[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How appreciated is ELO on /mu/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: 1.jpg (30 KB, 362x227) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
30 KB, 362x227
How appreciated is ELO on /mu/?
>>
File: electric light orchestra - time.jpg (392 KB, 1410x1404) Image search: [Google]
electric light orchestra - time.jpg
392 KB, 1410x1404
I just listened to Time for the first time the other day, it sounds dated but okay
>>
>>65074156
not sure but his performance was GOAT. I saw it when it originally aired BTW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLNR4xfh1Qc
>>
>>65074156
EEEEEEEEEEVIL WOMAN
>>
>>65074172
Prog tends to sound dated 35 years later. ELO is kind of an acquired taste, but this album is more difficult to get into than their more popular albums.
>>
omg it's those faggots that copied Daft Punk' face to face
>>
>>65074156
I have their whole discography, still havent listened to it
>>
>>65074248
what are you blabbering about. ELO did a cover of a Daft Punk song.?
>>
>>65074156
It does what it's designed to do. Ratings inflation is only a problem because fide won't raise the demands for titles desu.
>>
I like ELO but they're really corny

They are really white
>>
>>65074156
Love them. Perfect pop. When pop music meant something.
>>
Shit prog band. Shit pop band. Shit disco band.

Only had 3 good songs too so that really doesn't help
>>
>>65074256
How did you manage that?

>>65074248
Confused

>>65074279
Confused about this as well

>>65074314
They are pretty white. I'll give you that, but the were really talented musicians.
>>
Every song sounds like a Paul McCartney song.
>>
>>65074396
I'd like to hear an explanation for that opinion.
>>
>>65074398
I got a box set of all their albums for christmas, I heard I think the first two albums and didnt really like them, I think because of all the covers, do like Out Of The Blue as an album though
>>
>>65074396
Also what are the 3 songs you speak of?

>>65074418
John Lennon once said if the Beatles had continued making music into the 70's, they probably would have sounded a lot like ELO, so ELO was sort of a spiritual successor to the Beatles.
>>
>>65074396
Turbopleb detected
>>
I liked them slightly better when they called themselves The Move.
>>
>>65074463
>Also what are the 3 songs you speak of?
Mr. Blue Sky, Wishing, Telephone Line, Midnight Blue

That's it for me. Everything else sounds exactly the same like those 4 songs and I can't be assed with any of that corny space garbage

>>65074549
I agree
>>
>>65074463
I think that distinction would actually go to Badfinger, or, perhaps Klaatu
>>
>>65074172
Time is easily their best album

You are kind of right, but those kinds of effects are always going to be outdated when new technology rolls around. At least you can say one thing for that era, the 80s synths really do create a unique sound that the fedoras in nightcore have failed to recreate
>>
>>65074583
>Badfinger
they actually may as well have been the beatles though they were on apple, george helped them out on their albums and paul wrote their first (and best) single fuck i wanna listen to believe me now

>klaatu
A corny space version of Queen and ELO
>>
Time is overrated. Twilight is ELO's best song, but everything else aside from Yours Truly, 2095, Here Is The News, and Hold On Tight is extremely weak
>>
>>65074640
You are extremely weak
>>
>>65074565
I commend you for picking 2 of their more obscure songs.

>>65074549
God damn you're really going back for that reference.
>>
>>65074700
Out of the Blue or even A New World Record are way better, but /mu/ doesn't want to admit it because those are their most popular albums with most of their hits.
>>
>>65074640
i agree
i especially hate the way life's meant to be it's like merseybeat and phil spector meets space and I can't stand it
>>
>>65074637
Well, Come and Get It was originally going to be a Beatles' song, and The Beatles' version is actually included on Anthology Vol. 3.
And as far as your comments about Klaatu, well this IS an ELO thread, so it's all connected.

>>65074721
You're the second person to comment on The Move. At least two people remember them. Good on ya, son.
>>
>>65074763
Eldorado, Face the Music, New World Record, and Out of the Blue were all good albums.I have Face the Music and New World Record on 12" LP. I no longer have Out of the Blue because I bought that one on 8-Track and i got rid of all my 8-Tracks in the early 90's
>>
>>65074832
what is it with you old people and elo
>>
>>65074839
The same thing it with us older folks and all the good music of the 70's I guess.
>>
>>65074763
I thought discovery was pretty good, on par with world record.

>>65074800
I know more than just The Move. I've heard of Lynne's old band Idle Race as well but i've never looked into them.

>>65074839
ELO is fantastic, bro.
>>
>>65074954
Thanks for the tip. I shall do a google search on the band Idle Race.
>>
>>65074954
>Idle Race
Don't bother it's just vaudeville pop trash like the beatles and kinks were doing around that time sadly
>>
File: 1.png (155 KB, 394x400) Image search: [Google]
1.png
155 KB, 394x400
OP here. I'm an ELO fanatic. I'm even into their later shit like secret messages and pic related. I even know about zoom. The title track on secret messages is under appreciated if you ask me.
>>
>>65074979
Listening to their first album now. Holy fuck you weren't kidding. This is rough.
>>
>>65074398
The chess ratings system is called Elo, sometimes spelled ELO for no good reason whatsoever.
>>
>>65075075
Some of it is GOAT though when you get past... that stuff.

On With the Show and (Don't Put Your Boys in the Army) Mrs. Ward are great songs
>>
>>65074979
Now I want to check them out even more.
>>
>>65075122
Do it for the sake of musical exploration.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.