[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Modest Mouse is the worst band I've ever heard. It is the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 8
File: modestmouse.jpg (39 KB, 565x239) Image search: [Google]
modestmouse.jpg
39 KB, 565x239
Modest Mouse is the worst band I've ever heard.

It is the musical incarnation of reddit the website. It's what happens when you get a bunch of white early 20 somethings with fragile egos and superiority complexes but no redeeming qualities to back it up so they go out of their way to be different but are too uninteresting, juvenile and cowardly to do it in any way than the laziest and most uninteresting way possible.

It desperately wants to be artsy but thinks emotions are gay and for people that "try too hard" so it makes completely ambiguous "emotive" statements that couldn't possibly offend anyone or get across anything. The song Float On is the astutely written tale about a man who backs his car into a cop car, but the cop just drives away. And who proceeds to bad mouth his friend, but who just laughs it off.
"We'll all float on" chimes the chorus. Even if things end up a bit too heavy. What exactly that's supposed to represent basically just left up to ambiguity. For good measure the vocalist has loud obnoxious voice cracks at the beginning of every line for absolutely no purpose. Because that gives it character.

This is music for profound revolutionary thinkers of the 21st century that hate bad parking. And poor customer service. And people that tell everyone about their kids. And corruption. They can never seem to explain why these are bad things, how they got there to begin with or how to rectify the issue. They just know these are bad things and they get an ego boost from feeling like they're above someone or something.

The album titles alone make me groan. "Strangers to Ourselves", "Good News for People who Love Bad News", "The Lonesome Crowded West". It speaks volumes about what these band members have to say which is absolutely nothing about anything.

It is just so bad. Saying the name of this band makes my penis retract. It is like 8th grade syndrome the band and it's no wonder why reddit loves it so much. Absolutely god awful.
>>
actually they're pretty good so suck my cock OP
>>
>>65124974
>Modest mouse thinks emotions are gay
They're literally one of the most emotionally intense indie rock bands I've heard
>>
>>65124991
What are they emotional about?

Tell me about the personable everyman struggles of modest mouse. Did he get a parking ticket? Did he get drunk and think about things he wish he'd done in the past? Did his girlfriend leave him for someone that isn't a whiny idiot?
>>
>>65125068
>I haven't listened to the band I'm talking shit about
I'm mad at myself for taking this bait
>>
>>65125128
I can call your post bait too. That isn't an argument.

You're about the kind of person I'd expect to be a fan of this band.
>>
This is true.
Neil Cicierega proved it by combining Float On with All-Star.
>>
>>65125068
>listens to "Float On" once
>>
>>65125184
I've listened to 3 of their albums. I really don't want to listen to the rest.
>>
>>65125211
their first album is their best. it's not one of the ones you named
>>
>>65125306
>This is a long drive...
btw. RYM lists several others before that one but it's considered their first
>>
>>65125306
Is it different enough to be enjoyable by my standards? They seem pretty monotonous.
>>
They're not bad, but they're not really that great either. I'd rank them alongside the likes of Foo Fighters and other MOR bands. They just don't seem to offer much to me but they're pleasant enough to listen to.
>>
>>65124974
name 33 bands you like
>>
>>65125317
I don't like Good News For People... or their other 00s ones as much. If you didn't like LCW then you might not like it.

Do you like other indie rock bands
>>
>>65125334
Not particularly. It's got its place though.

If it's going to be underwhelming it should be sobering or something.
>>
>>65125355
Listen to Dramamine. If you don't like it then I wouldn't bother with the album. its okay though, maybe try Built To Spill, if you havent yet
>>
File: download (5).png (4 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
download (5).png
4 KB, 259x194
>>
>>65125391
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb1RlzyWHm4
>>
>>65125332
Suicide
The fall
The damned
Captain beef heart
The Levet underground
Joy division
The Brian Jonestown massacre
The white stripes
My bloody valentine
The ramones
The New York dolls
Television
Beach house
Stereo lab
Them
The rolling stones(with Brian jones)
Psychic tv
Death in June
Flat duo jets
The gories
Thin lizzy
The stooges
T. rex
Bauhaus
Can
Crass
Amon dual
Black lips
The monks
Sleaford mods
Bob Willis and the Texas playboys
Grizzly bear(yellow house and veckatimist)
The yeah yeah yeahs
Os mutantes
Frankie lymon and the teenagers
Te flaming grooves
Spaceman 3
The pixies
The five blind boys of Alabama

Just of the top of my head, I could get into way more if I just went through my record collection, or if I included solo artists/pre 50s artists/more foreign artists....
>>
>>65125156
Nah his arguement is valid man. You literally referenced their most popular song and didn't know shit about their first album. I'm really a big fan but I remember reading te wiki long ago an it seems like the singer is from some blue collar/trailer park shit tryin to make some country/dirt/art indie. That being said you're right that a lot of their music is shit
>>
>>65125321
>foo fighters
>enjoyable
How did /mu/ get this bad???
>>
>>65125439
Nah Issaquah is very suburban but he just loved writing about the midwest
>>
>>65125439
*not a big fan
>>
>Float On is their only song
This Is A Long Drive and The Lonesome Crowded West are emotionally charged albums m8. Don't take their hit single as everything MM represents.
>>
>>65125417
>death in june
And into the trash bin you go
>>
>>65125496
Oh please 95% of their songs are just like that and the average modest mouse fan would agree it's a good representation of their music
>>
>>65125512
float on isnt like anything on the 2 albums. he doesn't shout on it, its poppy as fuck, and it has backing vocals
>>
>>65125497
Haha aight man so you like all that other music but not death in June? What don't you like about them? I love when people don't like music I like
>>
>>65125512
musically, yeah i guess. lyrically, fuck no.
>>
>>65125512
Well the amount of replies in this thread you got about how it's not like their other dogs would seem to me to suggest that objectively speaking most of their fans don't think it's a good representation of their music
>>
>>65125444
When dickheads with reading comprehension like yours arrived.
>>
>>65125444
Fuck you save grohl is a genius and seems like a really cool guy
>>
>>65125528
It's a mild variation on the formula of acoustic guitar backed early 2000s liberal art student whinefest. It's pretty similar and it still sucks.
>>
>>65125417
>Grizzly Bear
holy shit and you have the tenacity to talk shit about MM?
>>
File: 1414864302237.jpg (31 KB, 251x242) Image search: [Google]
1414864302237.jpg
31 KB, 251x242
>>65125559
>grohl is a genius
>>
>>65125557
You basically said foos were ok, neither good or bad, just boring but "pleasant enough to listen to"

I couldn't disagree more, te foo fighters are abrasively shitty pop garbage and I'd rather listen to metal machine music or the sound of my refrigerator amplified
>>
>>65125576
hey man dont talk shit about my bloody valentine
>>
If you dislike the music you dislike the music, there's nothing else to really do about that (I don't think it's that unoriginal for the time but I get what you're saying.)

In terms of lyricism, I don't think Isaac Brock is pretentious or affecting. I don't think he tries to be more than what he is. He is expressing himself as a 20 something white male living in suburbia, which is fine. I still think a lot of his lyrics really capture the melancholy/troubles that he deals with in a succinct, effective, and yet original way.

For instance in "Polar Opposites" he says "I'm trying to drink away the part of the day I cannot sleep away". A more unoriginal lyricist would have said something about drinking to drown out his sorrow or some shit but this lyric, while straightforward and honest, presents the issue in a meandering, dreary tone that matches his mood. The assonance gives a sense of tiredness and monotony (drink away, part of the day, sleep away)

I could give a ton of other examples but that's the first that came to mind. I'm not going to claim he's a genius or anything, I just enjoy their music for what it is, good indie rock
>>
File: 1454990123455.jpg (143 KB, 590x496) Image search: [Google]
1454990123455.jpg
143 KB, 590x496
>>65125417
>joy division
>no death grips
Didn't know taste could be this bad
>>
>>65125576
I said they were MOR, which is probably more offensive to an artist than being plain bad. At least bad evokes a response.
>>
>>65125603
no one knows what mor means shithead
>>
>>65125562
Not the guy your responding too but grizzly bear is leagues ahead in terms of musicianship, production, and songwriting

Yeah sure a lot of their fans are stupid whole food hipsters but I don't really judge a band based on the most visible members of their fan base. Grizzly bear is the closest thing the 2000s ever had to a beach boys and while I rejected them for being poppy and effeminate at first as well I came around upon hearing yellowhouse played in a dark room wen I was on mushrooms
>>
>>65125602
>bait
>or retard
The dude left out hip hop groups obviously and focused on mostly guitar based bands
>>
>>65125602
joy grips
>>
>>65125566
Steve albini thinks so.....
>>
>>65125585
The different underlying thing is that I don't think he's highlighting his insecurities as insecurities, he sounds like he thinks he's a le cool and profound outsider for having some of the most lame and generic "struggles" I've ever heard.

And I wasn't criticizing him just because he lives in the suburbs. I like emo music like American Football that makes emotional mountains out of molehills, the difference is the level of self awareness.
>>
>>65125651
He's the one guy on the planet then. How boring do you have to be to idolize the musical equivalent of a blank piece of paper.
>>
>>65125584
>implying that layers and layers of instruments mixed in the most automatically genius way is anything akin to my refridegerator, Dave"I knew Kurt guys!!"grohl, or Lou reeds genius trolling
>>
>>65125673
>albino
>boring
>>
>>65125609
>no one knows what mor means
Just because you don't understand how to use a search engine, it doesn't mean anyone else struggles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_of_the_road_(music)
>>
>>65125673
In you're face you're the pretender
What if I say I will nevar surrender?
>>
>>65125642
You could shit on your keyboard and this board would reply
>>
>>65125683
Dude fell the fuck off though let's be real
>>
>>65125613
Grizzly bear is gay af dude
>>
>>65125695
Pics or it didn't happen
>>
File: image.jpg (202 KB, 1100x619) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
202 KB, 1100x619
>54 Replies / 3 Images
>>
File: Bolbi8.jpg (7 KB, 180x135) Image search: [Google]
Bolbi8.jpg
7 KB, 180x135
>>65125714
I want a grizzly dadyto pin me down and give me a rough fucking
>>
>>65125417
I feel like you'd like Modest Mouse

The human mind is really an enigma
>>
>>65125417
Your taste is as generic as anybody else's here please understand this
>>
I can never understand why people will hate any single thing this much. Like, hate is a negative emotion. I try to hate as few things as possible. It's not an enjoyable feeling to be full of hatred about anything. Why do you bring it upon yourself? Especially something so trivial?
>>
>>65125706
:(
>>
>>65125761
Then how come all I ever see on this board is posts about death grips, other shit meme hip hop acts, shitty metal, and electronic music? I feel like everyone here is so focused on not seeming generic that I rarely see extended discussion of any of these classic bands....
>>
File: 1455224905765.jpg (760 KB, 1280x1656) Image search: [Google]
1455224905765.jpg
760 KB, 1280x1656
If you really want actual emotion on a MM album, try listening to the Moon & Antarctica. It's widely considered to be one of their best releases, if not their best.
>>
>>65125761
Seemed like a decent list to me, what kindof esoteric gems do you listen to??
>>
>>65125779
It's kind of about what it represents. In this case this generation of insufferable whiny hipsters that think they're too cool for anything emotive or interesting so they just make this lame shitty whinefest.

It's about being too immature to express yourself and just opting for the route of whining and being different for the sake of being different but only in the most inoffensive way possible.

It's not for me but not just on a personal level. It's disingenuous and this hipster crap is shaping this decade up to be god awful.
>>
>>65125834
Such a ripe young lad
>>
>>65124974
WELL
>>
>>65125872
It always seems like the guys who call other people hipster the most are the biggest hipsters themselves... Self hatred much?
>>
>>65126027
How am I a hipster m80
>>
>>65125824
>/mu/ is a hivemind
>the catalog is anywhere near indicative of the /mu/ populous
>>65125871
read my post again
>>
>>65125657
He is highlighting them as insecurities, and he doesn't think he's deep or profound. An example is "talking shit about a pretty sunset" off their first album. Just the title itself shows a self-awareness that he is being a downer and that he is insecure about it.

I mean it's weird that you cite American Football, I don't find them nearly as self aware as Isaac. His lyrics seem kind of tongue in cheek, accurately assessing and expressing his situation while also acknowledging how insecure he is about having them, while kinsella's are just way over the top, in your face sentimentality with no hint of self awareness
>>
>>65125657
Kinsella/American Football play into almost every midwest emo cliche and stereotype imaginable
>>
>>65125417

nigga you got taste

FUCK MODEST MOUSE
>>
>>65126050
I don't think he was trying to say he was a special snowflake, or declare himself some sort of magical gatekeeper of hidden gems,just answering a straightforward question

And if one isn't to Judge /mu/ by it's catalog then what pray tell should one judge it by?
>>
>>65126126
>pray tell
you faggot

you judge it by the conversations and depth of musical discussion had in (for one) fucking non-bait threads, which are clearly only started by children who can't have their own way in the music that is discussed on the board

an example of this is realizing that your idea of how many fans there are of memerap is warped by how many threads the shitposting child fanbase they have makes
>>
>>65126094
The difference is that they're aware of it.

Learn to reading comprehension.
>>
>>65126175
>criticizing someone else for posting in a bait thread
>keeping said thread alive
>implying that deep meaningful discussions regarding music happens here
>being this into /mu/
Woah calm down buddy sorry I got you all ruffled there by sharing some bands I'm into... I didn't realize that /mu/ was so fuckin pretentious, I haven't come here in a while, used to come here for recs, would just share music I like and get some back I guess I didn't get the memo about how I shouldn't be so generic
>>
>>65126064
Could be then. My argument basically revolves around how much self awareness they have. Maybe their fans just made me assume because it seems like they enjoy it unironically in the same way you enjoy whiny emo unironically and miss what it's aiming for.

Also when I was talking about self awareness I wasn't really talking deliberately in the lyrics, just generally.
>>
>>65126175
>no true /mu/man
>>
>>65125757
enema*
>>
>>65126335
Of the state
>>
>>65125417
>Os mutantes

poser.
>>
>>65124974
>complains about lyrics
>>
>>65124974
if you can't listen to songs like Talking Shit About A Pretty Sunset, Trailer Trash, or 3rd Planet without thinking they are at all emotional, then there is something wrong with your ears and comprehension
>>
>>65125313
Debut album. They released an EP prior to that. They did release other music even earlier too, but those were demos and not widely spread (just sent out to friends and family, kinda like the Gybe cassette)
>>
>>65124974
You so eloquently described how I've felt about this band. People who describe Isaac Brock as a genius have yet to get their toes wet.
>>
Issac Brock is fucking insane and wildly inconsistent as a songwriter but when he's really on point he can reach Bob Dylan levels of sublime
>>
>>65128425
I cannot imagine how fucking retarded you have to be to believe something like that
>>
>>65128484
i know right. bob dylan suck but isaac doesn't
>>
>>65128495
Written like the uninformed swine you are.
>>
>>65124974
>go out of their way to be different [etc]
You have to realize this isn't them, it's you. You made it and projected it onto them, but it might not necessarily be accurate to the source. Bear this in mind and control for it.

Other than that, I hate to say it this way, but you just don't get it. I'm not saying you're deficient or wanting, necessarily, but you just don't have the means to understand or experience it in a way that's meaningful.

Stop going to reddit. Stop coming on /mu/. The way you weigh and frame things is all fucked up because you consistently pollute your mind with the meaningless little opinions of people who don't even matter. It's about you. Listen for you. Stop thinking about what you're supposed to think and supposed to see. The intent of the creator is irrelevant, and there's more to music than reverse engineering.

This is bait anyway. Kind of glad it's Modest Mouse bait for once, means you'll rope people into having a Modest Mouse thread.
>>
Look at all these plebbit nu-males take the bait.
>>
>>65125910
Cowboy Dan's a major player, in the cowboy scene.
>>
>>65125417
The New York dolls were a terrible band.
>>
>>65125417
>The Pixies
Holy shit kill yourself you can't even do it right
>>
tl;Dr modest mouse is overrated shit and /mu/ is full of pretentious fucks who think they're intellectuals when they're just fake deep
>>
is this what people mean when they said neo-/mu/? i've never seen so much MM hate in one thread before
>>
>>65130712
People are broken degenerates.
>>
>>65130712
>implying any board on 4chan has actually changed
/mu/ is just circlejerking to the same shit as before, only now some people are actually pointing out that it is in fact really shitty and being pretentious is no longer a reason to listen to music that you dislike
>>
>>65124974
>my thoughts were so loud i couldnt hear my mouth
fuck you op that line is great
>>
>>65130852
they have so many great lines

>i made my shoes shine with my coal
>but the polish didn't shine the hole
>>
I knew a sniveling nu male cuck faggot who hated me for absolutely no reason in high school. He always wore a modest mouse sweater. It kind of soured the band permanently for me.
>>
>>65130894
I don't feel, and it feels great. I sold my atlas to buy new brakes.

Can't do it, not even if sober. Can't get that engine turned over.
>>
>>65130927
>every time you walk you're just movin' the ground
>>
>>65125417
holy shit you're a fucking pleb
>>
>>65130927
Also, something you may not have heard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3SAui320L8
>>
File: laughing clats.png (315 KB, 465x455) Image search: [Google]
laughing clats.png
315 KB, 465x455
>>65125417
>Black Lips
Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.