[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Progressive Metal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: blackwater park.jpg (159 KB, 1062x1080) Image search: [Google]
blackwater park.jpg
159 KB, 1062x1080
Thoughts on prog? I personally love it. Especially Opeth
>>
prog metal is a very mixed bag
>>
>>65106741
Agreed, it can be very hit or miss.
>>
Most prog metal's pretty awful. Full of bands like Opeth and Dream Theater that cater more to ADD as fuck guys who want "variety" rather than making good music which actually does a fine job of exploring the ideas it presents without meandering too much.

Check out some maudlin of the Well, Kayo Dot, Queensryche, and Stargazer they are actually good prog metal. I guess the new Vektor's pretty good, too.

Also maybe check out bands like Demilich or Deathspell Omega who don't get the prog label because they don't sound directly like the 70s guys, but their philosophy towards making music is definitely like that of the better 70s prog stuff.
>>
>>65106776
>bands like Opeth and Dream Theater
>even uttering opeth's name in the same sentence as dream theatre
fuck you you piece of shit
>>
>>65106806
Opeth is far better than DT. DT is such a boring band.
>>
>>65106878
oh. if it wasn't clear, that was my point
>>
>>65106903
Ah, my bad. I thought you were calling Opeth shit
>>
>>65106806
Muh variety is just as bad as muh technicality though. Opeth's thing is that they think they are super open minded about music because they put surface level elements of non-metal genres in there. But if anyone who actually listens to the genres they are influenced by listens to Opeth they know that Opeth are a farce. "Metal purists" don't shit on Opeth because so called "purists" aren't open minded enough, they shit on them because they are open minded enough to have a considerable enough knowledge to realize how awful Opeth's gimmicky attempt at combining various forms of music is. Not to mention that like Dream Theater and a lot of modern prog, they are under the misunderstand that being progressive means to use the same elements of the prog bands of the 70s rather than the philosophy towards songwriting those bands had.
>>
>>65107308
>if you listen to the source material/ influences you'll realise how bad X band is!!!

yeah, always a sign of an open-minded individual rather than a boring pseud
>>
>>65107449
Well, in this case it is though. I also mentioned maudlin of the Well who have very obvious jazz and chamber music parts in their tracks and Demilich who use serialism in their music. I even said good of 70s prog bands who often combined some form of classical/or jazz with rock/folk. But these bands are very good at doing that. Opeth just isn't that good with this kinda stuff for example they'll put more jazzy chords in a place where basic power chords would've done the job better or play too many notes in parts where less notes would've done the job.
>>
>>65107572
idk man, i love motw and demilich. i like plenty of classic prog too. you just seem far too bogged down in theory to acutally enjoy music. it honestly sounds like a painful way to experience music to me. how can you say you're open minded and just moments later genuinely denounce something as having 'too many notes'? it's kinda comical

i don't doubt you have a better understanding of music theory than me but it sounds like you lost something important along the way.

in short: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFeS0VstOdE
>>
>>65106690
People usually call Riverside a poor man's Opeth, but I think Second Life Syndrome is pretty solid album. Their debut was also good, but very unpolished.

Porcupine Tree has it's prog metal moments, but they are usually among rock releases. Deadwing and In Absentia are trash, don't waste your time on these.

Then there's Tool, which really much split people in two: you'll love it or hate it/find it boring.

Recently I found band named Moonrise, their album "Stopover - Life" is also nice.
>>
>>65107750
Your post reek of pretentiousness.

>too far bogged down in theory
How the fuck can you even say this when I suggested that Opeth use power chords instead of the chords they often use?

>how can you say you're open minded and just moments later genuinely denounce something as having 'too many notes'? it's kinda comical
How the fuck is that comical? Do you even know what you're talking about? You say you listen to classic prog, ever listened to Close To The Edge? It has more notes than anything Opeth, but every note has context and reason behind it to be there.

Too many notes is exactly why nobody likes Dream Theater, why nobody liked prog in the late 70s and punk happened, and why Opeth's awful, too. This type of music cares more for self indulgence and "look how cool I am" than making good art.

>you lost something important along the way
>to acutally enjoy music
Your argument in the entire post is that "you only hate Opeth because you don't like to have fun! Have some fun!" which not only is it baseless, but the something "important" you mentioned isn't maybe all that important.

Getting that initial emotional response that you're putting up as "so important" can be achieved by literally any music in existence. That's why the average person can get it from radio pop however well made it is. Some even get it from this Dream Theater band that you profess sucks.

Being open minded does not equate to liking awful stuff. It means having a more diverse palette for music.
>>
How do people feel about Katatonia's new album? I mean they've been moving in a proggier direction for some time now, subtlely since Viva Emptiness and not so subtly since Night Is The New Day, so I shouldn't be too surprised with this new one. That said, I think it's trying a bit hard to be 2000's Opeth without the death growls, and for the bursts of more technical passages on it I don't feel like many of them actually contribute to anything. I prefer the simpler songs like Pale Flag, Decima, or Old Heart Falls as they sound much more focused in their direction.
>>
>>65108639
Not him but you sound autistic.
>>
>>65108387
>Deadwing and In Absentia are trash, don't waste your time on these.
In Absentia and Deadwing are their best and 3rd best albums, respectively.
>>
>>65108866
And that makes me calling out his dumb "you don't like Opeth cuz you don't have fun" argument wrong how?
>>
>>65108387
>Deadwing and In Absentia are trash
Opinion discarded.
>>
>>65108639
>every note has context and reason behind it to be there.

And what is exactly that determines which note has a "context" or a "reason"? Not the guy you're arguing with by the way.
>>
I was obsessed with Opeth for a while, they were the band that got me interested in music. Currently i am really into Thy Catafalque and Ne Obliviscaris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DDePrlB2Z4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsh9xzTCFRk

>>65106776
a lot of prog groups are bad at melding a lot of influences, while still keeping it cohesive and fun.
>>65108387
Signify is my favorite Porcupine Tree album, Deadwing and Absentia are both still solid releases though.
>>
File: Cover.jpg (700 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
700 KB, 1000x1000
>>65108941
>In Absentia and Deadwing are their best and 3rd best albums, respectively.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha
I liked PT better when Wilson was aping off of Pink Floyd instead of singing about shit that only appeals to wrong generationers.
>>
>>65109541
Take the intro for Close To The Edge. Shit's got more notes in it than most Pink Floyd songs wtf. But it does a fantastic job at doing the setup for the intro to the themes the album explores. To make it easier to understand, just read like the first few pages off of Herman Hesse's Sidhartha, the inspiration for the themes of CTTE. Very atmospheric, so not wank.

Then look at a song like I guess...The Moor by Opeth. Roughly around three quarters into the song it breaks into this clean part where Mikael/the character is like beckoning and whatnot. Sounds cool okay, but then it spends like an extra minute doing the variation of the part that has the beckoning thing for no good reason before going back to harsh vocals/distortion. Like what the fuck was the point of having that extra bit? Nothing happened during it, it took the a part of the musical and thematic narrative and basically redid it for no reason. It's like you're reading a book and before getting to the next chapter the current chapter has like an entire part that's what has been said in the chapter but with more annoying purple prose.
>>
>>65111294
are you seriously equating repitition in literature to repitition in music? do you actually not understand why it's ok to repeat a musical passage but not a passage of text?

no wonder people think prog is for autists
>>
>>65106690
Blackwater park to me is the best metal albums of the 00s
Still life has a great atmosphere I really enjoy the acoustic parts
>>
bump for prog
>>
>>65112480
>I really enjoy the acoustic parts
you shouldn't, they have too many notes kek
>>
File: CD art.jpg (137 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
CD art.jpg
137 KB, 1200x1200
>>65106690
if you like heavier prog check out this fresh band from brighton! they just got on to bloodstock through metal to the masses

Here's their EP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRx45DLkvo4
>>
>>65111000
i second that, still id go an see them play anything any day regardless.

>>65114138
not bad^
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.