[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do lyrics accompany music, or does music accompany lyrics? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: image.gif (2 MB, 363x269) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 363x269
Do lyrics accompany music, or does music accompany lyrics? I'm talking with this girl and she seems to think that lyrics are more important, but honestly I couldn't care less for lyrics as long as they're not completely inane
>>
>>65099072
Depends on what the lyrics have to say, how they're delivered, but more so what they have to say. I can think of one album where the lyrics are just kind of there, completely secondary to the instruments. But most of the stuff I listen to the lyrics work in tandem with the music. What do you listen to man?
>>
File: image.jpg (133 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
133 KB, 800x800
>>
Is the art form called music or lyrics? If you want or require top tier lyricism or prose read a poem or a book
>>
>>65099100
Mostly folk and shoegaze. I showed her Joanna Newsom though and she agreed that the music is way more important than the lyrics in Ys. What about you, what do you listen to?
>>
>>65099116
This just might be stupider than what OP said nice.
>>
>>65099123
Except the point holds true and is accurate. The lyrics are there to compliment the music, if there are any. Not a single song lyric can rival against actual poetry or prose nor they even should. This doesn't of course apply for specific subgenres that rely heavily on spoken word for example but in thebig picture that's how it is
>>
>>65099121
I'd assume most lyrics are important in folk music, but I don't listen to much folk. Shoegaze I can understand I suppose, but I don't listen to much shoegaze either. Right now I've got

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX2CmkdTIgE

playing. Which is a disjointed tale about a man waiting for his woman to come home. Very unusual playing mixed with surreal lyrics and occasional pained yelling have the lyrics and instruments working really well together; that is to say I don't think I'd enjoy this song near as much without the lyrics.

Call it a case-by-case basis. I mean, just as an example of convenience, I can't imagine how many Death Grips listeners actually listen to the lyrics.
>>
>>65099072
Lyrics accompany music.
You can have music without lyrics but lyrics without music is called poetry.
>>
>>65099072
>>65099116
You two should compete in The Retard Olympics.
>>
>>65099167
>Not a single song lyric can rival against actual poetry or prose nor they even should

What the fuck this is assuming that all poetry is somehow this god-given gift that is always great which is just untrue. You might have more of a case if we were talking strictly prose. Otherwise I'd easily put Mike Kinella's "Never Meant" against the most heartrending of Pablo Neruda poetry.
>>
>>65099175
I kinda dig that, thanks for sharing. I'll have to check them out more. And yeah I think you're right, it probably is really dependent on the intent of the artist as well as the story being told (if there is any).
>>
>>65099175
>, I can't imagine how many Death Grips listeners actually listen to the lyrics.
Alot of it is mindless, but quite a few songs have insane, on-point lyrics. Beware for example
>>
>>65099072
neither, they accompany each other
>>
>>65099072
>Do lyrics accompany music, or does music accompany lyrics?
The honest answer is that it's up to the composer.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.