[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How long does it takes to learn music theory and what does it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: qeq.jpg (98 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
qeq.jpg
98 KB, 600x450
How long does it takes to learn music theory and what does it takes to become a composer?
>>
>>65075542
10,000+ hours of practice
could be less depending on your learning ability and talent
good luck
>>
>>65075542

you have to be born with natural talent
>>
>>65075833
You said nothing about music theory did you?
>>
What are you trying to compose? Learning music theory isn't hard, just a matter of memorization. The challenging aspect is applying it to an instrument.

Songwriting isn't easy. It all depends on your vision and goals.
>>
>>65075542

don't bother. everything has already been done.
>>
>>65075542
>want to compose an epic hymn to yohgsothoth
>don't know how

what's the music theory for non-euclidean geometry?
>>
>>65075861
thats included in the 10,000 hours and whether or not you're a fast or slow learner
stop posting and get to work
>>
>>65075851
I don't deny it but still that wont stop me to try.
>>65075874
I want to make something otherworldly.

>>65075881
Not even close.Just when I think I've heard everything I get surprised by something completely different.And being done doesn't mean that It was done right.
>>
>>65075542
>>
>>65076000
what
>>
http://www.global-trance.com/misc/music_theory_tldr.pdf
start memorizing and then apply it to whatever you have.
but actually perfecting composition/songwriting/whatever the fuck takes forever
just have fun with it
>>
>>65075542
Theory take a few years but composition takes everything you have for the rest of your life.
>>
>>65075542
Exactly 4 years and 5 months. Plus minus 2 weeks give or take.
>>
>>65076737
Thanks for the link
>>65076737
>>65076792
Of course I know that its not easy and even extremely hard.I was just wondering what else than music theory can help me.
>>
>>65078091
Reading and analyzing scores by applying theory to them, learning transposition, sight reading, transcribing orchestral scores to piano, learning relative pitch. And just composing, which includes writing a lot of bad music.
>>
>>65078289
thanks
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.