[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/CASSETTE TAPE/ GENERAL -POST YOUR COPS -POST YOUR WANTS -PLUG
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6
File: Quick_web_cassette1.jpg (75 KB, 900x483) Image search: [Google]
Quick_web_cassette1.jpg
75 KB, 900x483
/CASSETTE TAPE/ GENERAL

-POST YOUR COPS

-POST YOUR WANTS

-PLUG YOUR TAPE

-BITCH ABOUT PEOPLE BUYING TAPES IN 2016
>>
Anyone getting Marshall Mathers LP with the brick?
>>
Hey guys, I just noticed something.

Whenever I play a cassette I bought in my 4 track recorder it plays back at a slightly faster speed. Not fast enough that'd you'd notice on a casual listen but fast enough that if you played it along with the actual time it will end a few seconds before.

Any idea why this is? Is my 4 track slightly broken?
>>
File: IMG_2854.jpg (2 MB, 3024x3185) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2854.jpg
2 MB, 3024x3185
the Pangea tape (bottom one) is my most prized possession. Really glad I got my hands on one.
>>
>>65119251
Can you adjust the speed
>>
File: cassette.png (2 MB, 1824x954) Image search: [Google]
cassette.png
2 MB, 1824x954
I released this scary drone music tape

dogsinreverse.bandcamp.com
>>
>>65119375
Yeah but even at the lowest speed its too fast.

I'm wondering if the power outlet being used could effect the 4 track. Not too sure. I'm pretty new to cassettes in general.
>>
>>65119564
It's probably fucked up
>>
>>65118971
I want to release an album on cassette,

my local thrift store has plenty of cheap ass tapes I can buy, but what's a good tape dubber thing to buy?
>>
>>65119667
buy new tapes. unless the thrift store sells for a quarter each, new tapes will be cheaper most likely
>>
>>65119777
>>65119433
What website would you recommend? Should I order blank tapes and order labels with artwork separately? I'm fine with a little manual labor for like 50 copys
>>
In one of the tapes I have the film tape holding the film ripped or something and I can't play it anymore. I've read tutorials that you just have to cut the bad part and tape them together with scotch tape or something. Does anyone know if any music is lost on the piece that is cut off?
>>
>>65119846
duplication.ca

I did a series where I recorded improvs over old cassettes too though
https://dogsinreverse.bandcamp.com/album/cassette-tape-series-tape-no-1
>>
>>65120019
these guys ship?
>>
>>65119915
Yea you can use tape. Just cut it to the right size with an exacto. I make tape loops all the time using scotch tape
>>
>>65119433
Your stuff is awesome dude.

I picked up the last copy of Joy, Departed by Sorority Noise earlier today.
>>
>>65120043
Yup it's where I got my tapes from
>>
Protip: You can buy short duration colored cassette tapes, and then buy the 90 minute Maxell shits, and then just swap the tapes out.

Now you have a marginally cheaper 90 minute colored tape.
>>
>>65120060
thanks<3
>>
>>65120110
Rofl you're gonna save like 3 dollars doing that plus all the time and hassle it'll take
>>
It has to be done

You guys are fucking retarded for perpetuating the use of audio cassette tapes
>>
>>65120046
Alright thanks.
>>
>>65120276
Having physical copies of something you appreciate is nice for some people.
>>
Bump. Will post new cops in a moment
>>
File: fuck cassettes.jpg (109 KB, 565x424) Image search: [Google]
fuck cassettes.jpg
109 KB, 565x424
>>65118971
Cassettes are becoming more expensive now and it is starting to annoy me. I got into cassettes just because they were cheaper than CDs and Vinyl, but just as collectible (usually download codes too).

Bigger labels are selling cassettes for $10+, which is fucking terrible since cassettes costs $.50 to make each.

Hell, even some local bands are now charging more than $5 for shitty dubbed maxwell tapes with lazy ass printer paper covers. If you are going to make a cassette cost just as much as vinyl, just fucking buy a record.

My personal golden rule of cassettes is to keep it at or under $5 unless I really like them, any more and they are ripping you off. Fucking stop trying to brooklyn every single niche of music.
>>
>>65120276
It's really just a nice way to get a physical version of something. Especially for smaller artists. You can press a short run of tapes for barely anything
>>
>>65119667
use audio books. Thrift stores sell audiobooks on tape for $1 each usually (which is like 10 90 minute tapes) Not good quality, but they are cassettes.
>>
>>65120575
or just buy blank tapes
>>
>>65120771
nigga blank tapes longer to get online compared to just walking your bitch ass over to a thrift shop and buying the Goosebumps series on tape
>>
>>65120809
You can't wait a couple days to get tapes? Plan your shit better
>>
>>65120888
don't tell me what to do

and what place can you buy ten 90-minute tapes for $1
>>
>>65120927
You can't but you can get tapes that don't sound like garbage
>>
>>65120967
Any cassettes sound like garbage anyways, the more garbage they sound no difference
>>
File: 0004278263_10.jpg (138 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
0004278263_10.jpg
138 KB, 1200x675
>>
>>65120276
That applies to all physical media.

CDs and records are equally as retarded in the age of the internet.
>>
>>65121095
Not as retarded as paying money for downloads.
>>
>>65121137
this
>>
>>65121137
Which is why buying tapes basically just for the d/l code is cool
>>
>>65121137
actually its equally as retarded

protip you don't own any media physical or digital
>>
>>65121169
You can sell physical copies, and often profit off them, downloads are like paying for thin air.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
All the recent arrivals
>>
>>65121220
That Luxury Elite and Winter Sleep tapes are dope. The reverse side of the J card for the Winter Sleep tape is sweet as well
>>
>>65121220
Dream catalogue charges too much for their tapes, and most of the best ones are sold out anyway.
>>
>>65121259
Haven't listened to the Winter Sleep tape yet, but I just got the Luxury Elite one for cheap on Discogs and it sounds great. It also has a lot of cool remixes on the b side.
>>65121287
They do charge a lot, but I'm physical media consumer scum
>>
>>65121095

at least CD's and Vinyl sound good

Tapes are terrible.

I understand the need for physical media if you are a band playing shows and stuff, I just don't get why it's hard to make CD's instead of Tapes

It's not expensive at all. People are just fucking greedy to make tapes instead of CD's

another plus for CD's is: PEOPLE HAVE FUCKING CD PLAYERS
>>
>>65121522

>PEOPLE HAVE FUCKING CD PLAYERS
It costs like $10 to buy a cassette player, big deal.
>>
>>65121522
Tapes are like posters, pins, and other merch. They are more goodies than they are physical media. It is a nice way to support the band, especially since it is still cheaper to manufacture a good looking cassette over a good looking CD.

I do like CD's because they offer all the things that digital offers, but with more physical goodies as well, but you can't deny the certain charm of cassettes.
>>
>>65121592

I can. I am old, I had Green Day Dookie on Tape. I finally got my own CD player and turned my back on them like everybody else in the world

They sound bad
>>
>>65121675
I dunno, I was 12 before CDs were really a thing, and I still buy tapes that aren't available as anything else. I don't think they sound that bad, and there is something charming about a tape that someone carefully handmade 50 of.

Sure, if you're REALLY comparing, of course they aren't crisp and sharp sounding, but they don't sound BAD if you have even a decent tape deck.
>>
>>65121675
They are mediocre for stuff like rock or classical or anything high fidelity, but good for stuff like vaporwave, noise or lo-fi indie, etc.
>>
>>65121522
>Tapes are terrible.

They all have worse quality than digital.

They are all objectively retarded. Get your fucking shit together.
>>
>paying for music
>>
>>65121522
>I just don't get why it's hard to make CD's instead of Tapes

Because making an actual CDr is not the same as burning your MP3s to a disc. The quality will be shit.

It's much more expensive to make an actual CDr than it is to make an actual cassette tape, in terms of professional manufacture.

Burned CDs from your computer might be a little better than the tape your ripped from your boombox, but both are shit.
>>
>>65121827
Actually this thread is about paying for plastic.
>>
>>65121522
>People are just fucking greedy to make tapes instead of CD's

As an observer of a friend who recently put out a tape, this is just blatantly not true. He and his bandmate paid out of pocket to produce 100 tapes and are selling them for a $1 profit.

It really is just that much cheaper unless you want a pixelated piece of ream paper folded in half and a sharpie marked cd. To actually produce a decent cd case and a printed cd IS more expensive.
>>
https://rateyourmusic.com/collection/Dr_MoonOrGun/oo,fmt.Cassette

Mostly stuff that's not available on another format.
>>
>>65119251
Some 4-tracks record and play back tapes faster than a standard cassette deck, but usually it's at a speed faster than usual (such as 1.5x or 2x) rather than only slightly as you're describing.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.