[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can somebody explain to be how this modern phenomenon of artists
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: fC2xXVA.jpg (108 KB, 640x620) Image search: [Google]
fC2xXVA.jpg
108 KB, 640x620
Can somebody explain to be how this modern phenomenon of artists just existing came to be? I feel like there are tons of artists like this in the pop and hip hop community.

I'm not being an edge poster either I'm just baffled I enjoy pop and hip hop but I don't know a single person who could call themselves a vic mensa or Gwens Stefani fan. Yet some how they're selling records? Who's buying them though, how are they on the radio yet nobody really likes them, yet there are tons of cult artists like MADEINTYO selling out shows? I'm just really baffled about theses artists who just exist
>>
bump for discussion
>>
social media
>>
>>65070230
I could see how this could play a part but your answer is too vague please expand upon it
>>
>>65069878
people who like them don't talk about it. simple as that
>>
>>65070319
Maybe but when you ask someone about music, they should name them. I don' know anyone who says Megahn Trainor, Gwen Stefani, Trey Songz or people like that. Yet I know tons of people who like Ariana Grandeor, Katy Perry and would name drop them when appropriate.

And it's weird to me becuase all these people are on the radio yet I don't know anyone who enjoys or goes out to see them. And you would think if they weren't selling records the A&R would drop them. Yet they're still there in forced relevance. I don't get it.
>>
>>65070427
new meghan trainor is fucking awesome fight me
>>
>>65070427
>Trey Songz
fwiw I've read a positive review of one his concerts.

but more generally, how many people do you talk to and how representative of the population are they? my guess is that it's a largely a matter of random chance and demographics
>>
>>65070499
>how many people do you talk to
seriously

>I KNOW EVERYONE
>>
>>65069878
i love gwen stefani. i like one vic mensa song (u mad)
>>
>>65069878
I am a Vic Mensa fan. He sold out with all his recent singles, but Lovely Day from Innanetape is top 5 favorite song for me. He's talented, but I'm afraid he's lost to the easy money.
>>
>>65070427
>Yet I know tons of people who like Ariana Grandeo
starting the new one now

first song was really good

now on the 2nd song is just the title track I've already heard a few times
>>
Obviously they don't just exist, they establish a presence. That might mean that their fame isn't earned completely through "good music", but in the end that's subjective, and the truth is having an image and character is more important for monetary success than just making the art.
>>
>>65070657
But to me Vic is one of those artists that just exists same with the other artists I listened.

>>65070499
I live I'm based in NYC and i travel a lot and I talk about music with everyone and there are some artists that just never come up.

Seriously I don't recall a single time someone said they enjoy PINk yet it's on the radio everywhere. I just do get it you know?

If they are selling like they said why does nobody really like them? Or is this A&R, radio and chart shit just some behind the scenes sham
>>
>>65070511
>I KNOW EVERYONE
he's actually serious
>>
>>65069878
my bro loves early vic mensa because of kids these days and his earlier stuff is ok
>>
>>65069878
this vic mensa song is great https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGXmAeXjV_0

vic mensa is doing well because hes a talented artist. hes been making good music since innanetape
>>
In the record industry, artists are products. There's an advantage to having a familiar brand. It just sells. So artists stay at the top for a while until they're wrung dry. Also maybe this system isn't working as well now, and it's easier for newer artists to make it more on their own with social media and shit
>>
I'm pretty excited about Vic's debut album, U Mad and Down on my Luck are good singles and his mixtape shows potential
>>
http://www.tunecore.com/blog/2011/09/how-to-get-your-song-on-commercial-radio.html

https://mic.com/articles/95260/how-the-music-industry-is-brainwashing-you-to-like-bad-pop-songs#.g5viYIyl5

http://www.trueskool.com/forum/topics/the-real-reason-why-they-repeat-the-same-20-songs-on-the-radio-tv

tl;dr payola, passive music listeners, the telecommunications act of 1996, focus groups
>>
>>65071380
This.

But my question is are they really selling records? I don't know the last time I knew anyone who listened to Pink or bought something from her.

So my question is are they really profitable enough to justify this ringing dry?

I feel like they're kick a dead horse if that makes sense.
>>
>>65070427
it's simple. they polish turds one million times and force them onto people until they like it. it's really that simple. labels can basically choose whatever gets played on the radio. pay some dude to write a catchy chorus for your retard pop star, play it on the radio one million times and bam $$$$$. it's pretty simple
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.