[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Radiohead, the most hyped and probably the most over-rated band
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7
File: ruffy.jpg (21 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
ruffy.jpg
21 KB, 300x300
Radiohead, the most hyped and probably the most over-rated band of the decade, upped the ante for studio trickery. They had begun as third-rate disciples of the Smiths, and albums such as Pablo Honey (1993) and The Bends (1995) that were cauldrons of Brit-pop cliches. Then OK Computer (1997) happened and the word "chic" took on a new meaning. The album was a masterpiece of faux avantgarde (of pretending to be avantgarde while playing mellow pop music). It was, more properly, a new link in the chain of production artifices that changed the way pop music "sounds": the Beatles' Sgt Pepper, Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon, Fleetwood Mac's Tusk, Michael Jackson's Thriller. Despite the massive doses of magniloquent epos a` la U2 and of facile pathos a` la David Bowie, the album's mannerism led to the same excesses that detracted from late Pink Floyd's albums (lush textures, languid melodies, drowsy chanting). Since thee production aspects of music were beginning to prevail over the music itself, it was just about natural to make them "the" music. The sound of Kid A (2000) had decomposed and absorbed countless new perfumes, like a carcass in the woods. All sounds were processed and mixed, including the vocals. Radiohead moved as close to electronica as possible without actually endorsing it. Radiohead became masters of the artificial, masters of minimizing the emotional content of very complex structures. Amnesiac (2001) replaced "music" with a barrage of semi-mechanical loops, warped instruments and digital noises, while bending Thom Yorke's baritone to a subhuman register and stranding it in the midst of hostile arrangements, sounding more and more like an alienated psychopath. Their limit was that they were more form than content, more "hype" than message, more nothing than everything.
>>
Ok
>>
>>65128058
scaruffi really hates living.
I can´t take his opinion seriously after his reviews of korn albums. How can he like all that meme nu metal?
Complete fucking retard pedophile.
>>
>>65128058
He's right you know.
>>
Redditohead BTFO.
>>
>taking this high-functioning contrarian autist seriously
The man has a "Wall of Fame" for all of his friends.
http://www.scaruffi.com/friends/sofiabd08/
>>
>>65128058
Thanks for reminding me he's the most useless and rightfully ignored music critic of all time.
>>
>>65128266
>Photo album of diverse groups of people having fun and playing music as At a pool party
>High-functioning autism
You are the autist.
>>
>>65128435
>having fun
>shiggy24.png
>>
>>65128058
I know scaruffi is a douche but the description for Kid A and Amnesiac is some top tier descriptive writing.
>>
>>65128788
true
>>
this is coming from a guy that thinks king crimson is good
>>
>Scruff shits on Beatles
>copypasta that the 2hip drones love

>shits on Radiohead
>what a hack

Poetry
>>
hahaha radio cuck btfo
>>
>>65128266
he probably made this before myspace or facebook was a thing and didn't bother moving it somewhere else
>>
>>65129034
it is, though
>>
>>65129034
But it is...
>>
>>65128266
go to his personal poetry page for a couple laughs.

>You/ Part 1

"I keep writing poems to you
in a language that i don't understand
not knowing what i wrote, nor why;
but knowing that you can read them
and noone else can; and that you
know why; and that you will reply,
in the same alien language, for me
to marvel at the enigmatic signs
and to continue walking and writing."

>man has the audacity to shit on the beatles
>writes this.
>>
>Taking the opinion of a man who thinks Pablo Honey is as good as Kid A seriously
>>
>>65129599
It's not a matter of "it's as good as," it's a matter of that it's equally mediocre and unimportant.
>>
>>65129852
He rated Pablo Honey 6.5. He literally thinks that trash like PH is decent, even almost good.
>>
>>65128435
>having fun with a negative old piece of shit that hates everything.
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 474x356) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 474x356
>>65129599
>Pablo Honey
>Bad

Sick of this fucking meme
>>
>>65131126
>Pablo Honey being good.
>TKOL being good.

What happened to this fandom? Have you guys forgotten what shit smells like?
>>
File: wp_ss_20160524_0002.png (551 KB, 635x657) Image search: [Google]
wp_ss_20160524_0002.png
551 KB, 635x657
>>65130932
Negative? He's super happy! Haha, look at him go CLAP CLAP!
>>
>>65131264
Pablo Honey is mediocre, and TKOL is fantastic.
>>
But then he goes on to give OK Computer and Amnesiac 7/10s, which is high by his standards
>>
>>65131315
TKOL
>Bloom is great
>Magpie is underwhelming on repeat listens
>Little by Little is the best song on TKOL
>Feral stretches on a bit, but is an engaging instrumental
>Lotus Flower is a fine pop song
>Codex is just as awful as the last third of Moon child from ITCOTCK, it's waaaaayyyyy too slow.
>Ghost is just bad, I'm sorry but it plods and prods until the ending resolve, but the ending resolve is rather pretty and fulfilling.
>Separator is a nice build, but the song doesn't really get going until the guitar kicks in after a minute or two. I wish the drums in the first half were more engaging or that they added another track in the first minute to keep the build flowing.

Overall it's okay. There are MUCH better albums out there.
>>
>>65129381
I like the opening lines of that

It's clunky but it's honest. Feels like Daniel Johnston
>>
>>65131264
tkol is great, I feel sorry for people who didn't get it.
>>
>>65131504
I do agree with you on codex. I like to replace it with staircase.
>>
>>65131585
I got it.

I also got much better CDs in my collection, so it's not worth pulling out TKOL most of the time.
>>
File: image.jpg (67 KB, 800x778) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67 KB, 800x778
>>65131645
>CDs
>>
I recently listened to Kid A properly for the first time, I love Everything In Its Right Place, Optimistic and Limbo. My only gripe with it is that it sounds really over-produced, so many added effects that i don't find necessary
>>
>>65131667
underrated
>>
>>65131754
>so many added effects that i don't find necessary
When would you consider them "necessary" then?
>>
>>65131846
When they aren't used
>>
OK Computer & "masterpiece of faux avantgarde".

First of all avant-garde wasn't the goal & yet it reached climax.
>>
>>65128058
>thinks Korn Fear Factory and Dream Theater re better than Radiohead

Why do we take him seriously again
>>
School me. Does he have anything on Wesley Willis?
>>
>>65128266
How does that make anything in the OP untrue?
>>
>>65131903
That's correct though
>>
>>65131895
It was a straight forward rock album influenced by the increasing tech age & 'Merica's influence.

Avantgarde?
>>
>>65131925
scruffy is probably way too pretentious and image conscious to allow himself to enjoy something like wesley willis
>>
Scaruffi is very mean. He thinks musicians aren't human beings that don't react to the shit he talks about them. He's jealous he doesn't have Yorke's talent.
>>
>>65130932
how is he negative? he likes music, but not the trash you listen to
>>
>>65132531
>2016
>thinking Scaruffi has good taste
>>
>>65132937
He does, at least it's better than yours
>>
who here /hypefornewreviews/
>>
>>65133211
if you aren't Scaruffi, you are sad
>>
>>65133227
Can't wait until he triggers a third of this board
>>
>>65131903
>>65131945
Korn>Radiohead>Fear Factory>Dream Theater
>>
File: OKC 8.png (43 KB, 917x315) Image search: [Google]
OKC 8.png
43 KB, 917x315
>>65128058
>>65131384
Threadly reminder that Scaruffi just nerfs Radiohead since they’re critically acclaimed

>>65128266
How the fuck does he have the time and sanity to be a millionaire programmer, a cultural autist, a world traveller and still have a functioning social life?

Memes asides, he’s quite outstanding.
>>
>>65134352
>opinions aren't allowed to change
>>
>>65134352

he did the same thing with Nirvana, if you check that archive site Nevermind used to be an 8/10 but now it's a 7/10. there's a lot of interesting changes he made over all the time he's had his site. another example is that TMR used to be a 9 instead of a 9.5, and his original greatest rock albums was WAAAY different, for example it had Faust IV instead of Faust self-titled, and it even included Daydream Nation in the top 20.

I honestly think Scaruffi is a fascinating person and he has certainly introduced me to a lot of music I don't think I would have otherwise found. I don't know how he does it desu
>>
File: cur.png (44 KB, 808x389) Image search: [Google]
cur.png
44 KB, 808x389
oh well
>>
So. Nothing on Wesley then?

Hack.
>>
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/rainnyday/scaruffis_fallen_8s/

cool list
>>
>>65134352
Nice try, it used to be a 6, not an 8
>>
>>65135535
>Those two BTFO'd Lisa Germano albums
>still the highest rated singer-songwriter of the 90's, if not overall

Is there one for his risen 8's?
>>
>>65131126
TKOL is good, you just have shit taste
>>
>>65131754
it really requires several listens to get into, so its good that you do like some of the tracks at first
>>
>LUSTY
>NEGRO
>ATTITUDES
>>
File: KID Black Parade.png (5 KB, 543x33) Image search: [Google]
KID Black Parade.png
5 KB, 543x33
>>65129599
>Taking the opinion of a pedophile who thinks The Black Parade is intellectually and creatively equivalent to KID A
>>
>>65131986
Radiohead always had avantgarde inclinations and influences without actually being avant-garde.

His criticism is correct.
>>
>>65135535

thanks for this
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.