoy making and have done so the entirety of their existence.

I didn't imply that it was their intention to disguise the music, I implied that it is disguised by the fans themselves.

> they make the music they enjoy making and have done so the entirety of their existence.

That's fine, many other musicians do the same. Like you'll surely notice I didn't deny that.

> The angsty teen crowd is the same crowd that listens to death grips and tame impala

I wouldn't throw them into the same box to be honest. Just compare the crowds. I can't say much about tame impala since I don't care much about them but you'll find a lot of people between 18-24 years when you visit a Death Grips concert. Almost none of them are there because of teen age angst themes, it's mostly a case of experiencing the aggression and empowerment of the music itself. That's also a major difference I would list thematically, while twenty one pilots is aimed at teenage angst and with that to a degree self pitying DG is aimed at said empowerment. That's not to say the lyrics aren't cringeworthy at times but that isn't the point of the discussion.
>>
>>65131959
>more artistic merit
Because more people want to lie to themselves about The Beach Boys being better than anything released today? It's all subjective
>>65131969
How are they a particularly bad case? What exactly makes the themes used in their music worse than the repetitive nature of "I hate my hometown ugggh" pop punk bands?
"Besides that the music itself is bland and uninspired pop rap that disguises itself as "le epic indie music XDDD :DD"" you stated that the music was disguising itself
The majority of death grips fans are the kids stuck in the "mainstream sucks look at me I'm different" crowd, which is the same crowd who listen to 21P. At what point do 21P self pity? A constant part of their music is dealing with your issues and moving past them to be a better person.
You're entitled to dislike whatever you want, but throwing out buzzwords like bland and shit doesn't mean anything if you just vaguely allude to the reasons you think that
>>
File: 1463812243242.jpg (60 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1463812243242.jpg
60 KB, 500x500
ITT: Self-righteous 21 teen(s) (most likely just one buttburned op) defend their favorite pop band by saying "dood just becuz it's mainstreem duzzunt mean it's bad lol, you're all phonies!!!11!"

>>65131774
Had the right idea.
>>
>>65132167
>It's all subjective
This is wrong, the artistic quality and complexity of music is an objective quality. How you perceive and react to these qualities is subjective.

>people want to lie to themselves about The Beach Boys being better than anything released today?
Nice generalization, though you would be correct in saying the Beach Boys put out music leagues ahead of 21P.
>>
>>65132214
Beach Boys, Radiohead, etc. are pretty mainstream so they're bad too
Kk gg senpai
>>
>>65130896
Weezer
>>
>>65132337
Loooooooool artistic quality is still subjective which is why people can say that modern art isn't art, try again
Keep circlejerking to the same shit bc it's all you're gonna do anyway
Leagues ahead how? Because you grew up listening to it with your dad? Y'know those 14 year old girls who sigh dramatically and wish they'd been born in a different time? That's you
>>
File: 1462586105085.jpg (15 KB, 287x277) Image search: [Google]
1462586105085.jpg
15 KB, 287x277
>>65132339
> dat strawman
But please, continue to bait everyone in this thread by completely ignoring the focal points of everyone's arguments.
>>
>>65132393
I don't even enjoy the Beach Boys lmao.

I can hardly tell if you're just thick or b8ing any more. Keep acting as though your bland, menstrual band is good if you like though, I'm sure the rest of the 14 year olds will be able to relate with you.

Wait! Here's a thought, maybe you'd be better discussing it in a hugbox with them? I'm sure there's a facebook group you can join where you can discuss the good old days, right?

>>65132439
Just bail with me anon, I don't know how I've managed to get caught up arguing with a retard for this long. Making myself look bad desu
>>
>>65132439
So him mocking people who enjoy mainstream music isn't a strawman but me doing the same thing is? Does that even make sense to you?
The screenshot stated that the only good music is music that gets constantly posted on /mu/ so idk senpai
>>
>>65131774
bb pls
>>
>>65132465
And you can keep acting as if your harsh noise is good, we'll all go about our lives only I'll know I'm not listening to music because it's obscure and not mainstream
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.