[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Daily reminder that your AOTY is probably shit.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 6
File: IMG7153.jpg (582 KB, 800x1033) Image search: [Google]
IMG7153.jpg
582 KB, 800x1033
Daily reminder that your AOTY is probably shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 723x723) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 723x723
>>65108834
>no James Blake on that list
>>
why do people still listen to this guy?
>>
>>65108834
If he pans Blackstar he is literally just being contrarian.
>>
le Italian pedophile face
>>
>>65108834

Does it bother anyone else how often he keeps getting away this this? It literally keeps me up at night how contrarian he is, I just can't handle it.
>>
>>65108910
He is a contrarian, that's why /mu/ loves him so much.
>>
>liking the new meh dj andy scott
yeah whatever scruffles
>>
File: image.jpg (13 KB, 160x120) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13 KB, 160x120
>>65108910
epin mem senpai
>>
>>65108897
Probably because despite his contrarian tendencies and his obvious fervour for pushing obscure shit over most popular records regardless of quality, he still has overall better taste than most other chode-ass critics that /mu/ listens to.

All music critics are wankers, Scaruffi is just a little less insufferable of a wanker.

I also discovered Labradford thanks t him and only him so I'm grateful for that.
>>
lifetones album is actually a reissue, it was released in 1983
>>
>>65108910
He's weird in that he says he doesn't care about feels or anything but he has some essential feelcore in his top 25
He'll probably pan it because Bowie stole his gf tho
>>
The only thing he really cares about nowadays is pychedelic wankrock. That, apart from his main job, panning popular bands and albums, is pretty much everything he does. He doesn't have time for music anymore and it shows.
>>
>>65109018
This essentially.

I have a lot of hate for Scaruffi. I think his love for the music he likes is justified but down the line he has some shitty, shitty opinions.
>>
>>65109018
>stole his gf
What happened?
>>
>>65109018

When did he say he doesn't care about feels? He just feels differently from the average /mu/tant. He recieves the feels from the point of view of a mature individual who has most of his musical experience in classical and jazz. He genuinely gives a thoughtful and experienced listen to the actual music. He doesn't listen as a teenager who can only feel through trite lyrics.
>>
>>65108834
Nice to see he fucking panned blackstar, hopelessness, malibu, lemonade, teens of denial, coloring book and human performance
all shit
>>
>sleep cycle isn't on that list
yesssssss
>>
>>65109606
6.5/10 at best, but i'm predicting a 5/10. he probably didn't think to list it as "overhyped" because major review sites were fairly lukewarm on it. we'll resolve this wager in two years when he gives it a score.
>>
>>65109116
>but down the line he has some shitty, shitty opinions.
Far better than yours.
Far more justified too.
>>
>>65109667
pls do not feed the troll
>>
Scaruffi's opinions are literally based on what he feels are "overrated".

Very few of his reviews are rooted in actual criticism.
>>
>>65109755
this, Scruffy kinda exposed himself with these posts
>>
>>65108834
but all my aoty contestants are literally on his...

also hes right as fuck about white lung, parquet courts, and car seat headrest
>>
what is supposed to go in the "playlist" section? The best tracks of the year?

>>65108897
literally best critic, it's rare that someone so good doesn't do it for the money
>>
>>65109755
>>65109875
that makes him more useful as a critic... I don't need someone to tell me which is the best Radiohead album, it's obscure music that the critic helps me pick from
>>
>>65108834
I can't believe he actually liked that Woods album
I feel so relieved for liking it now
>>
>>65110120
Just a collection of tracks he liked from the year, often but not necessarily the best off that year.
>>
>>65108834
> rock : beyonce
>>
>>65110875
By rock he basically means anything that isn't Jazz or Classical.
>>
>>65108834
>White Lung - Paradise

Scruffy is still my nigga, that shit sucked so much. Heard it expecting some neat noise-rock and got shitty AFI altern-rock
>>
>>65108897
protip: its a meme
>>
>>65108897

1. He is an epic meme due to his pushiness and strange taste, but furthermore:

2. Him having strange taste means that if you read his stuff then you are more likely to get exposed to stuff that's actually interesting instead of the latest ebin maymay music

3. His catalog of music is extremely large and he has a rather comprehensive history of rock music that's worth reading.
>>
>>65108897
he knows more about music than you could learn in three lifetimes
>>
>>65109216
lol btfo
>>
>>65110156
yeah, but inherently disliking something just because it is popular doesn't make him a trustworthy critic; would he appreciate popular albums but choose to review more obscure stuff I wouldn't have a problem with him
>>
>>65109216

This. Also, he mentioned somewhere on his website that nearly all lyrics suck ass (with rare exceptions like Leonard Cohen and the ending of Faust's debut) and I couldn't possibly agree more with him.
>>
>>65111686
>yeah, but inherently disliking something just because it is popular
he doesn't do this though. he praises extremely popular artists like the doors, bruce springsteen, metallica, etc. just because he's harsher on bowie or radiohead than the average rock critic doesn't mean he hates all things popular.
>>
>>65111686
his top albums list includes Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen, you dumb shit. if you spent more than five seconds reading his website, you would understand he's not just an ebin contrarian. he even gave the Rolling Stones one or two 8/10s.
>>
>>65108834
What will he rate Untitled Unmastered?
>>
>>65111686

He doesn't have to appreciate popular albums because he is 100 percent correct about them.
>>
>>65111686
He appreciates popular music when it's actually good. A great example is Alanis Morrisette.
Jagged Little Pill sold millions AND was a good goddamn record. He rated it a Scaruffi 8.
>>
>>65111786

This. His top albums list also includes the Velvet Underground & Nico, which is critically acclaimed as all fuck, and the Doors, which is similarly acclaimed. Jimi Hendrix received an 8, and Metallica received an 8 for Master of Puppets.

I can't stand some of his taste, but you know what, I'm going to defend him because he exposes people to much, much more interesting music than almost any other dumbass critics (who are basically just shitposters that have their own websites, publications, or youtube channels to shitpost on).
>>
andy stott was his best in a while tbqh lads based scaruffi
>>
Do you think there'll be any 8's this time around?
>>
>>65111984
he still hasn't rated TPAB...
>>
>>65112744
nah it was mediocre
>>
>>65108936
le italian patrician face
>>
>>65109918
>contestants
contenders, you mong.
>>
File: 2016.jpg (508 KB, 838x380) Image search: [Google]
2016.jpg
508 KB, 838x380
>>65108834
>No Bird's Eye View
lame
>>
>>65108834
Didn't "For a Reason" come out in the 80's?
>>
>>65115081
>radiohead
lel
>>
>>65108834
>Blackstar don't deserve the hype
Based Scaruffi.
>>
>>65108834

Anybody want to discuss which of the ones he likes are best? King Goblin's album is fucking terrific.
>>
>>65108940

Him being some mega-overlord contrarian has been disproven to death.
>>
>>65108834
>piero
>humble opinions
>>
>>65115804
I really liked Graphic, but I honestly think a lot of his picks are kind of boring.
>>
>>65115804
Shit yeah dude, that's probably my vote as well. Brilliant recording.
>>
File: file.png (141 KB, 1141x467) Image search: [Google]
file.png
141 KB, 1141x467
>>65108834
nah me and scruffy good
>>
>>65117948
>Ludovic Morlot's stellar recording of Ives
>on par with fucking Tim Hecker
kill yourself
>>
>people on /mu/ actually believe Scaruffi is a good critic
he likes some more obscure stuff that's worth listening to, but he's a horrible writer and wanks over influence but can't accept that the Beatles were actually influential (not just copying things from the underground). scaruffi drones will attack me now but whatever

https://factorysunburst.wordpress.com/2014/08/31/piero-scaruffi-and-truth/
>>
>>65118094
would've given it higher if it wasn't full of cover songs
>>
>>65118124
Nah fæm I agree that he's a horrible fucking writer, and has a difficult time expressing his opinions when compared to most other 'critics', but he still has infinitely better taste than every other big music critic I've yet seen.
>>
>>65111109
tfw read this comment and thought, have they drastically changed their sound, then realized I was thinking of White Suns
>>
I don't know how anyone could disagree with his list highly publicized over-hyped albums.
>>
>>65119064
Plebs who are butthurt
>>
>>65118124

Well, Scaruffi is worth defending for all his faults because other people push critics that are basically shitposters with their own websites, and who only review the dankest meme garbage as they get released, so I'm not about to start attacking Scaruffi.
>>
>>65108834
>Blackstar
>A Moon Shaped Pool
I can't really complain about him not liking them, Scaruffi isn't a fan of Bowie or Radiohead. It would've been foolish of me to expect him to suddenly change his mind about them and praise their latest work.
>Hopelessness
>Lemonade
>Teens of Denial
Based Scaruffi
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.