[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
bass to guitar
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (146 KB, 736x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
146 KB, 736x1200
i've been playing bass for years, it's been nice because you can always be in a band when you're a decent bassist. i can read music and play a few different styles well

but recently i moved to a new city and i don't really know anyone, so i want to learn guitar so i can make music by myself.

advice from anyone else who's made the transition? good starter guitars? do i need lessons or can i mostly teach myself off the internet?

thx /mu/
>>
>>65106926
If you wanna play in a band you should be good at whatever instrument you play.

As for your question, I have no idea.
>>
How can someone play bass for so long but be such a bitch about just picking up a goddamn guitar? Just find one that feels comfortable. you probably already know some chord shapes right? I mean, how brain dead are you?
>>
It depends on the price.

If you can play bass you can probably figure out guitar on your own just look up basic chords and shit.
>>
>>65106926
>you can always be in a band when you're a decent bassist
What does this even mean? You can be in a band too if you're good on guitar or drums.
>>
>>65106926
It's not really difficult, I've played guitar for years, and though I don't own a bass, I have an octave pedal, and have written bass lines to accompany my guitar work.

Generally, if you can play one, you can play the other.
>>
>>65107857
I think he means there is a lower standard and less competition for bassists
>>
>>65107857
>guitarists
A dime a dozen

>drummers
Out there, but all the good ones are taken

>bassists
unicorns

Good rhythm players are already taken, and those that are free are either terrible or not free for long. OP just go on CL and you'll find something quickly.
>>
>>65106926
hope this helps you OP
http://www.amazon.com/Bert-Weedons-Play-Day-Playing/dp/0571529658
>>
>>65109185
This post is so fucking wrong. Mainly because all you have to do to find a bassist is take your friend with the most free time, give him a bass and tell him he's in the band.

He'll be good enough to play a show within 3 months.
>>
>>65109317
Bullshit dude. Typical guitar player mindset. Until you appreciate all the shit going on beneath your wank, you'll be stuck playing those queer open mics and pizza bar gigs.
>>
>>65109396
I'm not wrong though. I can appreciate a legitimately talented bass player and it would be great if there were more of them. But it's a fact that you can pick up the bass quicker than guitar.
>>
>>65109396
Also you're not wrong in calling guitarist a dime a dozen. But the difference is that guitarists are far more likely to have diverse sounds and styles. Whereas a typical bassist can be easily adjusted to fit any kind of style you're playing... unless it's some technical jazzy stuff.
>>
>>65109396
This, as a guitarist bass is more important.

I dislike lead guitarists that just noodle around and don't understand how important bass/rhythm is.
>>
>>65109317
It's actually completely correct, ask any bassist who gets work. There's always people looking for bassists while nobody has to look under any rocks for a guy who can wank a blues lick on guitar.
>>
>>65109185
i play first and foremost as a guitarist but if anyone ever asks I say I'm more of a bassist since I know that's what everyone's looking for.

However, living in a big city of thin walls, I have only met three drummers and all three were taken.

I will never find anyone to jam :(
>>
>>65109825
Depends entirely how they play guitar.
>>
>>65109825
>There's always people looking for bassists
Yeah because they're not as smart as I am and don't realize anyone can become a bass player in no time. I've seen it happen multiple times.
>>
Most bassists are also guitarists anyways, and vice versa goes for any decent guitarist.
>>
>>65109317
With a couple years of guitar experience, I had three weeks between being handed a bass and having my first show. Wasn't great, but I didn't flop.

Almost a year later, I actually sound decent.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.