[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are Deadheads dying out? I've noticed fewer and fewer people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: grateful.png (747 KB, 1069x561) Image search: [Google]
grateful.png
747 KB, 1069x561
Are Deadheads dying out?

I've noticed fewer and fewer people that I meet are into the Grateful Dead now, many not even knowing who they are. It's obviously not because they're old, everyone's still heard of the Beatles and the other classics. They clearly still have a solid massive fanbase, but less and less younger people seem to be getting into them as time goes on.

It's crazy, they've got so much amazing music but the fanbase seems to be burning out. Maybe it's because of the sheer quantity of stuff they put out.

Thoughts?
>>
I've met more in the past 2 years than I have in my whole life prior.

I guess it may be because there's loads of deadheads in Colorado, though.
>>
>>65114571
True, it may very well be location based. I'm in the UK but I could swear I used to meet a lot more.
>>
I've met a ton of people who are into them in college. Only a few are like Deadhead level like having favorite shows and shit, but their out there.
>>
>>65114618
yeah I think it may more specifically be because of the pot legalization
>>
File: 1449179511431.gif (184 KB, 500x733) Image search: [Google]
1449179511431.gif
184 KB, 500x733
I'm literally the only person I know who's into them.
>>
>>65114518
>muh 20 minute segue jam

I appreciate their music, but they'll never have the lasting appeal of the Beatles (or other classic rock/folk bands).

Bob's vocals, Donna's attempt at vocals, and Phil's meandering bass don't quite match up with the greatness of someone like Jerry or Mickey.
>>
File: TwoBigPizzas.jpg (125 KB, 500x272) Image search: [Google]
TwoBigPizzas.jpg
125 KB, 500x272
It doesn't help that they're a cultural punchline at this point.
>>
>>65115659
this.

Beatles fans aren't burnouts.
>>
Even though they don't exist as a band anymore, I think they've made a lasting impression on music, and will be remembered for that. I've never seen the full band in concert, but even from some of their studio albums like Blues for Allah, which is incredibly composed, there is a sense of timelessness. Although the culture surrounding being a deadhead is slowly moving out, I don't think they will ever die fully
>>
We should have some listen alongs. I had no idea there was more than one head on /mu/. I only see jam band posts, and some random dead ones here and there.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.