[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>last time any of the members of Pink Floyd saw him was in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: Syd-Barrett.jpg (202 KB, 1280x946) Image search: [Google]
Syd-Barrett.jpg
202 KB, 1280x946
>last time any of the members of Pink Floyd saw him was in the 70s
>none of them attended his funeral

Did they even care about him?
>>
>>65073717
His family didn't want them visiting him because his mental problems tended to worsen when pf was brought up. As for the funeral I don't know, maybe they thought photographers would follow of them or something. I definitely don't think they didn't care about him.
>>
>>65073717
no
>>
I knew this guy who was convinced that all the other members of PF dosed Syd with acid repeatedly, intending to fuck his mind up and drive him out of the group.

This dude would literally cry about Syd all the time. I don't hang with him any more.
>>
>>65073717
they did care, I can't be bothered to find sources but Waters stated a reason for not showing up, I believe. Also, dedicating your catalogues longest song to him must at least mean SOMETHING, nigga.
>>
>>65073865
no, but his friends did that.
>>
>>65073884
Syd's friends?
>>
>>65073865
Are you sure he wasn't dosed with acid too?
>>
At some point probably not. The remaining members of PF have pretty much been on an ego trip since the late 70s. Unfortunately for them, their greatest contribution to culture manifested in having Hipgnosis design the Dark Side of the Moon album cover, to be emblazoned on vintage-looking t-shirts forever.
>>
>>65073943
No, but he did have a subscription to Bitch magazine, if that gives you any indication of his personality.
>>
>>65073969
The BLANDest.
>>
>>65073868

damn, I never realized Shine On was longer than Dogs til now

I googled it because I was so eager to call you out lol
>>
They certainly did care, but nobody really knew much about how to handle psychedelia problems and by the time they figured out how far gone he was, it was too late . From Mason's book about pf:
>"Roger also called Syd's brother, saying we were extremely worried about him - he came down to London and went to see Syd, emerging to say he thought everything would be all right. This was s recurring reaction. There would be a lot of talk about Syd's condition but then he would have a good, focused period and we would think, great, he was back to normal. "
>>
there wasn't even a funeral. it was just a private family thing
>>
>>65073865
but didn't he write all their music when he was in the band?
>>
>>65074772
>a guy I knew had this theory that made no sense at all
>but does that make sense?
>>
idk, i care about my aging grandpa but i hardly see him because it's sad watching him lose his mind and i guess it's just hassle and i'm a bit of a shitty person

but yeah, i guess there's different types of caring. there are lots of people you care about but can't necessarily give the energy to show it properly. everyone has their limits, it's just human nature
>>
From what I've read, Roger made sure that Syd received every penny that was owed to him from back royalties.

I also heard that Roger would check in on Syd from time to time in the 1970s. In fact, the opening scene in The Wall, where "Pink" is sitting in a chair letting his cigarette burn to the filter was based on something that Roger saw Syd do.
>>
Syd never went crazy. He just wanted to be a legend. It was performance art. He didn't particularly enjoy performing live/touring, so he bowed out gracefully and continued to write for Pink Floyd, feeding Roger Waters the music while he played out the "crazy syd" solo era in his spare time for fun

He wrote a lot of songs that glorified himself, like SOYCD etc
>>
>>65074970
>feeding Roger Waters the music
So that means he didn't write the Gilmour era material? I would hope so.
>>
how do you tell if you're crazy anyway

if a group of other people, even like 4 or 5, label you as crazy then that's pretty much it. scary stuff yo
>>
>>65074727
Also, they did meet Syd from time to time and helped him produce his solo albums, but he was seriously ill and became a recluse. Some more quotes from Mason:
>One paper also reported that Syd's sister Rosemary had asked him what he thought about the reunion. She remarked he had not reacted at all. "He's no longer Syd", she said. "He's Roger now."

>I just did not feel it right to try and contact Syd. He had had his own life for a very long time, and to burst through his door in Cambridge waving my text in his face would have been extremely invasive and unfair."
>>
>>65074970
The Fuck man, that's straight up not true
>>
>>65075092
nope nope nope
It's all true, Syd was in control the whole time, he even faked his death so the tabloids would leave him alone, he's alive and well, secretly living his life, he's happy
>>
>>65075356
Nice bait.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.