[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I totally agree with the massive consensus that this is a pinnacle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: Velvet_Underground_and_Nico.jpg (9 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
Velvet_Underground_and_Nico.jpg
9 KB, 350x350
I totally agree with the massive consensus that this is a pinnacle of music history. This album had an immediate and profound impact on me, which I didn't expect after so many years of hearing about its mythical status and not being especially into the general circles of music it relates to. Finally I heard it and I think this or the USA album is the greatest 60s rock album. I'm totally killed by Nico's vocals. Destroyed. Helplessly in love. I mean, is there a better song in the history of the world than "All Tomorrow's Parties"? Magic.

The first VU I heard was Loaded, which didn't do much of anything for me and gave me a low opinion of Lou Reed to match the low opinions I'd heard expressed by many people. I wrote off VU as yet another overrated fashionable pop group for the idle pointless hipster crowd. But then I heard this album and the other early stuff and now I think he is a genius and I totally get into his singing and songwriting on the VU stuff. It was like "Now I get it. Now I understand what all these people are talking about. Now I'm one of them." Yes, that's an unsettling and profound experience to have. The whole history of rock music flashed before my mind's eye. Now I'm one of "them".

Hearing the acoustic versions of some of this stuff on the VU box set makes me even more convinced that Reed was the real deal, an authentic vessel of musical truth that rarely surfaces in the world. Have never heard any non-VU Lou Reed so far. I hear it sucks.

To me, "Sunday Morning" is the weakest track, but still an excellent song, and all the others are either great or in a category far beyond "great", a category of transcendental, ineffable perfection of unrepeatable convergences between sound and emotion.

I really like the scrapey, droney viola element. That's a kind of sound closer to the avant-garde music that's more comfortable and familiar for me.
>>
>>65114456
>Sunday morning is the weakest track
its literally the best track
>>
>>65114540
i find it hard to believe you even like the album if you actually think that
>>
What a masterpiece this album is
>>
>>65114568
Its a great album, and Sunday Morning is its best track, far better than White Light/White Heat
>>
File: 1464029312225.jpg (319 KB, 1000x810) Image search: [Google]
1464029312225.jpg
319 KB, 1000x810
>>65114456
I didn't like it fag reeeeeeeeee
>>
Cool album cover can I save it??? xDDD
>>
The tracks with Nico on them that aren't called All Tomorrow's Parties are easily the best part of the album.
>>
>>65114456
Lou Reed has some great solo albums: New York, Berlin, Transformer, and Songs for Drella.

However, my favorite song of his appears on one of his weaker albums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2532gJcCsA
>>
venus in furs is best song
>>
Fantastic album, I personally prefer White Light/White Heat though
>>
>>65116358
But that's the best song on the album anon
>>
>>65114568
I love the album as well, and Sunday Morning truly is the best track.
>>
>>65114456
when it's all said and done, this album will still be heralded hundreds of years from now
>>
>2 chord pop
>edgy, druggie lyrics
>focus on image rather than music
>has nico singing out of tune on multiple tracks

truly a masterpiece
>>
>>65114456
>This album had an immediate and profound impact on me
What a pleb reason to call an album the pinnacle. You know that such a response can be achieved from even generic radio pop music. Good music is about what's beyond that initial base response in music.
>>
>yfw I'm getting the tattoo from the cover of WH/WH
What do you think bros?
>>
>>65118749
get out faggot
>>
>>65119318
You should get it in a faintly darker color than your skin
>>
John Cale was the genius behind TVU&N and WL/WH. After he left, The Velvets only made garbage like Loaded and the self-titled album.
>>
>>65119370
Yeah I'm afraid if it's too clear it'll look too retarded and literally nobody will get it, though I guess I shouldn't care about that
>>
>>65119368
typical TVU fan
>>
>>65114568
Dude I like the avant-garde stuff as much as anyone, but Sunday Morning is absolute beauty. The instrumentation over the Viola drone.... I can't even describe that. And when the viola starts it's own melody twords the end, bliss. I don't even know why I'm focusing on certain aspects, the song is near flawless.
Sorry man, I just can't have you saying that about my favorite song and not say anything about it.
>>
>>65114456
Good for you OP, but White Light/White Heat is still the far superior album and I think TVU&N is a tad bit overrated and overstated as one of the best albums of all time.
>>
>>65119578
shut the fuck up montie
>>
>>65119578
SWEETLY
>>
>>65119578
Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of 4chan are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.