[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is so little popular music in 3/4? When people deviate from
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: 660_MeritH.gif (170 KB, 660x417) Image search: [Google]
660_MeritH.gif
170 KB, 660x417
Why is so little popular music in 3/4? When people deviate from 4/4 it seems like they usually go to stuff like 5/4 or 7/8 or stranger.
>>
did you miss the entire period when waltzes were popular?

They're been popular for hundred of years.

The real question is why is so little popular music in fugal form?
>>
>>65105211
What artists make waltz music?
>>
File: Chevelle - Wonder What's Next.jpg (31 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Chevelle - Wonder What's Next.jpg
31 KB, 400x400
>>65105407
Early Chevelle has more songs in 3 than in 4.
>>
File: 71Fqs7zZBBL._SL1300_.jpg (188 KB, 1300x1300) Image search: [Google]
71Fqs7zZBBL._SL1300_.jpg
188 KB, 1300x1300
>>
Neutral Milk Hotel is a popular music that uses waltzes
>>
Avril Lavigne has some rock ballads in 3. It's actually quite common for a rock album to inlcude one or two waltzes. In electronic music, they're very rare, though.

This is my favourite dubstep waltz:
https://soundcloud.com/deepheads/kromestar-boookey
>>
>>65105975
Hang on, that's 6/8. Eh, close enough.
>>
>>65105999
There's a massive gray area between 3/4 and 6/8 desu

Sick trips, fitting for the topic at hand
>>
>>65103616
I think one reason for this is that part of the enjoyment of odd meters is that you build the listeners expectation and then subvert it by "missing a beat" - with 3/4 you don't have time to build up the expectation so you don't get that effect

3/4 is also not as straightforward to dance or generally move along to so you don't see it as much in generic pop music aimed for the masses
>>
>>65106058
I'm retarded when it comes to time sigs. Care to explain the difference between, say 3/4 and 6/8?
>>
>>65106329
3/4 is three groups of two and 6/8 is two groups of three. They can easily blend or coexist though.
>>
>>65106329
>6/8
one two three FOUR five six | one two three FOUR five six
>3/4
one two THREE | one two THREE | one two THREE | one two THREE

Caps indicate the accent. I'm obviously generalising but it's mainly to do with where the accent is placed. At least that's how it was explained to me, but I've always found it to make sense
>>
>>65106369
>>65106397
>>
The upper number is obviously the amount of beats in a bar, but what does the lower number in a time signature represent?
>>
>>65106441
What kind of note. 4 means quarter note.
>>
>>65106441
The top number is how many notes there are in the measure, the bottom number describes what kind of note the top number measures.

The top number doesn't always describe the number of beats. For instance, 12/8 means there are 12 eighth notes per measure, but the beat is usually given by dotten quarter notes.
>>
6/8 is not popular in rock because it's extremely hard for drummers to pull off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDkrMi8B15U

Example - only a few cymbal crashes are used here because Keith Moon was simply unable to handle that time signature, partially due to ill health from alcoholism, but even fit, healthy drummers have a hard time with it.
>>
>>65106397

for 6/8, wouldnt it be:

ONE two three FOUR five six
>>
Piano Man is a great song in 3/4
my favourite time signature is 5/4 though desu, thanks Fripp
now whenver I record things I have some compulsive obligation to either make it in 5/4 or add a 5/4 poly-rhythm to at least one part of the song if not more
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWAsI3U2EaE

My favorite pop song written in 6/8. I especially like the intro phrase, which is written as one measure of 6/8 and one measure of 7/8.
>>
>>65107406
It could be but I was pretty much basing my description on a super simple 6/8 drumbeat:
>kick hat hat snare hat hat
where the snare would provide the accent. There are multiple places to place accents in 6/8, I was just going for the most simplified version
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.