[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/mu/ why try to make it as a professional musician? I didn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 1386008056493.jpg (56 KB, 597x519) Image search: [Google]
1386008056493.jpg
56 KB, 597x519
/mu/ why try to make it as a professional musician? I didn't realize until I started trying to make a push with my band just how many people are trying it vs how many people actually get to do it. Even if your music is good you could still get nowhere. You could release great material and still sell 5 copies.

Why do it? Or how do you think you can keep from just being another drop in the bucket of your local/regional scene? Where do you find the hope to try for it, and how the hell do the people that do make it do it?
>>
If this matters to you at all, playing music is not for you.
>>
>>65092183
>why do it?

what a fag
>>
>>65092896
this so fucking much
>>
dont do it
>>
>>65092183
>wanting to be a professional musician

If you weren't good enough to be doing it professionally by the time you left high school, you won't ever be good enough. You should have went to college or learned a trade.
>>
If you weren't a virtuoso by 15 and started getting full ride scholarships to music schools by 17, you will never make it today. Just the way it is. This applies to all the arts, by the way - all the contemporary authors, painters, musicians, sculptors, etc. that will be remembered a hundred years from now will all be teen prodigies who went to top tier schools for their respective discipline due to an overabundance of wannabe "out-of-nowhere"s.

Give up trying to be famous and have fun instead. Art isn't for fame. If you just want to be famous, go into a niche field of science and name something after yourself somewhere along the line. Art is for self-expression, and people in it for attention or historical importance are what killed art's value in the first place.
>>
>>65092183
If you're so obsessed with making it (which you shouldn't be) you have to hustle. Be prolific and send your stuff to labels. Play at local venue, set up soundcloud/bandcamp, etc etc etc. Anything you can do

>>65094262
Not true for popular musicians
>>
You hace To know that can take years, you can't have a dark side of the moon without a Piper of the gates of down, a loveless without an isn't anything, a in the aeroplane over the sea without on a Avery island, a kid a without a Pablo honey, just go with it
>>
>>65094777
>Kid A without a Pablo Honey
Are you saying that a band can't have a cult favorite record without a bad record with one song that gets them worldwide fame even today?
>>
File: record sales.jpg (115 KB, 750x670) Image search: [Google]
record sales.jpg
115 KB, 750x670
>>65092183
I don't know, right? You should've gotten an actual job
>>
>>65094262
Would have been nice to be able to live out some crazy childhood fantasy like this.

It's kind of like those kids in California that go to school during the summer months so they can train for the Winter X Games when it's cold or those kids that get to play football at places like IMG Academy where they're basically guaranteed full ride scholarships.
>>
/oldfag/ here

I ruined my whole life trying to be a musician

Now I'm in my 30's with no real skills and nobody gives a shit if I can play guitar because I'm old and ugly now
>>
>>65095307
>ugly now

but you were always ugly
>>
>>65095307
OP here, I actually already finished a Bachelor's degree and doing my first of two planned grad degrees right now

But like music's still my biggest passion. If I had a chance to do that, even if it's for 5-10 years before I have to get a real job, I'd really want to.

Like I'm not sacrificing my life to play music, but that's also because I can realize how slim a chance I have of making anything out of it
>>
>>65092183
I'm perfectly fine with getting nowhere. I know it's a cliche thing to say, but I perform only for fun. I've been poor my whole life; I can withstand another 50 years of poverty.
>>
>>65092183
If you're playing just to get famous or get pussy then give up, and kill yourself while you're at it.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.